Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody...

Just curious to find out how many people had their VIN numbers etched into their windows....supposedly it is a good idea just in case the unthinkable theft happens....I had mine done by the dealer and they recommended it....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They charged about 150$ for it...and supposedly if my E is ever stolen (HOPE NOT!) I could get a lot more money back because it has this feature on it...I guess it is like a theft deterrent...even get a small deduction on my car insurance for it.... :wink:

I'm not sure if it's even offered in all states.....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Um, I don't know how to tell you this, but... you got ripped off. $150 is way overkill, even for a dealer. There are some police departments that do this for free, the guys at caretch.com sell a kit for $29, and I've seen kits on Ebay as low as $9.

I'd also give your insurance guy a call. I'd be really suprised if there was any savings.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We told the dealer that we didn't want it or the undercoat, and they said that they do it on all their cars. Upshot was, we got both for n extra charge and yep, the undercoat is a rip off too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can buy kits to do this for $15. However, it's kinda goofy. I fell for this on my first new car. Now I feel its like an "idiot" badge. The VIN is on several of your body panels anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow....

Seems like I've been had....

Wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last. Thanks for the info everyone!! You guys are great. :p

·
Registered
914 Posts
You can easily buy glass etching cream ($3.50) at a craft store and then make a stencil of the numbers (whatever size you want) and etch it on your window yourself...However, what stops a thief from replacing the glass?

·
Registered
57 Posts
[quote:4e8db7ac1b="marky"]I'd also give your insurance guy a call. I'd be really suprised if there was any savings.[/quote:4e8db7ac1b]

If you are already getting a discount for the Immobilizer Anti-Theft System, glass etching and/or the security system will not add to the discount........at least with my insurance company.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Worst dealer rip-off: While I was at another dealer, a woman was picking up his Element. I overheard the salesman explaining the extra $499 added to the sticker- a charge for "carpet and upholstery treatment". When the salesman walked away for a moment, I pointed out to her that the "E" has stain resistant seats, and no carpets.

She was still yelling at the guy as I left.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote:a85af70f55="TennesseE"][quote:a85af70f55="marky"]I'd also give your insurance guy a call. I'd be really suprised if there was any savings.[/quote:a85af70f55]

If you are already getting a discount for the Immobilizer Anti-Theft System, glass etching and/or the security system will not add to the discount........at least with my insurance company.[/quote:a85af70f55]

In Jersey--with the insurance rates as high as they are--I think people do anything just to bring them down a notch...I guess even resorting to getting ripped off by the dealer without even knowing about it.... :oops:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I got it as a package and it does add a discount to the insurance beside the alarm and airbags.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here in Arizona, your local police department will do it for free. We got our vehicles done. It is different from the dealers etching.

The police department etches it with the VIN number rather than a special code. So, when they pull your car over, they can match the VIN # on the glass to the frame VIN # without having to call HONDA or the manufacturer, etc.

And it's free. Check with your local police department if they offer this in your city or state.

John

·
Registered
27 Posts
From my experience of having a vehicle stolen. Trust me you don't want it back anyway, you just want a check to replace it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
[quote:3484df05fb="Mark II"]From my experience of having a vehicle stolen. Trust me you don't want it back anyway, you just want a check to replace it.[/quote:3484df05fb]

I have to agree, atleast, in most cases. :lol: :lol:

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
This feature was offered to me just yesterday as I am a new Owner as of tomorrow. The only benefit to this idea was the $ Honda gives you if your car was stolen. Not a bad idea since the reason I got a E was due to the fact that my Neon was stolen. Keep in mind though, the number in the windshield is on 12 other places.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts