Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its been raining. ALOT. And every time I hop in the E to turn the key, before ignition, the engine lets out a loud screech thats like an elephant or something. man, i dunno if its just because theres water in there or something, but it worries me every time. It never happened during the summer.

anyone have any idea what might be the issue? this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really. But like I said, its like if its raining overnight, when I first start up the car, it happens. GAH! It drives me nuts. I just hope I aint messin' something up by starting up the car. I guess I could always walk? pfft...fat chance.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
With cooler temps over night the belt can get condensation on it and squeal something fierce. I would check the belt out and see if it is cracked or glazed. You definitely want to get it replaced if it is questionable since it is such a bugger to route a new one and it would be even less fun doing it on the side of the road somewhere.
The other thing that comes to mind wound be that the starter is either not fully engaging the flywheel or is staying engaged too long. If it turns out to be the starter it sounds like a lot of people have had trouble with the Bosh remanufactured units and the genuine Honda part is the way to go.
Good luck. Hopefully it's just a wet belt and you don't have to walk in the rain.;-)

I like that "sounds like an elephant." One of my friends lovingly calls my E the Abominable Green Elephement. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hold on, am I the only one that noticed OP has an 09 Element and should not be having this issue?!?

Whether it's the starter or a belt, at this point, if what I'm assuming is true, that you have an 09, it's under warranty, and you don't have more than 10k miles on it, you should just take it to Honda, go in angry and let them fix/replace whatever is making the noise.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Hold on, am I the only one that noticed OP has an 09 Element and should not be having this issue?!?

Whether it's the starter or a belt, at this point, if what I'm assuming is true, that you have an 09, it's under warranty, and you don't have more than 10k miles on it, you should just take it to Honda, go in angry and let them fix/replace whatever is making the noise.
Year of the vehicle means nothing. If the belt/pulley are wet then they can and will make a noise.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Year of the vehicle means nothing. If the belt/pulley are wet then they can and will make a noise.
True. If it's not a wet belt new cars are not exempt from part failures either. Take it in and let the dealer handle it if the noise does not subside when it is dryer outside.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should clarify. Yes I have an 09 and yes the noise happens when its raining out. I have never had an issue when its not raining/sunny out. I'm thinking ill bring it into the dealer and have them figure out why the noise is happening at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts