Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a way to place a screen in or over one or both of the front windows? Years ago I remember seeing a product that looked like a 4-5 in. window screen that you placed in your car window and rolled it up to wedge it in place. I've searched the internet for something like that with no luck. I plan on making a bug screen to fit over the sunroof using cloth screen and flexible strip magnets, but unless you can open another window, you still wouldn't get good ventilation for camping in it. I could make the same kind of screen for the front and just attach it to the outside of the car, but I'd like to find a better option.

If any one has any ideas, or has seen anything like this for sale anywhere, I'd sure appeciate the info.

Thanks,
Gayle

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am working on kinda the same thing, can you let me know how the strip magenets work for the sunroof, i am just wondering about the headliner and if they would be powerful enough.

but what i was thinking is the easiest thing to do would be to use strip magnets on the "back" doors. just open the wing windows and almost all the of the surface around them is steel, so that should be perfect for the strip magnets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think a screen could be fitted over the smaller back windows easily. For the top, I was actually thinking of removing the glass and placing a cloth screen on the outside where the magnets would lay on top of the car against the metal. If you made it loose enough you could even place it over the whole window with the glass in place and open. I just want to keep the bugs out while sleeping and let the air in. I think the magnets would be strong enough to keep it from blowing off. I'm still trying to locate some screening material. So far I haven't seen anything in a darker color at the local stores. I think I'll probably find something at a camping supplies place.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What i was going to try was the Home Stores. I was looking at home depot and they had a ton of fiberglass screens to choos from, mostly feel like stiff cloth, but, i dont know what that would do the paint if you use it on the roof.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can find the mosquito netting stuff all day long at a fabric shop. I have also been thinking about doing this and I have seen this material on ebay too.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
For all campers & anyone who wants to keep the bugs out. I found a company in Scottsdale, AZ that makes custom screens for car doors. They slip over the top of the door like a sock with a slit for the side mirros & velcro to pull snug under mirros.

The company is called Skreenz by Blethen, Box 14524, phone #480-676-9512. You have to order by mail but they are very pleasant to deal with. Price was $50 per pair plus $9 shipping.

http://skreenz.com

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the info and pix, msgail. I may have to order a set for my E. Gotta ask though, what is the doohickey mounted on your side-view mirror?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Those are pretty cool!

Especially in muggy weather!

:lol:

-brendan

PS - Yes, more pictures of the doohickies as well. I love mine!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Gotta ask though, what is the doohickey mounted on your side-view mirror?
DustE

Those are wide angle mirrors I got from Camping World

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
At Gettysberg. Gail had the side mirror add-ons that attracted a lot of inspection. Cool that she comes up with the screens, too! You go, girl!! Really neat stuff.

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
Gail you are quite the sleeper EOC member. You never get into the off topic wild posts but you always come out with these cool things that impress us! The mirrors and the screens are 2 of the more helpful affordable mods Ive seen! THANKS!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Those are sweet. Also ads a bit of privacy! With the tint in the back, a sunshade on the windshield, and these, who needs the privacy shades? Well, at night you would.

Too bad my 2 week camping trip starts in a week. These would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
370 Posts
[quote:0d67e0638d=" "]Those are AWESOME. Is the screen mesh small enough to keep out no-see-ems?[/quote:0d67e0638d]

Looked at the website and yes, no-see-ums are blocked out by this product. Such a sweet idea. I am trying to arrange a rush order. They do take paypal so I'm hoping I can avoid needing to send a check.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:6ba01ac6e2=" "]Stop by a sporting goods store (REI?) and pick up a few yards of tent mesh, and the screens for your self.[/quote:6ba01ac6e2]

Well, not quite...

From their FAQ page:
http://www.skreenz.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm

What are Skreenz made of?
Skreenz are made of a special coated fiberglass material that has a unique property of not stretching in the horizontal and vertical direction (the waft and the weave) while stretching on the bias. This allows the Skreenz to snugly fit around a van door window frame and stay tight when you close the doors, keeping out flying insects. Sewn edges are finished with a binding material to give them a professional, finished look.

Will my van doors leak if it rains and I have a Skreenz on them?
No. The Skreenz are made of a soft, yet strong, water-resistant material that is so thin that it allows the gaskets around van doors to completely close and form a seal, as they normally would.

Will Skreenz keep "no-see'ems" (miniature black flies) out of our van while we sleep?
Skreenz are fabricated using a 20x20 fiberglass mesh material to keep out stinging, biting insects like mosquitoes, bees, wasps, hornets, horse/deer/house flies and those really small, pesky "no-see'ums".

-brendan

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks guys I think they're cool too.

I've been using them this week at work & have found the E much cooler & without bugs. Also takes less time for the a/c to cool down.

Now I'm not say to do this but you could leave them on while driving. I've left the passenger side on to go to the bank. Can't leave the drivers side on & do drive thru. :lol:

Now all I have to do is make a screen for the sun roof & I'm ready for camping.

MsGail

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Here is another phone # that's listed on the tag 480-391-1450. Sorry I didn't check to see if they were the same in the first place. You can email Chuck at [email protected]. He will respond & mention elementownersclub.

Sent them a thank you with picture on Wednesday & got a response Thursday. They want to use my picture on their website & I agreed. Also mention I posted about their product on the boards.

Forgot to mention I have the Honda rain guards on the doors. Just notice if you look at the inside picture you can see them.

Hope this helps
MsGail

·
Registered
293 Posts
Most excellent information! Thanks... :)

1 - 20 of 96 Posts