Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone out there having BIG problems with wind noise? Mine is so bad that I can't even talk on my cell phone unless I slow down to about 60 mph. To make matters worse, I can't even tell where it's coming from. I slammed Honda pretty hard on all of the surveys, and was foolish enough to think maybe they'd contact me. I was just wondering if I'm alone in the wind tunnel, or if others are blown away by the same problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like my E so much it's hard not to wverlooks some quirks. That said I think the wind noise is excessive. And with the windows down feels like a hurricane. I tried folding back both sideview mirrors and rolled up the windows.. still very loud. Just don't think that was a Honda priority. By no means is the E short on anomalies. Some products are long on innovation and short on execution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had no problems with wind noise but I do not normally drive with my windows down at highway speeds. At speeds of 60 to 65 mph the wind noise is not bothersome even when using a cell phone. It would be interesting to see if there has been a db level comparison between the Element and other cars under the same conditions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No problems with wind noise, but I drove a Subaru Outback for the three previous years and got lots of wind noise there. A Jeep Cherokee was my vehicle for four or five years prior to that and it was really noisy.

I also do not drive with the windows down at highway speeds, it eats up too much gas--more than using the air conditioning!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda has lived up to it's reputation today. I finally had the chance to take my E in to have the source of the LOUD wind noise being produced by my E isolated and repaired. To tell how loud it is, is to tell you that myfamily could hear me coming from a little less than a mile away. NO BS!!! Anyway, I took it in for repair and after 4 different service personnel drove it, one finally hit on the problem. If you have a roof rack on your E, there should be a thick rubber strip that extends across the entire width of both roof rack slats. In my case, the strips had been left off and as the air travelled over them, it replicated the sound of blowing across the top of a bottle. The faster I went, the louder and more shrill it became. Here's the Honda testament: Instead of ordering the rubber strips, and blah, blah, blah, they installed a brand new roof rack AND picked up the tab on my oil change as thanks for my patience. That my friends, is service. I'd be tempted to give these guys my Bud Light!!! It's little things like this that give me hope for the future of corporate America...er, um......Japan.

·
Registered
359 Posts
zozohead: This is really funny. I was all set to post about how the E is very much like pushing a box thru the air and how there will always be extra wind noise with a auto shaped like an E. Blah Blah Blah.

I am so glad that I read your most recent post, prior to me posting, and to know that something was actually causing the extra wind noise that you described. And that Honda took care of it!!!!!!!!!!! Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote:b9846c6fd2="zozohead"]...it replicated the sound of blowing across the top of a bottle. The faster I went, the louder and more shrill it became.[/quote:b9846c6fd2]

Reminds me of a time my buddy and his 94 T-Bird had an unfortunate incident with the Dallas Police - a 9mm emptied through the driver's side of the car from the INSIDE passenger seat rendered the T-Bird windowless and put several through-and-through holes in the side. Above 40 she sounded like bagpipes gone bad... :shock:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have noticed this wind noise also, although not to the extent that you have encountered. The noise I notice is when the driver's side window is down and you go above 35 MPH. It's like a high pitched sqeeling noise. When you fold the side mirror back it goes away, seems to be made from going through the crack between the mirror and where it swivels. Does anyone else have this problem, is it normal, or should i take my E in to get checked out?

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't really notice the wind noise at all--and I had a luggage basket up on top for the past two weeks. However, prior to having the E I had a Toyota 4x4 pickup, so maybe it is just that the E is quiet in comparison.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yesterday I had terrible wind noise. This has happened before. Very loud coming from the drivers side window/mirror/side. Its been very windy but the noise is very loud. The other side has no noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts