Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUst wondering why so many slavaged cars seem to be on the market now a days. I'm not talking about "Katrina" cars shipped over to the west coast. Have prices on minor accident repairs just gotten out of hand, so they just write off the car, and someone else rebuilds it. I'm seeing a number of cars that didn't have airbag deployment, but needed a new fender, hood, grill etc (w/o frame straigthening) that have salvaged titles. Looking to replace my ageing and battle scarred commuter car buying a salvaged car doesn't look so bad, as long as you're not going to hope to sell it for more later with that title.
Looking at Honda, Lexus and Acura. If I get the car checked out, am I still just looking for a headache?????:confused:
thanks Josh

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It may have gotten a bit worse (repair estimates plus salvage value being greater than than the repaired value), but I think the biggest difference is in the reporting.

More stuff is being reported to the various agencies, more emphasis is being put on "proper" paper work to avoid fraud, so more mildly damaged vehicles are being labeled "salvage."

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reporting repair estimates

That makes sense Apriliaguy. My car hit an airborn AC cover (fiberglass, from a RV) they charged the insurance company $3700. There really wasn't that much damage. Glad I didn't have to pay though.
Josh

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,491 Posts
IMHO I believe it also has to do with any damage exceeding a certain dollar amount qualifying the title to be listed as "salvage". With newer cars built to absorb the impact (versus "bounce off" 20 years ago), they receive more damage per "slight" impact. You are right, it may not be a problem to buy a salvaged vehicle, just need to make sure the damage has been repaired right, or is "just" basically body panel/light replacement. :confused::|
I have seen more than a couple Es on fleabay with a salvage title and seemingly minor damage (non frame, etc.). But, then again, I'm not a body shop guy either...... :shock::razz::razz:

Good luck in your search..... :)

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
I looked at a few Odyssey's with a salvaged title.....big thing to look at is the company selling the vehicle....do they offer warranty on the work they did...and if so, for how long? If they're not offering any type of warranty, look elsewhere.

Legit car companies will offer these things to put the buyers mind at ease and ensure a sale....They also should show you pics of the vehicle before the repairs were made, so you can see the extent of the damage.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
A lot of it has to do with the Insurance companies. As posted above, new cars are ment to "absorb" damage. This translates into a fair amount of "hidden" damage that isn't known about until the car is worked on. For example, an Insurance estimate done by a claims adjuster/visual inspection may be $3K, but turn into $5K once the car is at the body shop. Add in car rental for the 5 weeks in the shop, etc... So Insurance companies build in a "fudge-factor" guess of probable hidden damage, length of time to repair (car rental), paperwork involved, salvage value, etc. And make a decision on what is most cost-effective for THEM ( not you). So, yes, a lot of "lightly" damaged cars are being salvaged, sold, and then repaired by an indy shop. If the shop is reputable, and the damage minor - can be a good deal.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have had great luck with salvage vehicles. I have bought several Honda's, some the airbags were deployed, some were not. My wifes winter car for the past two winters was a 96 Civic coupe that needed a hood, fender, bumper cover and headlight, when I bought it for $1600. It took me about 6 hours to fix the car (not including paint). We drove it for almost 2 years and I sold it cheap for $3k because I sold it to a family member of a friend who was taking it to college. I think it depends on the area you are in as to whether or not people see the value in a salvage title car. Contrary to popular belief, there are some great values to be had in a salvage car. Just remember, I am not talking about 2 cars that were welded toghether to make one, lol. I mean cars that are still have a sound structure and have more cosmetic damage than anything. It also wasn't a requirement for me to have a working airbag system in a car (except for the one my wife was driving) and I always make sure people looking at/buying cars know what the car has been through and I usually offer to show pics of the damage prior to the repair. I say go for it, especially if you can do some or most of the repairs yourself.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
So, yes, a lot of "lightly" damaged cars are being salvaged, sold, and then repaired by an indy shop. If the shop is reputable, and the damage minor - can be a good deal.
It can be an especially good deal if the repair can be a DIY thing. Look for something w/ mostly "bolt off and back on" damage. Check state regulations for title and registration too. Some can be simple, others can be a paperwork & inspection nightmare.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It can be an especially good deal if the repair can be a DIY thing. Look for something w/ mostly "bolt off and back on" damage. Check state regulations for title and registration too. Some can be simple, others can be a paperwork & inspection nightmare.
Very true. My Father-in-law never owned/bought a new car in his life, and purchased and repaired several salvaged ones himself. All were great cars that he got mega-miles out of, at bargin-basement prices. :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
JUst wondering why so many slavaged cars seem to be on the market now a days. I'm not talking about "Katrina" cars shipped over to the west coast. Have prices on minor accident repairs just gotten out of hand, so they just write off the car, and someone else rebuilds it. I'm seeing a number of cars that didn't have airbag deployment, but needed a new fender, hood, grill etc (w/o frame straigthening) that have salvaged titles. Looking to replace my ageing and battle scarred commuter car buying a salvaged car doesn't look so bad, as long as you're not going to hope to sell it for more later with that title.
Looking at Honda, Lexus and Acura. If I get the car checked out, am I still just looking for a headache?????:confused:
thanks Josh

In this area It has to do with the large gray market trade. There is an industry that operates below The radar.
They can obtain relatively new cars for short money. The insurance company's have to pay to store the crashed totaled cars on lots. Or pay someone to come take them to a recycling center. That's all lost money on top of the claim payment.

In Lew of the loss they turn it into a gain, by auctioning off the wrecks.
They at least recover some of the money.

The people that " Recondition " those wrecks are not held to any standards at all. They can do as good, or bad of a job as they want. Some are not able to be sold in this state, but can be sold out of state. They do that by placing them on the Web.

Dom

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I haven't noticed a lot of it in MI yet.

But then again, I've seen how "vigilant" our Secretary of State is regarding things like crash damage and odometer accuracy. Two stories, both true.

A close friend of mine had his '94 LeSabre stolen in 2001. The thieves wound up getting the car stuck in a vacant lot (after they had driven through a fence), so they smashed every window, the lights, the gauges, the climate controller, et cetera. They then jumped up and down on the roof and caved it in. The police recovered the car, and my friend's dad bought the car back from the insurance and did enough of the repairs himself to make the car drivable. That car is still on the road today (with about 300,000 miles now), and STILL has a "green," as in NOT SALVAGE title.

In 2003, I bought a '95 Buick LeSabre that was represented as having 74,000 miles. It drove well and looked good, but after a couple months, I started to notice a lot of little problems and defects that, from previous experience, I knew would only come up from a car that was either wrecked or of higher mileage (or both). I investigated further and learned that the guy I had bought it from had bought the car at an auto auction, fixed it up, and registered it with 99,930 miles on it. He then went back to the Secretary of State a week later, registered a "Correction to Odometer Record" and re-registered the car with 73,666 miles. I tried to report him, but I was thwarted by levels of state beauracracy unlike anything else I had ever encountered. The process to JUST GET THE FORM to report the guy took me two hours and seven transfers on the phone.

Yep, you may all cry now. If you buy a used car in Michigan, you're really gambling on it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Salvage Title

The big mystery is, why doesn't my birth certificate say "S A L V A G E" across the top? :rolleyes:
Are you SURE you want to be 'salvaged' at the end of your useful life???:-o

·
Registered
157 Posts
insuarance have to salvage them, thinki about it, if it wasnt salvage someone could fix it and sell it and then the buying party would buy it in stead of buying new, not a big deal right, wrong, insurance and car companies work together, to get a new car<car dealer makes money> have to get a loan most time,< bank make money>, then have to have full coverage,<insurance makes money>. you see the circle.now throwing salvage title on something voids you from getting car loan which mean no money to buy the car, the reason you cant get the loan is because insurance wont do full coverage. so that pushes you towards new or used from dealer. i buy salvage and wrecked cars and sell them, this hole circle of money makeing pisses me off bad. i do what i do not because of the money, but the love for cars. i may lucky make 500 profit on a car, and that goes toward all the labor i put into it. insurance is over rated and over price, actually no that isnt right, new cars are over priced and marked up, especially when u get a loan. that s why i believe GM should burn in the grave they dug for them self.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I noticed the OP said they were looking at Honda/Acura and I think Lexus..? anyway aside from the car being in an accident a car can become a salvage title if it is stolen and insurance pays out on the loss and then it's recovered...or it is recovered damaged/missing parts that cause the repair value to exceed the cars value. Many Honda civics are stolen and stripped of airbags/interior/fenders etc things that are easily replaced but cost a lot to insurance companies/body shops to repair. Specifically Honda/Acura vehicles have a higher rate of theft than most so if that is the type of vehicle you are looking for, that will also come up more often.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The big mystery is, why doesn't my birth certificate say "S A L V A G E" across the top? :rolleyes:
....because your surname is FRANKENSTEIN!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts