Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 E, a 2007 Fit, a 1982 Goldwing, and a Honda 6500 watt generator. You might say that I like Honda products. Unfortunately I have to go to Honda dealerships to buy the cars. I am slowly looking at a new car, and today when I walked into the dealership I noticed that every car had $295 worth of dealer added door strips installed. 30 cents worth of plastic edging put on a door, and this markup. I don't care if it can be negotiated off, I don't care about getting to the bottom line. I see that and I think that someone wants to gouge me or just plain thinks I am stupid. I walked off. Maybe I'll buy a Toyota.

The stereotype of slimeball dealerships is reinforced again.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
This isn't something exclusive to Honda. This is rampant across all brands, it is the owners of the stealerships that are doing this. Unfortunately you need to consider a new car purchase a game and just deal with it. Negotiate via email and put in your email that you don't want ANY dealer add-ons or the deal will never happen.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do blame the dealers. I was just hoping that a recession might have made a few of them a little more intelligent.

·
12,179 Posts
Customer walks in the door. Wan't to buy vehicle at cost or close to. Dealer needs to make profit. Dealer tacks on a few dollars worth of accessories to try and generate a profit off the vehicle.

Is it the dealers fault he wants to make money off the cars he sells? Salesman has to be paid to. Any extra that can be made off the car benifits both. The salesmen don't get rich off selling the car. They get make commision off the accessories and ad on's as well.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The good one around here is the $695 to $900 paint protection package. :roll:
thats cheap compared to Boyland Honda's $1400 protection package that they add to EVERY new car. That and painted pin striping (which I hate), and they charge $400 for that!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Customer walks in the door. Wan't to buy vehicle at cost or close to. Dealer needs to make profit. Dealer tacks on a few dollars worth of accessories to try and generate a profit off the vehicle.

Is it the dealers fault he wants to make money off the cars he sells? Salesman has to be paid to. Any extra that can be made off the car benifits both. The salesmen don't get rich off selling the car. They get make commision off the accessories and ad on's as well.
dealers dont make their profit on new cars. Only a few hundred, if any. They make their profit on their used inventory. They rape customers on their trade-ins and then turn around and sell them with thousands of profit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try here

http://www.autoland.com

Owned by 200 or so credit unions that would like your auto loan business, but you don't have to belong to a credit union to use, and you can always pay cash. (I have no relationship to them other than being a satisfied customer. I used them after trying AAA, Costco, and USAA buying services - which all still make you hassle with dealers.) Happy hunting!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not opposed to dealers making a profit. I never have been. What I am opposed to is the flagrant and insulting overcharges for stupid add ons. The way to make a profit is to figure out what the net cost is, including holdbacks, rebates, overhead, etc, and simply not sell the car for less. Offer the stupid door protectors for fifty bucks after the sale and they might sell a few.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
dealers dont make their profit on new cars. Only a few hundred, if any. They make their profit on their used inventory. They rape customers on their trade-ins and then turn around and sell them with thousands of profit.
My Honda Dealer had two near identical vehicles a while ago. A new fit with .9% financing for ~$15K, and a used one with ~18k miles for almost $2K more and used car financing.
When I asked the GM he stated that the two markets are VERY different and many folks who look at used cars do not really investigate and compare...

Yes, they make their $$$$ off trade-ins and service....

·
Registered
2 Posts
thats cheap compared to Boyland Honda's $1400 protection package that they add to EVERY new car. That and painted pin striping (which I hate), and they charge $400 for that!
Just because they add it doesn't mean I will pay for it. I remember someone whose dealer added a little metal dealer badge. He told them to remove it. He ended up keeping it, for $200 more off the car.

I had a Ford salesman tell me that THEIR store had no additional dealer markup. I asked him - you mean you get people who pay full sticker? He said "Yes, you'd be surprised how many," without batting an eye considering I just called him on BS. :grin:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
.............. I asked him - you mean you get people who pay full sticker? He said "Yes, you'd be surprised how many," without batting an eye considering I just called him on BS. :grin:
He is right, I know such people, and I have witnessed it personally. I '07 when the 'new' style CR-V came out I watched this elderly couple accepting their new CR-V. The sales lady had every bit of accessory and trim nailed to the thing. It was rigged like Spanish battle ship and I can just imagine how they got peeled that day...
An acquaintance of mine came rolling up with a Solara coupe. It didn't look right so I asked him how he ended up with that thing. Oh, I first got a Scion, but three weeks later I really didn't like it so I went back to the dealer and traded it in. When he asked what I wanted I told him I didn't know but what do you have on the lot? So he showed me the Solara and I bought it... GO FREAKIN' FIGURE!!!!! I am sure he took a huge bath on all of these transactions....

·
Registered
121 Posts
We test drove a 2001 Prelude (in 2001) and were laughing a guy who bought a Civic, full body kit, rims, etc all done up by the dealership. He was very proud of his purchase which at sticker price, was about a thousand dollars over a Prelude SE which would of rocked that car.

When I bought the Element the ONLY extra I paid for was 3M coating on the hood. I didn't pay for the window etching or locking nuts but they were on the car when I picked it up anyhow.....score! They tried, paint protection, warranty, glass protection, fabric protection...........

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
They tried, paint protection, warranty, glass protection, fabric protection...........
:shock: W-H-A-T...???? :shock:

You've got to PAY for THAT???

LBD

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well as a dealership employee for the past 38 years, I should be right at home at getting flamed for being a low life stealership employee. Every board that I have been on flames dealerships. I wonder if you would like to let every one know what you do for a living so we can flame you and your place of work. If you want a new car check out the internet for deals in your area, know the price or the car, know what rebates if any are on the car. Have your bank financing and rates worked out, and last of all if you don't like the deal just say no. You can go and get a price from another dealer. Also the stupidest move you can make is trade in your car. If you are smart enough to buy one you can sell one. Every dealer anywhere will mark up the wholesale trade in price by $3,000 to $4,000 dollars. This covers the cost of prep, cleanup sales expense and mony the dealer will make on the car. If you just have to be lazy and trade your car in make sure you clean out your clutter, wash the car dress the tires and make it look like you would want it to look if you were going to buy it. I am in on the appraisal process at the dealer that I work at, and a clean trade will some times bring $1,000 to $1,500 more on trade. That is a lot of money for a few hours of work and at most $50.00 in cost. Remember dealer overhead is like your home expense through the roof. Our employee health care (the part that the dealer pays ) is over $150,000 a year add to that software license and maintence $8,000 per month and it goes on and on. So yes the dealer tries to make all they can to keep in business and keep the 60 to 70 workers with jobs and off the streets. Sorry for the rant just a touchy subject.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yeah, accessories, I don't mind the dealer trying to make a buck. Things like roof-rack, side-steps, fog lights, mud guards, etc. Then it's your choice (even though markup is at least 50%). The typical dealer rip-off on fabric and paint protection, pin-striping, etc. - I won't pay for even if they "automatically" add it to all their cars. When we bought our E, we were told there was no choice, it was added in receiving. I just told them I knew what these "profit generators" actually cost them - as I have a friend that works for one of the wholesaler's that sells the stuff to Dealers (Dealer cost is about 5% of what they actually charge for them), and they could either not add them, or subtract the cost from our deal - the sales guy just laughed, and subtracted the cost - about $600. Just go in informed, and both you and the dealership will be happy with the sale. They won't sell you a car at cost - don't expect it. But be knowledgeable enough that you aren't overpaying..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts