Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found my potential E at a remote branch of the local Honda dealer! How does this effect wiggle room on price negotiations? I made arrangements for them to transfer it here for me to test drive tomorrow. Will the fact that it's coming in from a branch decrease my negotiating leverage? (I'm assuming the branches will share the commission?)

Does anyone know how this works? It's a big dealership, the E is at a Toyota/Scion branch.

The salesman's shown us a few cars (we stayed firm on our price and lost an '06 E), he sold me my CRV 7 years ago. He's been calling and asked if he's missing something- I told him $17K out the door.

When I saw this 2007 Kiwi MT EX on line I contacted him and at first he wasn't very forthcoming with info on the car, "it's a certified vehicle so of course everything is excellent". I pointed out the listing didn't say it was certified, and asked if I should call the other dealer directly to ask my questions. That brought him around a little but he was still showing a tad of attitude. He got a $500 deposit from me to bring the vehicle in, with the agreement it is refunded if I don't want it.

I'm concerned that deposit and transfer already shifted negotiations in his favor. I'm not good at this, nor is my husband, and the salesman is a salesman. They are asking $15,995 with 53K miles. Perhaps that is very fair?

I'm thinking that since it was at a Toyota branch, it was not Honda Certified, but if I buy it from the local Honda branch they do certify it. And the advertised price, seems much lower than they usually offer. (They wouldn't budge from $16,900 on a '06 LX, but it was an AT with 21K).

I really hate the game of negotiations, it's like acting.:oops:

2007 MT EX from one of their other dealership branches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since you had it transferred, they are going to assume you are emotionally invested in this specific vehicle. And maybe you are? If you are in love with the Kiwi color and the 2007 features, do your best at negotiations, but keep in mind you pay a premium to get exactly what you want. The best deals to be had are on the models/colors people don't want. Its simple supply vs demand.

The best way to find out if the asking price is fair is to research your local market. Edmunds has a TMV (true market value) function that takes into consideration the actual selling prices of like vehicles in your area. In addition, I usually check cars.com, automoxie.com, autotrader.com, and craigslist.org, to decide what a fair price is.

If you are worried about the car not being factory certified, maybe you should consider a pre-purchase inspection? My mechanic does them for $150 and he digs deep.

The most powerful thing you can do during negotiations is to leave the dealership. Get as low as you can and then tell them its just not close enough to your bottom line. Get your $500 back from them and leave. The salesman will call you when you are driving home and say "I just talked to the OWNER and they said they'll take another $500 off just for you if you will make the deal today." Calmly reply that you are going to look at other local inventory and will call them back if you can't get a better deal elsewhere. They will call you again with a lower price later that day or maybe the next day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the E tonight, behind the dealership after they closed, it looks great, can't wait to see it in the daylight tomorrow and test it out!

I have researched it and the price for this area looks good. They seem to sell fast here, and I am excited about this one, hope it drives as nice as it looks. The last deal I tried to make went no where. They came down a little but not enough. This seems much better priced and it will be certified. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Where exactly are you located?
Not that it really matter, I'm just curious...lol

Having a vehicle transferred doesn't mean squat in my opinion. If the Dealership is showing it as being for sale, and they have it listed as being available at one of their branches, then it's up to them to transfer it to any interested customer. Now if you asked for it to be transferred between different dealers, that's a whole 'nother story, and that's where additional costs will come in. But you shouldn't have to pay anything if the name on the sign is the same, regardless of the location.

As far as price, sorry..can't help ya from this side of the border...lol
BUT, from what you've said, it seems that it's within your price range, so make sure you have it checked out (ask for the Carfax!! they should provide it to you, if you ask for it) and ask to take it over night (so you can take it to another mechanic). If they really want the sale, they will allow these things.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The trick to negotiating is to know where you stand firm with regards to price. If you are okay with paying the price they are asking, go ahead and pay it. If not (say you are only interested in paying $14,500) can stand firm at that price and let them work toward your goal. They might or might not meet it, but if you let them try, most decent dealerships will try to work with you at finding a win-win scenario.
Another bit of advice is that you read "Confessions of a Used Car salesman" it's an editorial from Edmunds.com there is some very good advice and some great info you might find useful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the tips. I believe I am prepared to pay their price, well I'd like them to come down a little so the used car transaction feels right!

I got the car fax from them as soon as I saw it on line. It looks good, tomorrow I will drive it. As I said, the last E I looked at from them was '06 EX, 21K, listed at $17599? I told them it was too high, the salesman said we might get it at $16500 but then the "manager" said firm $16,900. I said no. They didn't budge and sold it in a week. They called me later to see what I was looking for and I told him $17K out the door, maximum.

I found this E on line at their branch and called. The mileage was higher than I originally hoped for, (53K) but reality check, I decided I prefered the '07 with more miles, than paying more for an '06 with fewer miles. They have an '07 LX on their lot with higher miles- 74,238 and a higher price- $15875. All I can figure is the branch has lower pricing in general.

The fact that it's Kiwi and a manual may be why it's lingered. I like it! It will be way easier to find in a parking lot in the seas of silver cars!

When I set up the appointment to drive it, the salesman said, "ok I'll see you tomorrow, you can drive it, then we'll decide when you want to pick it up." He's counting his chickens!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
A nice little alternative to having them come down in price is to see if they can throw in a few more goodies for you. Nothing like getting a few small extras to seal the deal;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm committed!

Well, I made my commitment to ownership! Negotiated a little bit, chose to make the trip to DMV myself to save a few more $. I pick up my new baby Friday. Now I need to name her/him? My CRV was crying but I patted her hood and promised a good new home. We settled at $15,750 for the EX, without taxes, etc. So now I can sleep again!:-D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congrats!!!! You must be excited.

As for names: My wife started calling mine "E-lphaba" from the musical "Wicked". However, I believe this name would be best suited for a Kiwi rather than an Atomic Blue Metallic.

I think I'll be changing her name to "Stella". :grin:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats!!!! You must be excited.

As for names: My wife started calling mine "E-lphaba" from the musical "Wicked". However, I believe this name would be best suited for a Kiwi rather than an Atomic Blue Metallic.

I think I'll be changing her name to "Stella". :grin:
I am very excited!
I'm not sure about Elpahba, but it's a thought. I do like to lip sync to the sound track...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts