Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help!

Debating picking up a dining table in person from a warehouse in Oregon to save shipping fee + tax (a few hundred $). Apparently the table comes boxed in a 52" x 52" x 6" box. I think this is cutting it close, but would anyone be able to chime in with thoughts on whether it'll fit through either the back hatch or front/suicide door?

We have the option to remove the seats in advance, if needed. Otherwise will have them swung into the against-the-wall position.

Muchas gracias, amigos.

-Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Element is not accessible before I need to make the decision, unfortunately. Also, thanks for being a jackass? We definitely need more folks like you in the world right now.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,467 Posts
Maybe if you'd mentioned that you didn't have the vehicle available to measure? The rear opening is about 55 inches from corner to corner, a 1" or 2" thick box might fit, but not 6". Further inside, it opens up some. Given that, I don't think you could get it in the side opening unless maybe you removed a front seat and at least one rear seat..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again, thanks for the input. I probably should have explicitly said I couldn't measure, but assumed that would be implied by the message. Thanks for the measurements and I agree that if it's 55" at widest (which is what I also approximately remember from a few years back), a 6" thick box won't come close to fitting.

I'm curious whether I can fit in the side with the front seats folded flat, then do some Tetris in order to get the front seats back in traveling position. But it sounds like this is probably a "too close to call" scenario. I feel like the 52x52x6 would fit back there, it's the getting in part that I won't be able to figure out in advance.

Oh well, thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,467 Posts
The interior is nowhere near 52 inches wide, so even with the front seats folded down and the rear seats removed, if you got it in above the front seats, I don't think you could tilt it enough to get it into the back. Got a roof rack (and a dry day)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure you're right.

I do have a roof rack, but this would be a 200+ mile trip with mostly highway, which sounds too difficult with that on the roof.

I might have the option to unpack the table on the spot, which would turn it into a 48" diameter round, with maybe 4-5" thick. Which also sounds like probably too big to try.

Will probably just opt to get it shipped.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,507 Posts
What if you removed both rear seats, folded the passenger side front seat all the way forward, and went in with the box at an angle through both passenger side doors wide open?

I'm just thinking out loud, but that is a rather large opening and it may work for you.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just went to measure. From the back, a 52” wide x 6” cross section box is too close for me to call without doing an actual mock-up. The full diagonal is about 55” but if the 6” were accounted for, it would either just fit through or just barely not able to fit.

If, you could take apart the box contents, assuming it will have pieces which add up to 6” thick ,but not one entire piece that thick, they will fit in there with seats moved out of the way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How big is the actual table? Could you take it out of the box & wrap in furniture blankets? Harbor freight sells them for like $5.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,920 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help!

Debating picking up a dining table in person from a warehouse in Oregon to save shipping fee + tax (a few hundred $). Apparently the table comes boxed in a 52" x 52" x 6" box. I think this is cutting it close, but would anyone be able to chime in with thoughts on whether it'll fit through either the back hatch or front/suicide door?

We have the option to remove the seats in advance, if needed. Otherwise will have them swung into the against-the-wall position.

Muchas gracias, amigos.

-Mike
De nada.

First, forget about the box. The table is obviously in parts and packed with space and padding to prevent shipping damage on the way to the warehouse.

What is the assembled size of the top of the table?
What shape is it?
What material is it made from?
Is the top one solid piece or is it a divided top that when assembled that can expand to accept a leaf?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,467 Posts
If the 4-5" inch thickness is not all the way out at the 48" diameter of the top, then it might fit diagonally in the rear opening.

Somewhat off topic: I once found an IKEA chair still in the box, and the box relatively undamaged, along a highway near my home. It was probably less than 5 miles from the store. I talked with the store and they were unable to identify the buyer, so I listed is on Craigslist "Found" for a week, no response. Took it back to the store in case someone showed up there looking for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It mainly depends on the car, if it is large it can fit. When I bought the furniture, also a dinner table, I had to fix it to the roof of the car because it was too big. In principle, it was my mistake that I didn't take the measurements, but I put the seats in the car. I got out of the mess after all. After that, I started ordering furniture here Traditional Living Room Sets - Living Room Furniture | NY Furniture Outlets, because they bring delivery to your home. Simple and convenient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts