Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a vehicle that can transport my sportbike. I was wondering whether it would fit in an Element. Here are the bike's dimensions:

Overall length: 79.7 in.
Overall width: 28.3 in.
Overall height: 43.7 in.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The guy who put a dirt bike in put it in from the passenger side doors and may have used a compression strap to compress the front forks. but it fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In a recent Motor Trend comparison between the Suzuki Aerio SX and Honda Element EX (High-Roof Hi-Jinks; Motor Trend, March 2003), they mention fitting a Honda dirt bike in the Element.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[Moderator's Note: Jamsix8's photo links here and in post #8 are 404s.]

Check it out! Click to see an Elefant swallow a Hawk!

That's my Elefant and my friend's Hawk (formerly mine also).

There's actually about a foot between the stick and the wheel - some of the photos are deceiving due to their angle.

I bought the Elefant so I could transport an RS125 (eventually to be mine) to and from the track. The Hawk was a good test.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you guys bring it in through the back? What kind of ramp did you use? How difficult was it? Did you drive around with it?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been wondering if my ZRX would fit. It's more than a hundred pounds heavier and a bit bigger. After seeing that, I may have to give it a try.

Jim R

·
Registered
7 Posts
>Did you guys bring it in through the back?
Yes. As we were loading, the top of the speedo touched the top of the opening. We had to compress the forks 1 inch to get it in. The Hawk in the pics has aftermarket clip-ons with a negative rise so they weren't a problem. I'm helping someone pick up another Hawk tonight (with standard rising bars) and expect to have to drop the forks to make it fit. With a ZRX I'd worry that either the windscreen on the bikini fairing or the handlebar would hit.

>What kind of ramp did you use?
Did a lot of research on ramps and ended up with a plastic, collapsing ramp from JC Whitney. I think the manufacturer is Rampart. Cheaper than the folding metal options I saw. They are curved to minimize the chance of bottoming the bike out and have a security strap to make sure it doesn't slide off the edge of the tailgate. It works fine, although it gets slippery when wet to the point that if you are backing a bike down in wet weather the front brake will cause the front wheel to lock and slide. I don't have experience with other types of ramps so I can't tell you if you'd have the same problem.

>How difficult was it?
It's one of those things that take 1+ hours the first time and then 10 minutes the 100th time. Two people certainly helps - one to push from behind, one to guide. Lacking that, placing the Element on a hill can reduce the approach angle - guiding a 400# machine up a 15 degree incline is a serious workout. Also, the person holding the handlebars has the challenge of stepping up into the Elefant and not clocking their head on the tailgate. With one person it's a difficult combination of pushing, stepping, ducking, and guiding. A small stool helps immensely here.

>Did you drive around with it?
Drove from Brooklyn to NJ with it. No prob, except for null visibility with the rearview. As the pics show, the cargo floor did bend but not break. I'd put wood there next time.

>I've been wondering if my ZRX would fit. It's more than a hundred pounds heavier and a bit bigger.
Great bike. I'd check the wheelbase compared to the Hawk to see how much longer it is. I'd definitely remove the center console and replace with wood to make things easier. I'm guessing the ZRX is at least 6 inches longer, which may cause the front wheel to get close to the gearshift, or the ZRX radiator to get close to the seatbacks, or the turn signals to get close to the driver's right ear!

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the info. The ZRX has a wheelbase of 57.1 inches, not much longer than the Hawk.(If I read the specs right) My bike does not have the fairing, so it's not a problem. This is all very cool. Again, thanks.

Jim R

·
Registered
7 Posts
updating the link of the Honda Hawk in the Element...

http://www.jfinteractive.com/Personal/element/motoinside.html

Since then, I've managed to fit a Honda CBR600F4 in as well. I couldn't fit the front wheel between the front seats due to the fairing, so I had to move the Element's passenger seat waaay forward and tilt the seatback forward. I also had to remove the windscreen. That gave me enuf room to catty corner the CBR inside. Drove it down and back from NJ to Summit Point WV no prob.

Up next, Honda Gold Wing :wink:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, its a lot smaller than the bikes you are all talkin about but i can fit about 3 crf50s in the back of my E and still have room for other stuff. Tis E is awesome!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got some respect on negative people who questioned me about getting the E! See how versitle it is? This was last week getting ready for the Import Show off here in Hawaii. I turned some Scion XB heads when passing them by on the freeway! :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
hate to dredge up an old thread, but jam68,any chance your still on this board can re-host that link or port the photos here through photobucket or something? i saw an r1 on here that had a bike in back but it wasn't between the seats and the tailgate was down. i'd like to see the hawk.

·
Registered
56 Posts
nuttmeg said:
hate to dredge up an old thread, but jam68,any chance your still on this board can re-host that link or port the photos here through photobucket or something? i saw an r1 on here that had a bike in back but it wasn't between the seats and the tailgate was down. i'd like to see the hawk.
yes, I'd be interested in this too.

I did some measurements, I think a sportbike should fit if you take out the front passenger seat and the rear passenger-side seat. how much lateral clearance is there if you leave the driver's side seat down and remove the right side?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Geez, this internet is a funny thing - this topic just won't die. I guess people still want to stuff motorcycles in the Element. Enjoy!

Hey Nuttmeg, you aren't the person on the ApriliaForum as well, are you?

john
'75 Honda CB400F
'99 Honda CBR600F4
'03 Honda Element
'04 Aprilia RSV-R (yes, the same guy on the AF1 Aprilia board. Small world, huh?)
'04 iMac 20"

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Now I know... if you can fit a Honda CBR in the back... there's no doubt in my mind that I could fit a Kawasaki Ninja 250.

I have recently been looking at bikes and that's my bike of choice. It will be my first bike/beginner bike. I am a female, so I chose the small one. LOL I don't want no big huge bike... not for my first one anyway.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say thanks for the thread....... now.. just to build a ramp to put that sucker in the back! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
ZX-10 Fits!

Hey,

My '04 Kawasaki ZX-10 Ninja fits just fine. I have to put the pass. seat all the way forward and lean the bike a bit to get the windshield through, but then it's all good. I did replace the spare tire cover with 3/4" plywood painted to match as the stock plastic was sagging quite a bit from the kickstand. then tied down to the stock eyelets. Sweet deal. Actually drives better than a friends Dodge Dakota pickup with the bike in.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts