Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 SC and use a 4 year old Garmin Nuvi 200. Instead of paying for the unreliable map updates from Garmin, I've taken to the MotionX GPS app for my iPhone. I'd like to interface the device and this app through my stock head unit via USA*SPEC interface module:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/pa15.jpg

Does anyone have this module in their E? If so, have you been able to run the audio from the iPhone apps through your stock speakers or will it only permit use of the iPod only?

I'd like to be able to charge the iPhone from the USA*Spec module and at the same time, use the MotionX GPS app(audio turn by turn through the stock speakers).

Here is the dash mount for my 3GS.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30475836&l=de94f68ca8&id=1240144024

·
Registered
836 Posts
I know my Pioneer head unit will only play Ipod out of the Ipod/Iphone specific cable. But if i lead it in through the 3mm jack on top of my iphone i can move sound through the speakers.

Figured this out by trying to play pandora through my car, had to run it out of my headphone jack to hear the music.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I have the USA-SPEC adapter in my 08 SC. My buddy has an iPhone and we
use it all the time in my E. We use it to listen to the iPod part of the phone
as well as listening to Pandora. We have never tried using the Navi part of
the phone, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Here is a link to my install if you do decide to go that route:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56199&highlight=ipod+spec

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@aztecrol- So it's safe to assume that you are using the bottom din connector on the iPhone while listening to Pandora.

Does the USA*SPEC interface disable use of the stock Honda AUX jack in the armrest?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought the audio/sync cable from monoprice.com and it works great in my 08 SC. I'm using it with a USB car charger that I can plug the cable into and now the audio and the charging are at the bottom. Before I had a regular car charger connected to the bottom of the iphone and a regular headphone cable coming out the top and it was very cumbersome.

The only downside to this cable is I make or receive a call it won't ring or I can't hear the person. I think this is actually a fault of the iphone itself since the regular headphone jack at the top is used for the handsfree, not the audio out of the mutli connector at the bottom. With this cable I can listen to pandora just fine through the aux input in my SC center console. The volume control on the iphone itself will be disabled since that DIN connector is line level output so it will come out at max volume and you'll have to control the sound on your Element's head unit. On my stock stereo with Pandora with my iphone, I hardly go above level 15.

Here is the link to the cable I bought.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10831&cs_id=1083101&p_id=6226&seq=1&format=2

I also bought their $1 USB charger but it's not that powerful to charge the iphone while pulling data 3G or wifi so I would recommend getting the compact usb charger from Garmin.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
@aztecrol- So it's safe to assume that you are using the bottom din connector on the iPhone while listening to Pandora.

Does the USA*SPEC interface disable use of the stock Honda AUX jack in the armrest?
Yes using the bottom din connector to listen to Pandora.

No it does not disable the use of the stock Honda AUX jack.
It does take away 6 of the XM presets so it can work.
Check my install thread above, its very detailed.

Just an FYI, the USA-SPEC also has an AUX jack in it. So you can actually
have two AUX jacks in your E.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@tracsol- Thanks for the idea. I'm shooting to clean up the interior of the E and eliminating the use of the 12v accessory port on the dash. I use a Sears brand 5vUSB/120vac converter to chard the iPhone and would like to use the USA*SPEC module for charging too.

@aztecrol- Ok. I'd be the audio of the MotionX GPS app would broadcast through the bottom connector if it works with Pandora. I'm fine with loosing the XM buttons; don't use XM or Sirius. IMHO their poor audio quality isn't worth the month subscription rates for what you can get by buy music from iTunes or using/paying for Slacker Radio or Pandora. Personally I use Slacker more than Pandora, better genre and band variety per station. I like you step by step photos for the installation. Better preface that installation with replacement of the cabin air filters while your in the glove box. ;) I really like my Bracketron.com bracket and the holder I got from Crutchfield. I'll probably get another piece for the holder which will allow me to rotate the holder 90 deg.

Thanks for your help today guys!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
@tracsol- Thanks for the idea. I'm shooting to clean up the interior of the E and eliminating the use of the 12v accessory port on the dash. I use a Sears brand 5vUSB/120vac converter to chard the iPhone and would like to use the USA*SPEC module for charging too.

@aztecrol- Ok. I'd be the audio of the MotionX GPS app would broadcast through the bottom connector if it works with Pandora. I'm fine with loosing the XM buttons; don't use XM or Sirius. IMHO their poor audio quality isn't worth the month subscription rates for what you can get by buy music from iTunes or using/paying for Slacker Radio or Pandora. Personally I use Slacker more than Pandora, better genre and band variety per station. I like you step by step photos for the installation. Better preface that installation with replacement of the cabin air filters while your in the glove box. ;) I really like my Bracketron.com bracket and the holder I got from Crutchfield. I'll probably get another piece for the holder which will allow me to rotate the holder 90 deg.

Thanks for your help today guys!
Make sure you post pix of the finished product!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts