Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:df8e857dfc="SanTropez1971"]I want to change out my head unit to get Sirius radio. Will this function properly with the amp, sub, etc?[/quote:df8e857dfc]

Yes, if wired up properly. You will need an RCA to line level converter to connect the sub up and you'll also want to get a head unit that has an independant non-fading subwoofer control to control the sub volume properly.

If you wan't to keep the AUX jack functionallity then you'll need a head unit that offers an AUX input too (and not the front mounted type).

My best advice to anyone wanting to just replace the head unit with something better is to have it professionally installed and make sure the installer knows that you want to keep the sub, amp, and aux jack functionallity well in advance so he can plan for the extra time and order the proper materials if necesary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone done this yet? I am wondering how it has worked? I called my stereo place and they said another guy tried this and burned up the factory amp. (not the same vehicle though)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wanted to simply swap out the factory head unit, but I went to Tweeter and they said it couldn't de done without losing the factory amp and sub. I don't want to do this. Is there any way to change it out and still keep the sub and amp? Help people?!?

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:6aa92c5551="Xenon-E"]I wanted to simply swap out the factory head unit, but I went to Tweeter and they said it couldn't de done without losing the factory amp and sub. I don't want to do this. Is there any way to change it out and still keep the sub and amp? Help people?!?[/quote:6aa92c5551]

Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes! :roll:

If your installers are telling you otherwise, then get a better installer! :lol:

The reason places are telling you it can't be done is because they are either dumb, inexperienced, don't have the necessary parts, or are too lazy to sit down and figure out the wiring. The megastores simply won't do anything unless there's a custom amp/sub integration harness available - and since the E is so new one does not exist yet.

I swear to you however that IT CAN BE DONE!

For almost 2 months I ran my own system this way - it worked fine. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
eMass:

Advice please!?!? How did you do it or have it done? I want to be able to go to a place and tell them "yes, it can be done" and not sound like a raving madman. I love my new speakers, but the factory head unit does not have the ability to manipulate the high end frequencies like my Alpine w/BBE does in my other Honda. that system sounds sooooo sweet, but I changed out everything. I just want a new head unit! I really thought that wasn't too much to ask when I walked into Tweeter, but I guess I was wrong. I can do simple installs myself, but heavy wiring mods I'd rather have done by a professional. Any guidance you can give will be appreciated....

-S

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:829cb235b2="Xenon-E"]eMass:

Advice please!?!? How did you do it or have it done? I want to be able to go to a place and tell them "yes, it can be done" and not sound like a raving madman. I love my new speakers, but the factory head unit does not have the ability to manipulate the high end frequencies like my Alpine w/BBE does in my other Honda. that system sounds sooooo sweet, but I changed out everything. I just want a new head unit! I really thought that wasn't too much to ask when I walked into Tweeter, but I guess I was wrong. I can do simple installs myself, but heavy wiring mods I'd rather have done by a professional. Any guidance you can give will be appreciated....

-S[/quote:829cb235b2]

Advice? Don't do it yourself, I took my E over to my installer and we did the work together (he's a long time friend). Since no wiring manuals were readily available at the time we tested each wire coming off the harness and marked them manually. We installed PAC line level controllers and RCA converters to control the sound level coming off the new head unit so it wouldn't fry the factory amplifier.

This took 2 hours and he charges me a discount shop rate of $20/hr (I've had them do a LOT of work for me in the past) plus the 2 PAC integration pieces and the head unit mounting kit - I think I gave him $80 total for the install but I got a discounted price on my head unit too so it was a nice deal in the end.

Make sure you buy a head unit that has AUX and a non fading subwoofer control so you can still use the dash jack and control the subwoofer separately.

If you would like to give your installer some wiring info you can find a lot of it right on this forum with the two posts below:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1540
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2490

Just find a car audio shop in your area that has good reputation and good installers and only does car audio and I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks a lot man. I'll look into it. Heck, depending on where you are in Mass, I may have your guy doo it for me when I come up there in August....

-S

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, you can swap the HU and keep everything else as Emass pointed out. Check out his topic explaining how to do it. If anything, print out the instructions and take it to an installer to have it professionally done. Other posters have stated that installers wouldn't or couldn't do this, but trust me, it can be done. I installed my own head unit following the instructions from Emass and it worked out fine.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2636

1 - 11 of 11 Posts