Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Soft 8 397 Series Wheel
Finish: Black
Size: 16'' x 8''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2''
Rear Spacing: 5''

i want to pick up a new set of wheels and i want steel ones. will these fit with minimal problems?? or should i go with the 16 x 7''?

·
Registered
57 Posts

Soft 8 397 Series Wheel
Finish: Black
Size: 16'' x 8''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2''
Rear Spacing: 5''

i want to pick up a new set of wheels and i want steel ones. will these fit with minimal problems?? or should i go with the 16 x 7''?
whats the offset?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
RE: Offset

"rear spacing" is 5". That is typical for Bronco II/Ranger applications (and some Jeeps) I think....a bit more than 'typical" rear drive pick-up applications.

That leaves about 3" to the front on an 8" wide rim. Some quickie math says the offset is about 2" or 50mm (+). Taking into account some rounding and the thickness of the face of a steel wheel I'd say it is about a +40 to 45mm offset. (be sure to check for sure before buyin' 'em.) *EDIT* woops...I went "the wrong way" this AM...offset is more like 1inch or +25mm.*EDIT*

They'll fit, but prolly cause the tire to stick out from the wheel well area a bit. Watch for contact at the strut. (depends on tire size of course). 8" prolly isnt necessary, a 7" would prolly accomodate most "typical" tires you'd wanna use anyway.

+35mm seems "common" for a 8" rim here on the EOC.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so the 7'' wheels would probably stick out just enough with the 40 - 45mm back spaceing? like the +35 on the 8'' wheels?

you can also get these with 4'' backspacing.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
They will fit but will stick out about an inch, a 4 inch backspacing will stick out about 2 inches. A 6 inch would be ideal.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
What about the inside edge of the wheel. If you stick with the same offset, and choose a rim that is 1 1/2" wider, it will be 3/4" closer to the strut tower. In addition, the inside edge of the tire will be that much closer (more or less; depends on tire profile etc).

I still think focusing on the rim is approaching the problem from the wrong end. What is the target tire size?

·
Registered
608 Posts
these are what I have:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3655812/#
the specs are 15x8, -19mm offset, 5x4.5 bolt pattern

Since Im a acura/honda guy, i had no idea what the backspacing in inches meant..so I got the wrong size. Im guessing if there were more backspacing on yours that they would fit. And it looks like you want to get 16x8 which should fit.

For mine, I got 15's so I needed spacers in the front because the wheel was scraping on the caliper.

With my wheels being -19mm offset it makes them stick out about 2-2.5" in the front (with the spacer), and about 1.5" in the rear. And I stretched my tires just a little bit. Im running 225/70/15. Also, mine do not rub on the strut, and just a little bit (like less than a dollar bill size) on the inner fender when I turn the wheel all the way in one direction.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I once tried exchanging the wheels and tires between my RAV4 and Element (as an alternative to replacing the Wranglers). Same size tire and rim (at least in width and diameter). The Element ones fit on the RAV4 fine, but the RAV4 ones rubbed the brake calipers. I'm not sure whether that was a problem with offset, or with the shape of the backside of the spokes. The failed experiment didn't cost me any money, just a bit of my time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still think focusing on the rim is approaching the problem from the wrong end. What is the target tire size?
I havent thought that far ahead yet. my goal is i want the tires to stick out like the +35mm wheels do. also i want tires that are good for the mud and show as i drive this hunting every year.

Basically i want the off road look...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
see my edit above....sorry, musta needed more coffe this morning. The offset is closer to 20 or 25mm (positive).

backspace= distance from rear of wheel to the mounting point (part that sits on the hub)
wheel centerline = the center of the wheel width wise....or 1/2 the width.

backspace-wheel centerline = offset

sorry for any confusion....
DCIVW said:
my goal is i want the tires to stick out like the +35mm wheels do
they'll stick out almost 1/2" more that the 8inchers that are +35.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
So if I've calculated things correctly, the stock wheels have a backspace of 5". These new wheels would place the back rim the same distance from the strut tower. So a tire with a diameter between 28 and 29" should fit - at least relative to that tower. I wonder if 8" is within the allowable rim width range for 235/70/16 tires.

stock width: 6 1/2", half width: 6.5/2*25.4=82.5mm; add 45mm offset = 127mm or 5".

·
Registered
608 Posts
on my 8" wide rims, I have 225's that were stretched a little bit. when i was buying tires (from discount tire) they were recommending me with 235 or 245's. They are very knowledgeable with tire sizes and fitment. If i were you, I would just give them a call and talk about your question, even if you are not going to buy right away..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yeah, with the tires i want to run i dont want any stretching....

so it looks like the 16x7's with 5'' back spaceing running 235-70-16 should do the trick???

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
or should i get 225's?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spec tables??

·
Registered
608 Posts
mine are NOT stretched like these:

This is a pic of my actual rim and tire:

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Here is the spec table the BFG's shown in the previous post, with the 225/70/15 highlighted. Note that while the 'measured rim width' is 6.5, the allowable range is 6-8.

.../tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=Radial+T%2FA&v

oops, that tirerack link got hijacked by some other tire buying guide. Here's the spec table from the manufacturer's web site. This tables gives an rim range of 6-7.5 for this size (not 8 as in the other table).

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/radial-t-a/12.html

If terms like measure rim width don't make sense, I'd suggest browsing tire sites. They usually have pages explaining the terminology. Any who is wants to change tire or wheel size should familiarize themselves with terms.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OH! im an idiot... i thought you were talking about someting else sorry!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
these are what I have:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3655812/#
the specs are 15x8, -19mm offset, 5x4.5 bolt pattern

Since Im a acura/honda guy, i had no idea what the backspacing in inches meant..so I got the wrong size. Im guessing if there were more backspacing on yours that they would fit. And it looks like you want to get 16x8 which should fit.

For mine, I got 15's so I needed spacers in the front because the wheel was scraping on the caliper.

With my wheels being -19mm offset it makes them stick out about 2-2.5" in the front (with the spacer), and about 1.5" in the rear. And I stretched my tires just a little bit. Im running 225/70/15. Also, mine do not rub on the strut, and just a little bit (like less than a dollar bill size) on the inner fender when I turn the wheel all the way in one direction.
how did you get 19mm back spaceing? all i see is 4in and 5in...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts