Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
EOC Rank: Seagull
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
the driver's side power window will open or close only when the door
is open about 45 degrees. this is crazy!

i read other posts about resetting the power window control but no mention of
opening the door.

please help explain.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
the difficult part will be finding where the short/crimp is.
it's either w/i the door, which would require removing the interior panels, or it's in the door hinge area where the wires go from body to door.

there is a heavily pictured tutorial on removing the door panels on this site, done by locksmith.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
window gremlin

but if it works when door is open at 45 degrees, wouldn't that indicate it's in the hinge area.
i asked one mechanic at pep boys how much it might be to fix, and he said the charge would be hourly at $50 per half-hour, and there's no telling how long it would take. does that sound
reasonable.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If it's a poor connection, it could be the action of opening/closing tugging on the wiring harness. I would do the easy thing first and check inside the door panel and all the connections there. It might be as simple as the entire connector not perfectly seated.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I wouldn't pay Pep Boys to do anything.
If you're not comfortable performing electrical investigations then I would seek out a company that specializes in this sort of thing.
I would first look inside the rubber boot protecting the harness between the body and door. See if any wires are shady looking. If that checks out, I would then pull the trim panel off and get a voltmeter. Check power at the motor; and then pierce the wire in the harness between the door and body that corresponds to that same wire you just checked at the motor. That harness plugs in behind the kick panel so if you want, go ahead and make sure your connections and power is solid there as well.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
window gremlin

thank you for all the advice. it all sounds very helpful, and so i plan to take the car monday to an electrical car place and watch to see if they follow your instructions.
thanks again!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts