Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. i am new to this forum, in part, becasue i have not had any problems with my 05 E with 68K miles. i replaced tires @ 50k. lately, ive heard some rumbling noise from the rear of the vehicle and i thought it might be my wheel bearings. i took my mechanic for a ride and he felt the noise was tire-related. ok, so today, i took her out and @ 55mph, the rumbling began and a very high-pitched noise kicked in but then stopped. i kept driving and the noise did not come back until i had parked the car for an hour. when i got back up to 55 mph, the rumbling noise and then, the high pitched noise kicked in. my mechanic says if its a problem, it will get worse and he is right. its getting worse. any ideas on what could be happening? i had the right rear strut replaced 3 weeks ago.

any thoughts, inklings, etc. are welcome!
thank you.

chiclet
cape cod, mass.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the EOC!
If this is what I think it is, the issue is very common among Elements.

Very simple solution too ... Have your mechanic or Honda Dealer change your rear differential fluid.

The fluid breaks down over time and causes that rumbling sound from the back of your E. It's a very simple and quick fix!

You will notice the sound when executing tight turns. I had the very same issue, replaced my fluid, and Bam! Like new!

I now religiously change that fluid every 15,000 miles.

OR

If that does not fix the problem, check your alignment. I doubt it is your tires. Also have your mechanic check out the sway bar links and bushings.

Good luck, and if you need more help, you know where to find us :)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
rear diff fluid issues are usually most noticeable when making tight turns....and would be fairly noticeable before it started making noise in a straight line.

However, if the fluid hasn't been changed yet it is past due anyway.

It doesn't seem to be the typical rear diff symptoms....but there is a quick and easy test....drive it in some nice, tight circles. Do some left and some right. Any open parking lot will do just fine. Be alert for grinding, vibration, and rubbing.

If you experience the problem in tight turns (or even if you don't) have the rear differential fluid changed. The only thing to watch for is the use of the "Special Honda only" fluid...1.1qt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you!

wow! that was quick. thank you so much for the feedback. before i became a member, i did some poking around some of the threads devoted to rear diff fluids and your advice reinforces that of other honda owners. now im off to the national seashore parking lot to do some serious right turns and the, dropping her off at my mechanic's shop.

thanks again,
chiclet
cape cod

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does the sound caused bye the diff depend also on the speed of the tight turn?

So I could be crawling in the parking lot with the steering wheel turned one lock and I would be able to reproduce the sound from the diff?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Does the sound caused bye the diff depend also on the speed of the tight turn?
Sort of....

If the problem is caused by bad fluid...even going slow will 'cause the noise/vibration in tight turns. Going faster or slower may change the sound around a bit....but it'll still be there.

If the noise/vibration is only when going straight, and not while making tight turns, it is prolly not a case of "dual pump fluid" gone bad.

When the fluid gets really bad it will make noise on even moderate turns and whenever the 4wd kicks in and out.

Easy rule of thumb: if the diff fluid has been in your E more than 30k miles...it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ellie mae's solution

hi i just picked up my honda. turns out the noise was the result of a frozen caliper scoring my rear brake rotor. new brake caliper, rotor and i had the diff fluid changed anyway. this forum has been so helpful. thanks you.

chiclet
wellfleet ma

1 - 8 of 8 Posts