Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read reveiw of excessive wind noise at highway speeds, and experienced road noise and bumpy ride in rear seat in short test drive. Before I decide to purchase this vehicle for extended city and hwy driving, I would like to have replies from experienced owners. Thank you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Eureka - I find the road and wind noise to be less in this car than any I have owned before. If you were to look at the Car and Driver road test you will see that it is actually 2dB quieter than an Accord sedan. I drive 24 miles each way, to and from work, and find the ride to be very comfortable. Many times values such as wind and road noise tend to be subjective. Use your judgement for these. If this car isn't right for you, look for another. But for me, it serves my purposes extremely well. Good luck in your car search!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got a 30 mile commute one way- quietest vehicle I've had the pleasure to own. It is a little more prone to wind pruely look at the design, but its not unacceptable at all! I LOVE it! I'm racking up the miles fast-haven't had any of the problems mentioned around the boards(knock on wood!).

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think that you have to look at the car for its design and what it is. It is really a pure utility vehicle. The upright stance will give some additional wind noise. Also the somewhat short wheelbase and high stance (again) will give a somewhat bumpy ride in certain conditions. The Element is not designed to be a super smooth, quite, aerodynamic luxury car. It is a well thought out, well put together utility vehicle.

With that said, I must add that I find it to be very comfortable, quiet and peppy for a utility vehicle. Buy it. You will love it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm really puzzled by the people who claim high road or wind noise or even a particucularly bumpy ride, because these are not in line with my 1600 mile experience of driving an E.

If anything the E rides over the rough roads on my daily commute better than the soft suspension on my previous vehicle, a minivan. It's not that you don't notice the roughness, because you do, but it's not jarring at all. I've also ridden in the back and found it comfortable and it certainly wasn't what I'd call choppy.

Road and wind noise are also much lower than I expected - so much so that I keep finding myself going faster than I think because the noise levels lead me to think I'm going slower than I am! At 70mph it's possible to hold a conversation at normal level with passengers in the back seats without noise intrusion at all. Engine noise is noticable under hard acceleration, wind noise doesn't seem to be an issue at all, even in gusty side winds, and the only time road noise has been an issue for me is when driving on rutted, hard snow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For me, I think the ELEMENT has brought more than a few wannabe Test
Jockeys out of the swill. There has been a lot of really marginal reporting
re the Element by 'crossover' journalists who usually cover bake sales, obits
and whatnot. Very clearly, many reports exist which have sort of superficial,
pop culture orientation re the Element.
However- the ELEMENT is a really solid platform; the buggy is way un-noisey
given its Flying Phone Booth thrust into dead air. All the corners are rounded - very aero for a box. Very little wind noise is transmitted into the cabin; even the mirrors are relatively silent given their 'phone book' shape and size. I'm amazed how calm it is inside even at 65-75 mph when it's
really shoving great gobs of air around. SILENT STORM, I say. And much
ado about nothing by the No-Nothings.
Ditto re the intrusion of road noise for me; there just isn't much. BUT, I've
gone and done this odd thing in that I've got, and left in place, both the
HONDA carpetted and the rubber mats...maybe that blocks some of the
upward migration of road noise. I installed big Michelin skins (Synchrone
4X4 235/70/16's) and even though they're jumbo doughnuts they are
very quiet running tires, hence really good isolation from road rumble there.
Bumpy ride? The platform is solid, compliant and comfortable; it's hooked
up to the road in a very pleasing manner: The driver feedback in the fingers on the rim, the butt on the firm but comfy seat, and the general
ergonomic sensation is quite refined and certainly not accidental or coincidental...it's a really well thought out concept and is beautifully translated by the engineers who had the onerous task of combining compliance and comfort. The FIRM but comfortably sprung platform is
high on control, safety, predictability - it'll fly low and carry the mail without
lots of fuss or threats of getting crossed up in 'sporty' maneuvers.
Cheers, Tim B. aka GalaGreenBullPup beepbeep

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am considering buying an Element. One thing I am wondering about is that since its a 4 cylinder engine does it struggle up hills? I have driven my mom's Corolla and it is gasping up not a real steep hill. The salespeople keep on saying its a different kind of engine etc. but I would like to know for owners. Another thing is can you feel it shaking if you are going fast - about 75-80?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Did a mountain trip last weekend and it smoked on the hills. Passing lane up hill at 130kph. The elements performance on hills is a big reason I bought it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I picked up my 4x4 element last night, drove 300 km at 67mph to get home, and I have to say that at highway speeds it has much less wind noise than my Ford Aerostar van does. The ride was comfortable, and I felt I had more control due to it's very responsive steering. I also liked the short turning radius. With the van, I always had to back up a bit to do a U turn. Not the Element. I also did not notice the wind buffeting from transport Trucks as much. The first traffic light I stopped at gave me the impression that the Element had stalled as I could not hear it running. Quite a change for me.

I test drove a few Suv's and found the Element to be the quietest for road noise. The worst was the Pontiac Aztek. It seemed to have a very low drone all the time from road noise.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have no problems with road noise, rough rides, or being able to get right up to crusing speeds on the freeway, which is, here in California, is 80 mph, and when I run that fast my mileage suffers, so I will have to run slower, like maybe 70 or under to get better gas milage. Wow....that was a long sentence, wasn't it!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree with tblask and the others that the E has really fine manners wrt wind noise and handling. I'll add that it really performs admirably when dealing with hilly/mountainous terrain. I have a 2WD 5-sp., so being in the correct gear is a must, but I don't find that I have to be in a lower than normal gear to get up ond over. In other words, the torque is sufficient that you can drive and maintain, accelerate and pass, highway (and above) speeds in 5th gear on most grades. This 4-banger has guts.

peace,
-jdef

·
Registered
83 Posts
jdef says it all for hill-climbing. I've popped in and out of the city here a coulpe of times this weekend and never noticed any hesitation to accelerate on the 1-mile by 700-foot climb out of the city on a four-lane highway at 55mph+. The 4WD/AT EX had no difficulty at all maintaing traffic speed and accelerating.

I can't wait to get the time to take it up the mountain, maybe next weekend. The Timberline Lodge road is a 7-mile, 1500-foot+ climb at 6000 feet altitude with straights and hairpins, it really shows what kind of guts a vehicle has.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find that my Element is much quieter than the Chrysler LHS that I previously owned. It's just a matter of perception, it depends on what you were driving before. I would imagine it's noiser than a Rolls, quieter than a bulldozer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I drive 156 miles round trip everyday - I don't hear any excessive wind noise and the ride in the E is not bumpy! What type of vehicle did the people who are reporting these problems drive before the E? I am thinking that is the problem- what are people expecting? :shock:

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Element is on the louder side of vehicles I've owned. Both the Saturn I owned before this and my wife's Escape are quieter on the highway. It's not horrible by any stretch of the imagination and as one person in this thread stated, the upright design probably has a lot to do with it.

That said, I don't find it to be a problem (for me anyway).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I posted on the wind noise thread as well but my experience has been different from those who say that wind noise is not bad. When going over approx. 40mph, I get a constant whistling noise much like that of a teakettle and it is loud enough that it is bothersome. I dont' know if this is what everyone considers road noise but the engine and actual road contact noise is minimal. Is anyone experiencing this or is there a problem here?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mmmm. Maybe we're on to something here. I have that same whistling noise over certain speeds. I had my windshield replaced about a month ago (surprise) and assumed it was installed incorrectly, so I took it back to be reglued. It continued so I was going to take it back again. Now I'm not so sure.

Mine only does it sometimes. It's like air is getting in somewhere and making a sort of whistling/humming/blowing sound.

Anybody else get this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
No - you may want to have that whistling looked into. I drive very fast for long distances and have not heard that noise.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The ride is much different from the back seat. Kids aren't usually bothered by the ride.... It's when you older (and weaker).

Wind affects the ride more than most vehicles. I would NOT classify it as a bad riding car.... I put Goodyear Forteras 235/70/16's on my E last week and it rides much smoother and quieter.

But, even before that it was not a bad ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get that same noise! (that whistling noise, I mean)

I know three people isn't enought to make it a problem, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I'm due for an oil change soon so I thought I'd have the dealer check it out then.

Goalee1, has you Element always made that noise? Tigernumber6 seems to think his coincided with a windshield replacement. Mine started about two weeks after I bought it, before I had my windshield replaced and still does it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts