Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a rim thats slighlty wider than stock for off roading that will put the wheel with the tire flush or just outside the wheel arch. mabye like 1in wider rim or someting. got any ideas???

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Why would you want to put the rim and tire flush with the fender (wheel arch)? To get more mud spatter?

When choosing rims you have 3 parameters to play with - diameter, width, and offset.

Reducing the offset, while keeping the others the same will move the tire outward. But apart from looks I don't see the point in doing that.

If you are sticking with stock tires, there is little point in changing the rim width. Also you don't need to change the rim width to change tires to 225 or 235 width.

Going to wider tires (beyond 235), you might need to change the rim width (check tire specs), but then you could be hitting other fit problems, such as rubbing on the strut tower, or the inside of the fender. Changing the offset might deal with one, but not the other.

I think the first question you should be asking is, do you want, or need to change the tire size.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Reducing the offset, while keeping the others the same will move the tire outward. But apart from looks I don't see the point in doing that.
well, i can think of at least 1: if you use 5mm spacers you effectively increase the track of a 225 tire to that of a 235 tire. you still have only a 225 tire, it just has a wider track, which increases lateral stability. spacers must be hub-centric, of course, for our vehicles.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
In my limited experience on rough roads, ground clearance is a more significant issue than lateral stability. I can't imagine driving my Element on a track where the extra 10mm in track would make a difference. If anything I'd want to narrow the track, to reduced the lateral 'breakover angle'. I put that in quotes since breakover angle usually applies to a front to back measurement. In this context I'm thinking more of the clearance under the rear subframe. Not that the distance between the rear wheels would make much difference.

Note that if I am following ruts made by other vehicles, most likely bigger pickups, I try to keep my wheels out of the ruts, usually driving off to one side, straddling one rut. Often a narrower track is advantageous.

Another thought - the best feature of an Element on rough roads is its short turning radius. It makes it easier to turn tail when the going gets too rough. Choosing a tire/wheel combination that increases that radius would be a mistake.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
your points are valid.
lateral stability is desirable for off roads places like dry lake beds and sand dunes, where speeds can be higher.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got you. it never even accured to me that with a wider offset you can mount a wider tire. a wider rim is really unnesasary. thanks!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
hey dude

posted pics on the other rim thread

1 - 7 of 7 Posts