Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my car but had an experience helping a friend with a problem.

They bought an Element cheap because blah blah blah... runs like crap. Valve adjustment, plugs black as coal. Did that. It's better but P0135 O2 sensor. Installed a new Denso O2, no codes, runs worse. Literally backfiring out the intake. I've never had a Honda motor do that. Put the bad P0135 O2 sensor back in. Code is back but runs fine. What the hell is going on? Put a standoff on the rear O2, no change either configuration. He notices that it has aftermarket injectors. Ok. Bring em in and I'll put em on the tester. This is how they did...

Tableware Juice Solution Ingredient Liquid

This is a one minute test showing how much fuel was flowing through the aftermarket injectors at normal cruising speed. Can you imagine what the ECU was thinking? What the hell is going on? What the hell am I supposed to do? Garbage in, garbage out. Swapping them out with OEM injectors fixed it. Mind you, they were OEM injectors that were pulled from a junkyard E.

This dilemma can cause someone to waste so much money throwing parts at a problem it makes me sick. The E didn't have enough miles on it to even warrant new injectors. But someone, at sometime, bought crap injectors to save a few bucks. They lost a great vehicle for no reason.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Any chance you can get to measure the resistance of the injectors? I wonder if it may correlate to the amount of fuel provided?

Reactions: te1966

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Less likely, but OEM injectors can get clogged too. Look at that nasty yellow fuel. Don’t miss that. E85 fuel is clear like water.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any chance you can get to measure the resistance of the injectors? I wonder if it may correlate to the amount of fuel provided?
10.2 10.4 10.3 10.2 left to right with a base reading on the probes of 0.1. I don't think any of that info would help diagnose.

Reactions: ajchien

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Less likely, but OEM injectors can get clogged too. Look at that nasty yellow fuel. Don’t miss that. E85 fuel is clear like water.
It's a 50/50 mix of injector cleaner and gasoline. And it's cleaned a bunch of injectors. It started out clear lol.

And so far, the dozens of OEM ones have been all or nothing. When they fail, zero fuel. The good ones were always within a line or two on the bottles.

Reactions: AWD

·
Registered
623 Posts
This dilemma can cause someone to waste so much money throwing parts at a problem it makes me sick. The E didn't have enough miles on it to even warrant new injectors. But someone, at sometime, bought crap injectors to save a few bucks. They lost a great vehicle for no reason.
I have seen cases like this before. Sometimes a person throws aftermarket parts at a problem they can not figure out and they create a problem that did not exist before. At some point they give up.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen cases like this before. Sometimes a person throws aftermarket parts at a problem they can not figure out and they create a problem that did not exist before. At some point they give up.
Somewhere in the cobwebbed sarcophagus of my skull is a list of OEM only. You know, stuff the ECU can't monitor directly, like the injectors. Spool valve is obvious but for different reasons. What other parts can y'all think of that, if they fail, can lead you down an expensive rabbit trail?

Reactions: klamath_knot

·
Registered
2004 Fiji LX Ecamper “Ellie,” 2008 Atomic EX “Otherment,” 2003 Eternal EX Chop Top “Chop_E”
406 Posts
That injector tester/cleaner station is awesome! I wish our shop had one of those. Did you build it yourself?

·
Registered
934 Posts
10.2 10.4 10.3 10.2 left to right with a base reading on the probes of 0.1. I don't think any of that info would help diagnose.
Thanks. I‘ll put that in the memory banks … take resistance readings on injectors with a grain of salt.

Probably about $400 list price for a new set of OE injectors. You already come out ahead if you use that cleaner tool twice, which is really good.

·
Registered
2009 LX, Auto, AWD, Omni Pearl Blue
198 Posts
I'm sure injector cleaning services are available in hundreds of places but I've used these guys and they turned around quickly, return shipped free and the car ran significantly better after I installed the cleaned injectors. It was a couple of years ago but I remember they sent me before and after videos of my injectors being run on their calibration machine (one of the injectors was leaking when shut down). At the time is was less than $10 an injector and I see it is now $12.50, but well worth it, in my opinion. They're in Indiana so if you are in the midwest, this is a place you can mail your injectors to.

High Performance Injectors

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Somewhere in the cobwebbed sarcophagus of my skull is a list of OEM only. You know, stuff the ECU can't monitor directly, like the injectors. Spool valve is obvious but for different reasons. What other parts can y'all think of that, if they fail, can lead you down an expensive rabbit trail?
Not sure that it leads to a true $$ rabbit hole but one part I never stray from OEM is the CV axles. The aftermarket options more often than not wobble at highway speeds right out of the box and have a lifespan of a couple years at most, while the OEM ones are the only option I've found that work perfectly and last 150-200k miles. I like to fix things once and would much rather pay $500 for a pair of OEM axles and not question that my problem is resolved and will be for the long haul. I also always only use OEM sway bar links and bushings - they too last forever compared to OEM options and they cost pretty much the same, so there's no rationale for not going with them. I haven't had to replace my starter yet, which is amazing considering I have a combined 500k miles between the two E's I've owned, but when I do, it's way to much work to try to save a few bucks...the original has lasted this long and I don't care what the replacement costs as it's cheaper than the hassle of replacing it again in a few years. Another reality of OEM is where you get the parts - I only buy from the usual online OEM dealers such as Majestic Honda - too much counterfeit OEM crap on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, that's definitely one of em. I can think of multiple occasions, here alone, where an E owner was fighting with the acceleration wobble. Bought all kinds of parts. Rotors, bushings, bearings, all while "the axles are new". Are they Honda axles? Well, no. Get Honda axles. But they're new. Get Honda axles. It was the axles.

Reactions: Fitwise
1 - 20 of 24 Posts