Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 2008 Element for less than a year and I just got my Catalytic Converter stolen. Upon doing research, I've found that the Honda Element is one of the most targeted vehicles on the market that gets its cat. conv. stolen.
I've looked online at devices like the CatClamp, CatLoc etc... but I have to say that I am underwhelmed. Since this is a HUGE problem that potentially affects all Element owners, why hasn't anyone out there created a custom metal plate that fits an Element?
Or maybe a custom metal cage for form fitting an Element's cat. conv. ?
With desperate people experiencing hard financial times and the prices of the precious metals (that are contained in the catalytic converter) at an all time high price, it looks like this is becoming an epidemic itself.
Help!

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
There was someone on this site that had an idea using a very heavy stranded cable wrapped around the pipes and convertor and then welded to the frame. There was no way a thief with a battery battery powered sawzall could cut through that!

I'm not trying to be a hard a$$, but I don't share your sympathy for "desperate people experiencing hard financial times". There are all kinds of churches and other charities helping people out of work with their needs. No one has to resort to stealing; even in bad times like these. It's not an issue of need; rather a character flaw. A common thief is still just a common thief, good times or bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was someone on this site that had an idea using a very heavy stranded cable wrapped around the pipes and convertor and then welded to the frame. There was no way a thief with a battery battery powered sawzall could cut through that!

I'm not trying to be a hard a$$, but I don't share your sympathy for "desperate people experiencing hard financial times". There are all kinds of churches and other charities helping people out of work with their needs. No one has to resort to stealing; even in bad times like these. It's not an issue of need; rather a character flaw. A common thief is still just a common thief, good times or bad.

No judgement either way about the thefts that are going on. I was merely stating the high probability that during hard times, some people resort to stealing. I expect we all need to be on the lookout for this increased probability.
Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Having running boards makes it a little more difficult to crawl under there. Not sure if you're equipped with those or not. As far as an anti theft device, sorry I'm no help.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like a great idea - you should get on designing, fabricating, putting out the capital expense, storing the inventory, shipping, etc. :)
Hmmm... maybe that's why. Certainly why i'm not signing up for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Harbor Freight driveway alarm...$20... mount the sensor under the car in a ZipLock if you're on the city street or set the sensor on the dash if you're in your driveway. Put the receiver next to your bed. Oh, I forgot... $ .90 for a hollow point .223 or $5 for a thrift store baseball bat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just had mine stolen a week ago. Little bast*@d cut it out in less than a minute at 6am. Neighbor heard it and ran out to stop them, just seconds too late. Still waiting for the repair part. Collision center says they have to custom order it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a 2008 Element for less than a year and I just got my Catalytic Converter stolen. Upon doing research, I've found that the Honda Element is one of the most targeted vehicles on the market that gets its cat. conv. stolen.
I've looked online at devices like the CatClamp, CatLoc etc... but I have to say that I am underwhelmed. Since this is a HUGE problem that potentially affects all Element owners, why hasn't anyone out there created a custom metal plate that fits an Element?
With desperate people experiencing hard financial times and the prices of the precious metals (that are contained in the catalytic converter) at an all time high price, it looks like this is becoming an epidemic itself.
Help!
Help!
I was very lucky, after some #$% tried to cut through the cat pipes on my 06, that the local muffler shop was able to weld rebar onto three sides of the repaired system (SF Bay area) : call around and see if any of your local muffler shops are doing this- repair and 'hardened' system only cost me $350.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts