Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered an EX to arrive in June. I also ordered the roof rack. I've been told that it causes noise, especially at speeds above 40 mph. Does anyone have any first hand experience? If it does cause the noise, is there a fix?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have an E with a roof rack and had TERRIBLE wind noise! I took it back to the dealer and after 4 different service folks drove it, they figured it out. The roof rack slats that go sideways across the roof are supposed to have thick rubber strips on the top to fill the gap. Mine were inadvertently left off when the rack was installed. Consequently, it was blowing over the top of a bottle, the faster I went, the louder and more shrill the noise became. The dealership was wonderful. Instead of giving me the run-around about ordering the strips, etc, the installed a whole new roof rack. They even threw in a freee oil change to thank me for my patience.

The bottom line is that now there is not more wind noise caused by the roof rack. In all honesty though, the E is a noisy beast when it comes to wind. It's about as aerodynamic as billboard. A very cool, lovable billboard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zozohead! Your post brought a huge smile to my face! I love the image of the aerodynamic billboard!

The information is very helpful. I'll be sure to double check for the strips of rubber before leaving the dealership as I will probably go ahead with the roof rack.

Many thanks.
:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
my badass stereo is up so loud the whole time anyway that i dont even notice road noise :) but nice to know that when i get my roof rack it wont scare off wildlife in a 30 mile radius.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just drove all the way to Florida with large basket on top of my roof rack. Really not much noise at all--and you know a cargo basket isn't aerodynamic!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts