Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't yet own an element, but I'm curious if someone who does, knows if an assembled 9 ft fly rod will fit inside, maybe under the seats? If not then maybe could have sticking out the sun roof. Has any fellow fly fisherman tried transporting their assembled rods yet. I don't think the roof rack looks like the bars are far enough apart to use a rack type system for holding rods.

Anybody have ideas on this, I love to fish and like the convenience of not having to take my rods apart when moving from one spot to the next.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are avid fisher-people as well. It is so frustrating to have to disassemble rods when it comes time to hop into the vehicle. We have hauled the dog crate to the dealership to see how that fits in the back - no troubles there. We just might have to do the same with the rods (aren't we characters!). Ideally, we would like to rig something up so that the rods can ride up against the ceiling but of course inside the cab with us - can't have a dirty reel! One of us makes the flies and the other loses them. We make a great combo! 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
i haven't tried my fly rod in the element yet but i did go trout fishing last weekend and carried a 6 foot g. loomis rod with me. though i had enough room for it, it was still tight. i folded one of the rear seats up and laid it flat on the floor and had plenty of room. since then i have found a better way just leave the seats down and let the base sit behind the seats and the tip run along the ceiling. now, a 9ft fly outfit is a different story but i am sure u can find a way to make it work and it would sure beat any vehicle i have seen yet for the one who flyfishes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyones replies. I ended up purchasing an element last week and last night I verified that my 9ft fly rod does fit. I put it under the back seats and running up against the cup console in front, plenty of room. I'll have to figure something out so not to get the reel and rod dirty, maybe place a towel or something under the reels. Awesome vehicle, I'm amazed at the space inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey flyfisher.......if u find any other handy fishing trip tips for the element, please let me know. i am going in the morning and taking the element. i can't wait. they are calling for rain but i am going anyway. heck, the worst that could happen is that i'd have to ride the mountains all day in the element :lol: take care and good luck with the element and the fishing!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yeah they'll fit. Here's the trick...

get 2 bungee cords. one goes between the child seat loops by the rear hatch and the other goes between the "Oh Sh*t" handles at the back seats. then just put the rod over the bungee cord above the back seat and put the reel thru the bungee cord on the baby seat loops bungee. it keeps the rods out of the way and pushes them up on the ceiling in the front. I do this everytime i go fishing and have never had a problem with room or crunching rods.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also have hugged rods against the ceiling. I just used one cord (at the Oh Sh*t handles).
I popped the door open on my overhead console, put the handle end in there, put the rod end over the cord, and I was good to go. Carried 4 rods many many distances that way.
They don't "hug" the ceiling, but because the handle end is closest to me, I can make sure they don't bounce around.

(The reason that I did this was I was hauling a 1 and 3 year old in the back, along with enough stuff to go camping for 6 days. I had to find a way to keep the rods out of the kids reach!)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
user campywilly has 4 rods hanging from his ceiling in his E... but i dunno if they are fly fishing rods... he might come by and respond!

·
Registered
250 Posts
The best way to transport assembled and rigged fly rods is to put them on the inside ceiling. You can get a couple different pre-made rigs that will hold the rod well. Here's an expensive one:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...t_id=5146&subcat_id=6033&feature_id=17&bhcp=1

Here's a cheap one: http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...t_id=5146&subcat_id=6033&feature_id=17&bhcp=1

Personally I think the cabelas version will work better than the orvis. Also, I think you can easily DIY the cabelas version.

I did the same basic thing with bungee cords, but it didn't work that well. The key is to get the straps with velcro attached to keep everything in place.

Bottom line is, with a 9 ft rod you have to bend the tip along the slant of the windshield for it to fit assembled. This doens't bother me at all, but you wouldn't want to do it with a bamboo rod. ;-)

I don't like the idea of putting the reel end in the overheard storage compartment because of the difficulty of getting it in and out. The tip along the windshield is the best option imo.

MA

·
Registered
92 Posts
The E has been great for my fishing trips to the Salmon River here in Upstate NY. I have a 8'6" rod and it fits no problem. I have been flipping the rear seats up and laying the tip of the rod in between the passenger seat armrest (tilted up at about a 45 degree angle). Seems to work well for me since I generally have a lot of other gear in back that prevents the reel from sliding around.

On another note... I bought a somewhat hefty 9hp/26" snowblower this weekend and it fit in the back of the E perfectly, with the seats removed. I am now ready for the Syracuse winter - bring on the snow!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.