Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the extremely limited number on the lots, and the fact that Honda is selling a 1,000 or less a month, lack of any sales incentives, is this car going to be produced next year?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I hope so! I did see an Element commercial for the first time in ages! I was shocked!!! Maybe there's hope?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Given the extremely limited number on the lots, and the fact that Honda is selling a 1,000 or less a month, lack of any sales incentives, is this car going to be produced next year?
stupid 10 character limit
yes

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Are you sure there will be a '010? :lol: I am glad to hear there will be a '10 E.
there will be a 2010, but they won't sell'em in OHIO

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I get the feeling we're going to see a bit of resurgence for interests in the E. Reasons:
- THe "Cube" design momentum is coming on strong with the recent smaller offerrings from other makers
- Big influx of nontraditional looking vehicles coming (see new political push for the eco-friendly cars) I think will put the unique look of E's back in vogue a bit
- Function over form will take on more momentum in the market..see reasons above
- The E will benefit from these newer other makers' boxy mobiles from it's existing Honda virtues (smoother and more powerful drivetrain, bigger in comparison which some will prefer, general Honda dependability and resale features)

So my money is on a 2010 making it in. I'm also confident in a new version down the road...but I do worry they may do away with the "Element" for importing one of the other existing platforms in utility use.

I stand by how happy I am having the current gen in my driveway!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I guess I'll be the one to open this oft-discussed can of worms...

Honda would do themselves a huge favor by introducing their overseas-only diesel option to the Element. VW is starting to push harder on their diesel power plants with some apparent success and what better platform for a diesel than the Element. Americans aren't interested in diesel powered sedans or coupes like the Europeans; we thing diesel belongs in SUV's and trucks.

I for one would trade in my E if a diesel became available. I've always said I would drive this thing into the ground (200k miles at least by my estimation) but a diesel engine option would be a game changer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also would be interested in the E with the diesel. I'm looking for a distance cruiser with plenty of torque that would handle mountain passes without a sweat. Also would be willing to give up a bit of that headroom for a more longer layout for more capacity in that back and with the ability to hold golf clubs flat in the back. Hopefully a reduced profile will minimize the wind effect. Unfortunately I understand their problem of making the European Honda diesel emissions compliant for the US market. But if I had a wish list these would be on it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I already have a 2010 E in my garage. For $50.00 I will let you see it.
I want to see it. I can mail you a check, WesternUnion, and or PayPal if you'd like. Please just inform me on how to send you the funds, ASAP?
Thank you.....

·
Registered
831 Posts
Equipping the E with the diesel would be nice. I marketing the E would be helpful too. I can not remember the last time I have seen a commercial for the E. And as has been discussed when is Honda going to wake up to the fact that there is a bigger market than just the teen surfers? It is also a great choice for many age groups I see a lot gray haired E drivers. Many like I was who just happen to find the E though a friend. If I had seen a add showing all the E offered as an all around vehicle I would have been in one a year earlier.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Have to agree with all of that. I bought my E spur of the moment only because it was sitting in the dealer's showroom when I went in to buy my carefully researched CRV. We had no idea that they even made such a vehicle.

And yes, I remember the earlier run of Element commercials (kind of) because they were done so BADLY. The car information was there but they used a crab and a small dog who's name I can't spell that pulled your attention and memory away from the car. All I can remember from those commercials is a crab that kept telling the dog "I pinch..."

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Have to agree with all of that. I bought my E spur of the moment only because it was sitting in the dealer's showroom when I went in to buy my carefully researched CRV. We had no idea that they even made such a vehicle.
That's surprising, and statistically speaking puts you in the very small minority. Brand recognition on Element is something like 82 percent, which is also why Honda doesn't advertise it. People already know it exists. The current flavor's been out so long that anyone who was interested, realistically, has likely bought theirs. A new generation of Element is what will spur new purchasers.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I agree most people know what and Honda Element looks like. But my experience has been that most have little or no idea of its versatility. Because many have an issue with the box shape that is all they know about the E. I have had 3 friends who have gotten E’s after seeing and riding in ours. One for his son for going to collage another for his wife who fell in love with al the room and a fellow out doors guy. He first said he was surprised I would buy that Honda surf wagon. All older ,40’s and 50’s. I think it is time for some changes too. But I thing Honda has missed the boat on marketing the E. I am just another E own with an opinion.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
^ Yep.

Recognition: "That Honda sure is ugly."
Test drive: "I want one!"

Honda needs to get people to look inside the Element. But they don't really seem interested in selling Es, except to the target demographic (young, first-time buyers). The rest of us, they'd rather sell CR-Vs and Pilots to.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,945 Posts
Every Honda truck commercial I've seen was "preaching to the choir", and the choir either isn't listening or doesn't like what they're being told.

I think that the people who control Honda's advertising are the same kind of people who were behind the Bay of Pigs fiasco. They decide in advance who will be interested, assume they can be influenced by boring repetitive commercials, and ignore every other market segment. When they had statistics in hand that showed the average Element buyer is 20 years older than their target, they completely ignored their original target and the buying demographic and totally stopped marketing the Element. It wasn't because of model recognition, it was because of a lack of marketing cognition. Good marketing reacts and adapts to market conditions with re-targeted advertising. Honda America marketing doesn't.

They are doing the same thing with the Ridgeline, Fit and the new Insight. I don't know whether this is due to complacency, arrogance or ignorance, but it's truly awful marketing. When you have a better mousetrap, if you don't market it and keep marketing it, the world will beat a path - to the doors of competitors who do a more effective job of advertising their wares.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
^ Yep.

Recognition: "That Honda sure is ugly."
Test drive: "I want one!"

Honda needs to get people to look inside the Element. But they don't really seem interested in selling Es, except to the target demographic (young, first-time buyers). The rest of us, they'd rather sell CR-Vs and Pilots to.
Except that's really more of a dealer problem. And the dealers don't want to push Elements at all, since they can make MUCH MUCH more money on a CR-V with lots of trim and upgrade packages...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,945 Posts
Except that's really more of a dealer problem. And the dealers don't want to push Elements at all, since they can make MUCH MUCH more money on a CR-V with lots of trim and upgrade packages...
Stupid dealers don't realize they can make more from selling an Element than if someone buys a Scion or a Santa Fe because a loaded CR-V is out of their price range. The Element was supposed to be their entry level truck to pull in new customers who hadn't previously bought a Honda.

The new CR-V has become a mid-size station wagon/crossover and faces lots of direct competition. What used to the the Elements competition has evolved to become the CR-Vs competition. The Element now has no direct competition. A good marketing organization would advertise its distinctive features and capabilities, a great one would create a market. Honda's is letting the Element die, and focusing on producing "me-too" models. That's a recipe for corporate extinction.

The way things are going, by the time I need to replace my Element, I won't be able to get what I need from Honda. Some Chinese company that doesn't exist today will have forced them out of the US market.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts