Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we all know the OEM rearview mirror sucks. Installed a clip on wide angle mirror and the view is night vs. day. Use of sun visor is not affected. The key to getting the right one is to make sure you buy the mirror that is 250mm in length and not 300mm or your sun visor will hit the mirror everytime you use it. I hope this helps to you guys who need one.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you have a part number for this? I have been looking for a better rearview mirror and they have all been too large.

Where did you get it?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I bought one similar to yours at Advance Auto Parts for like $13. Works great and I can see out both rear side windows now!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you have a part number for this? I have been looking for a better rearview mirror and they have all been too large.

Where did you get it?
Got it from overseas with no problem from this ebayer because it was hard to find them locally. Totalled around $12 including shipping so it was not bad. Brookestone used to sell them but onw they don't. They only sell the longer ones. BTW, I looked at our local Advance auto parts store but they did not have it when I went there. So check advance auto parts first.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130358724387&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

·
Registered
115 Posts
How are wide-angle mirrors viewed these days safety-wise? The conventional wisdom used to say that all these kinds of mirrors were dangerous because they could cause a driver to misjudge distances...is that just an old suburban legend or what? I got one of those stick-on jobs on my side-view and I'm not sure I care for it....I'd like to try one of these wide-angle rear-views if they're safe.

·
Registered
480 Posts
How are wide-angle mirrors viewed these days safety-wise? The conventional wisdom used to say that all these kinds of mirrors were dangerous because they could cause a driver to misjudge distances...is that just an old suburban legend or what? I got one of those stick-on jobs on my side-view and I'm not sure I care for it....I'd like to try one of these wide-angle rear-views if they're safe.
The viewing distance seems to be the same as OEM. It's just contoured instead of flat. I also have the little stick-ons and between the wide angle rear view and the little blind spot mirrors, I seldom turn my head anymore when doing a lane change. It took a while to get used to, but I love it now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got one at Target a few years ago. Don't know how I did without it.
I can see the whole back and both back side windows. Love it!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I guess I just don't get it. I've spent too many years driving commercial trucks and towing trailers that I don't use the center mirror for anything beyond keeping an eye on my daughter in her car seat. I suspect most professional drivers would feel the same way since most of the time if a truck is even equipped with a center mirror all you're going to see out of it is the rear wall of the cab or the front of the trailer LOL!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got a wide-angle mirror today at Wally World- I couldn't find one shorter than 11" but it fits between the visors, barely. I'm sold! The only dangerous thing about it is that all of a sudden I'm seeing all this STUFF, not just the tunnel-vision of the OEM mirror.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I gave it some thought, your photo really opens up the view, but I use the night dimming feature too much for this to be practical. JMO.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I got a wide-angle mirror today at Wally World- I couldn't find one shorter than 11" but it fits between the visors, barely. I'm sold! The only dangerous thing about it is that all of a sudden I'm seeing all this STUFF, not just the tunnel-vision of the OEM mirror.
Hey buddy...!

Yeah the mirror is great (I think we got the same one) BUT... When you put the visor(s) down, its going to be a pain in-the-backside... My passengers just flip theirs down to use the mirror and my peripheral vision gets all jacked up trying to fix the mirror... Know what I mean Vern...? (a la Ernest P. Worrell)...

LBD

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Thanks...!

This one from Amazon fits a 2010 perfectly...couldn't find a position where it interfered. It leaves about 1/4" free to the visor edges on either side. It's advertised as 270mm wide.
Going to get all my Amazon goodies all together and I'll DEFINITELY get this in the shopping cart as well...!

LBD

·
Registered
73 Posts
This may be a stupid question but is there a huge difference on views between the convex mirror like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00168EO2A/ref=oss_product and the flat mirror like this one http://www.amazon.com/Broadway-Mirror-240mm-flat-Rear/dp/B0013GE5DI/ref=pd_sbs_auto_24

I'm guessing the flat one doesn't give a true wide angel view but is just a wider mirror (if that distinction makes sense.) Will the flat one still cover the blind spots without giving a distorted perspective on distance?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This may be a "stupid question" (NEVER, that's what this forum is all about!) but is there a huge difference on views between the convex mirror and the flat mirror... YES, the convex curves to allow a wider view of what's behind you and in your blind spot...

I'm guessing the flat one doesn't give a true wide angle view but is just a wider mirror... YES... You are correct... Plus, they get in the way when you pull down the visors...

Will the flat one still cover the blind spots without giving a distorted perspective on distance?... NO and NO distortion on distance (it's flat...)
The reason why folks are going to convex-type of mirror (versus the flat-type) is when using/flipping down their visors... Longer mirrors get in the way (mine do/that's why I'm getting the Razo)... Plus I think it is a safety issue/good prevention with a better view... With the exception of elementbryon's professional driving skill (on big rigs), that added curve allows a better view of the road behind and to the sides of you...

LBD

·
Registered
73 Posts
The reason why folks are going to convex-type of mirror (versus the flat-type) is when using/flipping down their visors... Longer mirrors get in the way (mine do/that's why I'm getting the Razo)... Plus I think it is a safety issue/good prevention with a better view... With the exception of elementbryon's professional driving skill (on big rigs), that added curve allows a better view of the road behind and to the sides of you...

LBD
Cool Beans, I'm putting it on my "to do" list! Thanks for the info LBD.

·
Registered
543 Posts
... Plus I think it is a safety issue/good prevention with a better view...
I've been looking for a convex for a while. The smallest I can find locally is just a tad bit too wide for visor use. I may check that Razo.

I think all vehicles (except dedicated trailer pullers) should have a convex interior AND a little convex on each large sideview mirror. With that setup, the "dreaded" blindspot disappears. There's no reason on earth to have to turn your head at all to check a lane in normal operation, or even to back a trailer. It's dangerous, and should be strongly discouraged -- and would be if people were taught to drive properly! :shock:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts