Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm doing this in the right place.

I have a H&A Honda Roof Rack.
I'm pretty sure it's the source of the wind noise I hear when on the highway.
I don't even listen to the radio/cd player as I like peace and quiet.

So I found the windnoise a bit tireing on a little pleasure trip to see the fall color.

Can a 'deflector' of some sort help?
or will just add other noise and effect gas mileage?

Looking for advice here, never had noise problems with previous vehicles.

And as I will be useing a Yakima unit on the rack for future traveling, how would a flareing (I think they are called) fit with a Yakima also on attached to the front rack bar.

Had a great mini trip, E performed well and wife and I had a comfortable ride with our 2 dogs.

feel free to email me direct at [email protected]

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Does the rack have the 'rubber' insert on both the slats? If so, you shouldn't be getting any real noise from the rack. (assuming this is an OEM rack without any modifications)

The obnoxious road noise from the tires is a whole different story... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
roadnoise

Ok thank.
It did seem like the noise was coming from the roof.
But it sure could be frame vibration from tire rumble.

I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I've heard a 'whistle' coming from the roof rack if the rubber piece is missing, but other than that I haven't ever heard of any noise coming from the OEM rack.

Road noise in general has been an issue with the E for a while, not so bad in the later models as it was in the earlier ones, but still.

Noise in general has been one thing that in my experience has a weird habit of making itself sound like it's coming from a different part of the E.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Aloha check this thread for a cheap solution - basically parachute cord wrapped around your bars to break up air flow.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The cord around the bars apparently works for round Yakima and square Thule bars, but the Honda bars are more aerodynamic. They don't usually produce the kind of hum that bare Yakima bars do. A missing cover for the slot in the top of the bar is the most common cause of whistling on the Honda bars (think of blowing across the top of a pop bottle).

Also, because they are aerodynamic, the Honda bars don't produce much white noise either.

You did not specify what Yakima 'unit' you plan on using. Yakima rack owner often find that bare bars are noisier than ones with attachments, including the big boxes. So you probably won't need a fairing when adding a box. I believe the Loadwarrior basket comes with its own fairing.

In theory it is possible to add a fairing to the Honda bars, but Yakima and Thule fairings won't work straight out of the box. They are designed to fit their bars. So you'd have to buy or make a fitting that would work with the Honda bar - one that does not interfere with the box.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ahh - I misread the post and thought he had yak racks - mahalos for the correction ;-)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2009 and the noise my e was making was related to the windshield....it was a high pitched kazoo noise...its on tsb and was fixed by the dealership

1 - 8 of 8 Posts