Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I was just wondering if an air deflector will help to prevent rocks hitting your windshield, or if they are really more of an aesthetic upgrade?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have one from auto zone.it seems to keep the buggs &debris off the hood.the windshield is another story all togeather bug****ty everywhere. but in all fairness if a rock was coming at your windshield and was just above the hood up to 1 " away then it might hit the deflector and deflect it over.but you know what they say about mites. they belong on chickensbutts:razz: so dont count on it. I have heard that there is another deflector that has a taller lip kicked up farther,it may help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The deflector is supposed to stop small rocks from chipping the painted "nose" of the hood, and it works well for that purpose, but doesn't extend high enough to save the windshield.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
After my first rock HIT , I took the E in for the refill the chipped area job . Owner states , get a bug deflector , not even 5 minutes after installing the deflector , I was pulling onto the highway , POW , another rock hit on my windshield and wallet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So no , 0 protection :(

RUBY

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think those things look ugly.....but, this morning I was washing the E and noticed a rock had hit the front of the hood and made a dent and chipped the paint. I wish I had installed one now. I may go out and see if I can find one. I'm making a 1200 mile trip this week.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I will probably get one because I don't want my precious Kiwi paint chipped, Hahah!:grin: But funny thing is, I had a Westy for 8 years and only in the last 2 months I owned it did I get a hit that cracked the windshield. Those are pretty common to get hit too. Hopefully I will be as lucky in my Zomb-E!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Deflector

Personally.... after installing the oem deflector I've gotten more bugs on the windshield. My guess is that it actually makes the wind coming over the hood more "erratic" and less "streamlined"... would only really know if you could see it in a wind tunnel setup.

However, after I installed the brush guard (and lights) I noticed less bugs on the actual "front" of the E. 8) My guess there is that it breaks up the wind that would normally be directly smacking the front.

Either way, I say definitely get a deflector for the "rock chip on the hood" factor.

.... and yes I did just a few weeks ago get a rock chip on my windshield also. :x

·
Registered
536 Posts
Bug Deflector

It does a nice job of preventing chips on the leading edge of the hood. Does it deflect bugs and debris from the windshield....NO!! I am going on windshield number 4.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have one on my E mostly to protect the paint on the hood. The only deflectors that ever really worked were the old, ugly flat ones that we used to put on our pickup trucks in the 80's...

On a related note, does anybody with a deflector mounted notice new strange wind noises at about 65+ MPH? My noise appeared after I installed mine and I think it's the wipers rattling around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
windy

I don't recall any wind noise change after adding the deflector or the Brush guard even after that....

I have always had some other wind noise at 65++ from the top front corner of the drivers door.... especially if its windy. Almost as if its not making a good seal. Maybe the door can be tightened? :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bug Deflector

I just installed a front deflector and the window visors from Stampede. Install was a breeze and looks good, Stampede offers two different deflectors, I got the one with the extra lip on top for better defection. Also the window visors on the rear are wider in the rear to allow the rear side windows to lock open. In all it cost $107 shipped from truckaddons.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts