Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add a power outlet to my car. I was thinking of removing one of the panels and putting a converter behind it and add an outlet.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I would like to add a power outlet to my car. I was thinking of removing one of the panels and putting a converter behind it and add an outlet.

It will work, but its not very smart. You are going to have the back of the
outlet, and possibly some wires exposed that will be carrying 120VAC. If they
are taped up really well, but the tape wears through and touches metal, your
entire car will become hot. You will be the ground. It would be like a James
Bond car alarm!!!!

You would have to be REALLY careful. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I wouldn't do it the way you have it shown here but there are inverter kits designed to do just what you're looking for.

http://www.invertersrus.com/bct010009d.html

With that inverter and an appropriate sealed accessory plate (i.e. a sealed marine outlet plate) you could install this without worrying about shorts.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
^^Neither would I.

I wouldn't mount it behind that panel,since it could possibly overheat. I would suggest mounting it in another location,maybe under your front passenger seat. Installation isn't really that big of a deal,all you need to do is hard wire it to the battery (fused with the proper gauged wiring of course) and plug in a quality extension cord to run from the converter to the receptacle. Then cut off the end of the extension cord and hard wire it to the receptacle. Just make sure all your connections are properly insulated and you should be fine.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i guess under the seat wont be so bad, i think it would be cool to have it in my E all the time, i can charge my laptop...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Have you already tried that inverter?

The reason I ask is that I have a similar one. I tried to use it once and it caused a lot of noise in the radio circuit.

Might be peculiar to the unit I have, but something to check before you get too deep into it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I plan to use my Jazz 500 Watt DC-2-AC, couldn't figure out exactly what wire gauge I would need so i have yet to install it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts