Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling to find the Element with all my wants. I scour Cars.com, Autotrader.com, Craigslist, Autotempest.com, etc multiple times daily and have an alert set up. So far nothing perfect.

Before I compromise I'm about ready to start cold calling or emailing local Honda dealerships to see if they can get one at their shop for me to purchase. Anyone have any luck with this tactic?

I've got my blank convenience check just burning a hole in my pocket! :evil:

·
Registered
208 Posts
The only way a dealer is going to get one is if one is traded in. While you can't ask them to get one for you, you might ask if they will call you when a trade-in does come in. But they'd really have to be hungry and on their toes for that to happen. Most places would not promise what they cannot deliver.

·
Registered
715 Posts
There's a nice looking one at a local car lot here in Franklin, KY. 2009 EX with 56000 miles. Omni blue pearl. I think they are asking $15,900.

·
Registered
195 Posts
in my opinion ,asking dealers to call you , if they get a nice trade , is a very good idea .If it were me I would speak to the mgr or salesman at all the local dealers within 75 miles or what ever you comfort zone is.Wishin you luck asap

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I just spent about three months searching. There were a couple of used certified cars that I probably should have jumped at, but otherwise the dealership pickings were slim. One thing that worked for me was typing in a search of exactly the kind of E I liked into google (Blue Honda Element, low miles) and then going to the image search. After a while you learn to pick out the real ads from all the other stuff. That helped me find mine at least....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I may reach out to a few relatively local Honda dealerships and try bending their ear.

My wife says I might be the pickiest potential Element owner in the world. I'd say she may be right but I'm sure some of you are just as picky as me.

I've already got my list of mods ready to start as soon as I get my E.

The quest continues...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Back in January, after having some negative experiences trying to purchase an E from private sellers, I walked into a Honda dealership and told them what I wanted and how much I was willing to pay. The first one they got in was cheaper than the price I gave them but was not well-cared for at all (high mileage, torn up interior, previous collision).
About a week later, I got a call for the one I ended up buying (1 owner, VERY well cared for) at right around my target price, so I know this method worked...for me.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Thanks everyone. I may reach out to a few relatively local Honda dealerships and try bending their ear.

My wife says I might be the pickiest potential Element owner in the world. I'd say she may be right but I'm sure some of you are just as picky as me.

I've already got my list of mods ready to start as soon as I get my E.

The quest continues...
A year ago I traded in my 2004 LX Element for a 2008 EX via Carmax.com The entire experience was awesome. They went through a lot of effort to find the E I was looking for and even brought it to my local Carmax from Arizona on one of their trucks. Be sure to check them out if you haven't already.

Contacting dealers also helps but it's more of a waiting game. I received several of their calls with offers in the following weeks of getting my new E, all of which I had to decline. There are some great deals out there just keep looking and keep us posted. Cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back in January, after having some negative experiences trying to purchase an E from private sellers, I walked into a Honda dealership and told them what I wanted and how much I was willing to pay. The first one they got in was cheaper than the price I gave them but was not well-cared for at all (high mileage, torn up interior, previous collision).
About a week later, I got a call for the one I ended up buying (1 owner, VERY well cared for) at right around my target price, so I know this method worked...for me.
Awesome. Glad to know that there might be some potential with this method!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A year ago I traded in my 2004 LX Element for a 2008 EX via Carmax.com The entire experience was awesome. They went through a lot of effort to find the E I was looking for and even brought it to my local Carmax from Arizona on one of their trucks. Be sure to check them out if you haven't already.

Contacting dealers also helps but it's more of a waiting game. I received several of their calls with offers in the following weeks of getting my new E, all of which I had to decline. There are some great deals out there just keep looking and keep us posted. Cheers
Part of the problem is that I'm being soooo specific. I really want Galaxy Grey. There are a good amount of options within 500 miles for Silver and RBM but I'm not ready to compromise yet.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
if your overly compulsive, unrealistically, ADD on something that may/may not exist, create it. Consider a lower mileage SC with a time frame for customized paint. You would be looking at a higher than average cost of paint as your after the entire visible surface to be painted, but you will get exactly what you want with some custom visuals like painted trim, maybe two tone or stripes...

Think of GGM with a matte black roof and hood/lower panels that carry across the lower front ground effects bumper...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if your overly compulsive, unrealistically, ADD on something that may/may not exist, create it. Consider a lower mileage SC with a time frame for customized paint. You would be looking at a higher than average cost of paint as your after the entire visible surface to be painted, but you will get exactly what you want with some custom visuals like painted trim, maybe two tone or stripes...

Think of GGM with a matte black roof and hood/lower panels that carry across the lower front ground effects bumper...
Whoa now that's ambitious! I like Galaxy Grey the best but it's not so far above Silver that I wouldn't consider pulling the trigger on a really nice ASM SC.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Part of the problem is that I'm being soooo specific. I really want Galaxy Grey. There are a good amount of options within 500 miles for Silver and RBM but I'm not ready to compromise yet.
I don't think so...get exactly what you want otherwise you'll possibly regret it down the line. If you're not in a rush, send out emails to several dealerships within the distance you're willing to drive and let them know that the first one who comes up with it, gets the sale. Nothing like competition.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I wouldn't limit yourself to Honda dealers. Scion, Jeep, Toyota...When I was looking almost every type of dealer showed up with a decent E. In fact you will get a better deal from a non-Honda dealer. Honda dealers know exactly what they have. The Scion dealer I purchased mine from had no idea that a 2007 AWD with MT and 60k miles was a rare gem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldn't limit yourself to Honda dealers. Scion, Jeep, Toyota...When I was looking almost every type of dealer showed up with a decent E. In fact you will get a better deal from a non-Honda dealer. Honda dealers know exactly what they have. The Scion dealer I purchased mine from had no idea that a 2007 AWD with MT and 60k miles was a rare gem.
I've thought about that too. I just started blanketing the local Honda dealers with emails and have heard back from about 4 so far. Just passing along my list of "needs" for the vehicle and telling them I'm ready to purchase if they find one that checks off all the boxes. I might just have to do the same for the Scion, Toyota, etc as well. Upside of living in Orange County is that there is no shortage of dealerships. Downside is that Elements are uber-popular here.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another option: when you see one in a parking lot somewhere place a note on it asking if they might be willing to sell it.
I like it. Don't see a ton of Galaxy Grey SCs around my area but it's worth a shot.

One of the Honda dealerships I emailed yesterday wrote back saying they searched their customer database and had one customer who currently owns a SC that matches all of my wants. Said they emailed the customer to see if they were interested in selling. Thought it was cool that this dealership had made the effort.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts