Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have the install instructions to replace the power window regulator for the driver’s side of a 03' EX? I would greatly appreciate it...
Thanks, Blair

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks... I Handled it...

The dealer wanted to charge me 2 hours shop time to replace the Regulator Assy. I did it myself in less that one hour with no instructions... it was easy and it works like new... :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Broken passenger window regulator

:mad: :) Have not found any posts on this, so maybe I'm the first to experience this.

06 EX-P, 190006 miles. I was driving to work Tuesday with the windows slightly cracked (warm enough for airflow, yet cool enough not to use the A/C - we actually get 2-3 days a year in GA like this). It started to rain so I put the windows up. Heard a loud crack fromthe passenger door, then the window started to slowly move downward. The control had no effect, so I quickly pulled over, pushed the window up from both sides and wedged a wad of labels in between the window and the door frame.

Mall of GA Honda (a great dealer if you're in the NE Atlanta area) was quick to replace the regulator - gave me a free oil/filter change and threw in a Honda racing cap to boot. Everything is working fine now, just waiting for the drivers window to drop like my ex's Grand Cherokee - both windows in under 40K.

Hopefully I can says enough Hail Marys to keep it from happening!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
lude1-E2 said:
:mad: :) Have not found any posts on this, so maybe I'm the first to experience this.

06 EX-P, 190006 miles.
I certainly hope that was a slip and it's 19,006 and not 190,006. :grin: That's still a lot of miles for a vehicle that's less than a year old.

Yes, I can't recall a single mention of a failed power window before yours, so chalk this one up as "atypical". You get to be the pioneer, I guess... and thank goodness for warranties!

This is my #1 failure fear, although I think by now it is unwarranted. We've always bought manual crank windows on previous cars because power windows were a notorious trouble area regardless of make, but there was no such "downgrade" option in the E. We especially have no regrets buying our now-older Miata with crank windows - we remain trouble-free while most of our Miata-club brothers and sisters have eaten at least one little plastic power-window track in their cars' lives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MikeQBF said:
I certainly hope that was a slip and it's 19,006 and not 190,006. :grin: That's still a lot of miles for a vehicle that's less than a year old..
When you drive 52 miles one way to work every day, the miles add up quick, but it is only 19K - but I'm not worried, I'm driving a Honda!:p I expect 190K to just about geting the drivers seat broken in to my wide spread!

MikeQBF said:
Yes, I can't recall a single mention of a failed power window before yours, so chalk this one up as "atypical". You get to be the pioneer, I guess... and thank goodness for warranties!

This is my #1 failure fear, although I think by now it is unwarranted. We've always bought manual crank windows on previous cars because power windows were a notorious trouble area regardless of make, but there was no such "downgrade" option in the E. We especially have no regrets buying our now-older Miata with crank windows - we remain trouble-free while most of our Miata-club brothers and sisters have eaten at least one little plastic power-window track in their cars' lives
Same with me, I would have gotten manual windows if they were available - but I'm sure we're not the typical car buyer in the market today - the windows in the Lude are still cranking w/o any problems:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
This has happened to me twice! I left work on Friday of Labor Day weekend only to find that my passenger side window had vanished while parked in the lot. All the Honda service depts in town were completely booked on Saturday. That was a bummer, I had to spend the holiday weekend with a window that wouldn't roll up. They replaced it the following Tuesday under warranty.

I walked to the parking lot last night after work - the same thing, except the driver's side window was missing this time. At least I knew exactly where to look. The first time I thought my car might've been broken into, but no broken glass.....took me a couple of seconds to look down inside the door.

Anyway, it is back at the dealer today getting the second window regulator replaced in exactly one month's time - 9/5 and 10/5. Just thought I would check the boards here and see if it was a common problem. Doesn't appear to be, guess I'm just one of the lucky few.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Driver's Side Window Woes

I hit the end of my warrantee yesterday, and guess what... problems today. I went out to my car after work, and the driver's side window had apparently slid down into the door. I noticed the window acting a little funny a few days before, but I thought I just wasn't hitting the up/down switch completely. Take warning, if you "thought" you hit the down window button and nothing happens, or you hit the "up" and it goes up a few inches, the goes back down, you may have the symptoms of my problem. This started a week ago. It fell down ON ITS OWN during the day, as it was up when i left my car in the lot this morning. Nothing was missing, so I assume no foul play. The dealer may actually be taking care of it out of warrantee since I was so close. we shall see. I will give props if he does. FYI, for the past 8 months, I use the window twice about once a day to reach out and swipe an entry card at my complex. Other than that, I have rarely had it down frequently since I bought it in 08/04.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
fixed!

Honda Cars of Corona (CA), fixed my window for FREE! Even though my mileage was just over warrantee. It was apparently a fairly expensive part too. This is not the first time I have had great service their either. Good service is a main reason I got a Honda. Props to Honda.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here we go; Window Regulator Cable

There's been a few postings about this so far, but I thought I'd add my experience...

First off: 2004 EX approx 30,000 miles....

In late August of this year, I am raising the driver's side window and I hear a *SNAP* and the window slowly rolls down and will not go back up.

I take the E to my dealer and am told it's the window regulator cable and that the part is **On Backorder Nationally**. They do get the part within the week and the repair is covered under my 7year/70K extended warranty, so everything is cool.

until....

October 9th.....I am raising the passenger side window and *SNAP* there goes the other one....! This time they have the part in stock and they change it out in less than an hour. Again, covered under warranty.

Now this reminds me of an old friend of mine who had a VW Jetta and had a similar problem with his window. At the time he said that he had heard that there was a plastic "clip" in the power window mechanism that was subject to drying out and becoming brittle in hot and arid climates. He was also told that VW was aware of the problem and chose to replace the items with the same old parts instead of fixing the design of the part in question. I have also heard of similar problems with other makes and models (OK only the Jeep Cherokee, but that does make three....).

I checked with the service person, and although he would not confirm anything concerning the part and it's failure, he did tell me that each repair would have run about $350 if not under warranty.

So it appears that if I want to keep my E for an extended time, the only smart thing to do would be to continue to extend the warranty (if further extended warranties would cover the part), since it appears that I may be dropping $700 every 3-4 years to replace these buggers. Or maybe I should leave Tucson for a more forgiving climate ;-)

Oh well, I guess no car is perfect. And I have been looking at the Fit (Or I would if the local dealers would ever have one in stock long enough for me to look at it)...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Crap, here I am again, this is the THIRD freaking time this happened. Went to the store this morning and heard a crack when I rolled my window up....came out half an hour later and the driver's side window had fallen down into the door. I'm hoping this is gonna be covered under my extended warranty. What an irritating and annoying problem.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This is not just Honda. Almost all manufacturers have re-designed their window regulators to the lighter and cheaper cable driven style. Some are so bad that the entire window is held up by a small piece of plastic. It's a major headache with us because we get the blame for breaking them when it wasn't our fault. It's the "you were the last one to touch it" syndrome. And to make matters worse, to fix the broken part you have to buy the whole damn thing usually to the tune of around $200. In the long run all it's gonna do is make us have to raise our prices to cover the loss.

I'll stop now before I get too carried away... it's a touchy subject with us.

cheers
Pierre

·
Registered
301 Posts
Okay....so as expected it turned out to be the regulator...both springs and plastic seats broke away from the motor. The replacent was a breeze.....I'm thinking the job was about a 4 on the 10 scale. You can tackle this job with a smile if you have any mechanical skill at all.

290 Posts
Just dont know what the part is called. I see people say window regulator but i dont think thats the part that is broken. It looks like the part that is broken is a white wheel that the window cable hooks to.

Ill# Part No Description Qty List Price
001 39885-S5A-A01 LABEL, IMMOBILIZER 2 2.00 1.50
72210-SCV-A02 REGULATOR ASSY., R. FR. DOOR POWER 1 89.78 67.34
003 72230-SCV-A01 SASH, R. FR. DOOR (LOWER) (FR) 15.65 4.24
72231-SCV-A01 SASH, R. FR. DOOR CENTER (LOWER) 1 5.45 4.09
72235-SCV-A01 CHANNEL, R. FR. DOOR RUN 1 59.22 44.41
72250-SCV-A01 REGULATOR ASSY., L. FR. DOOR POWER 1 125.34 93.99
007 72270-SCV-A01 SASH, L. FR. DOOR (LOWER) (FR) 1 5.65 4.24
72271-SCV-A01 SASH, L. FR. DOOR CENTER (LOWER) 1 5.45 4.09
72275-SCV-A01 CHANNEL, L. FR. DOOR RUN 1 59.22 44.41
73300-SCV-A00 GLASS ASSY., R. FR. DOOR (GREEN) (APTECH) 1 170.28 127.71
73350-SCV-A00 GLASS ASSY., L. FR. DOOR (GREEN) (APTECH) 1 170.28 127.71
012 91540-SV4-003 CLIP, HARNESS BAND (145.2MM) (NATURAL) 4 4.08 3.05
91580-SM4-003 CLIP, CONNECTOR (ORANGE) 2 3.33 2.50
93405-06016-08 BOLT-WASHER (6X16) 4 0.68 0.51
95701-06010-08 BOLT, FLANGE (6X10) 6 0.72 0.54
95701-06012-08 BOLT, FLANGE (6X12) 8 0.82 0.61
95701-06016-08 BOLT, FLANGE (6X16) 4 0.68 0.51

·
Registered
12 Posts
before I buy a new regulator.. any help???

I have 2003 element. I have read all the threads concerning the windows and regulators and such...

the only thing stopping me from buying the part online and installing myself is this-

most of the ppl in this forum who needed new regulators, heard some noises... either at the time of failure, and/or after failure.

I didnt hear anything when it got stopped moving up... and I do not hear anything when either of the power window buttons are pushed now.

The passenger side power window is stuck approx. 2/3 up. it can be lifted up manually from my experiements.

questions-
for this 2003 element, which fuses should i check first?

do you think it is the regulator or another issue?

passenger side regulator is also called 'right side" correct?

please email me [email protected] with your thoughts, as i really want to order and fix a.s.a.p...

thanks so much for this forum!

ps- EVERY DOG OWNER SHOULD HAVE AN ELEMENT!!!!

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Rhay777.

for this 2003 element, which fuses should i check first?
Fuse box diagrams on pages 299-300 of the 2003 owner's manual. If you don't have a manual, you can get a paper copy here, or view a PDF version here. Also see these diagrams for the under-dash and under-hood boxes.

Passenger side is "right" and driver's side is "left" to us, but note that Honda did built RHD versions for the export market (primarily Japan).

If you don't hear any sound when pressing the up/down button, check the fuse before going any further. I'm not entirely clear on whether your driver's window is working. If only the passenger's window is inoperative, be sure the lockout switch (page 103) isn't pressed.

Also, I killed the duplicate thread you started on this problem. One thread per topic, please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
one of those moments where you feel like a complete moron...

....yes, it was the damn main window lock switch...

im very very glad i did not order the part ..or pay someone to work on it...

regardless, im really happy to find this site and i hope to get some pics on my profile soon.

so much info. for me to go through in this site... im gonna end up spending a fortune customizing my car!! ....too many good ideas

thanks so much

ps- due to its 'slowness' ... i think one day i will end up having to change it out anyway...

1 - 20 of 136 Posts