Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about adding window tint to my Element and would like some help in deciding which brand of tint is best. I would just like to match the factory tint on the E. The three brands that are available in my area are Formulaone, Vista, and LLumar. They all cary Warranties and I have never added tint to any vehicles before. Any suggestions? Any feeling good, bad, indifferent? The price is as much as $ 25.00 difference.

Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just went to the guy i go to and asked him to match it. he charged me $40 for both windows. i may do the sunroof, but im going to wait for the summer first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you're worrying about the wrong thing. BRAND is totally meaningless to YOU the customer .. you wouldn't know what we the tinters gave you one way or the other ... just whastever we told you.. not to be mean of course.. but BRAND is a nonissue to you.

you you need to look for are
1. Lifetime warranty.
2. Metallized film, not dyed,
3. filed edges, so there will be no top edge gap
4. Is a scratch warranty available
5. Is film tucked at least 2" on bottom edge of an Escape (door panels must be removed.. easy if a pro does it)

~ call the Lexus, Jaguar, Mercedes dealer CSR's .. see where they send their new cars for work.. then call those shops and ask them the questions

(note I didnt say Honda, Toyota, Kia dealer... they ALWAYS go to the CHEAPEST not always the best tinter... they are more concerned w/ price and not quality)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is that how you get a perfectly smooth line around the perimeter of the glass? I have always tinted my own windows and never knew how to get the edge to terminate perfectly with the glass's edge. I do run an extra inch into the door and make sure it goes into the frame track, but the exposed edges have always been a mystery to me. I have been using something as a straight edge and trimming it with a diamond cut x-acto blade. I adjust the angle of the straight edge accordingly as I move it along the glass, but of course this doesn't perfectly match the curvature of the window. I just wish I had a clean garage to work in. I am forced to tint outside and there is always some piece of lint or dust that gets on the glass! I am usually the only one who sees it though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alien... you may want to peruse another site and ask tint questions there (being an 'amateur' tinter) ... you'll find everyone there is friendly and will answer your questions. There are ALOT of things about tinting most don't know ~ like filing... DO NOT attempt that trick until you know the exact method (you will destroy the glass).

(there are other tint sites, but I can gaurantee you'll get hazed and called an idiot for asking the simplest of questions... totally uncalled for)

go to
http://www.findatinter.com/forum

~~I use the same name there as well

·
Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone had the sunroof tinted? My tinter says that untempered glass can't be tinted successfully, because the film of tint puts too much tension on the glass. What alternatives are there to the fugly sunscreen? (I've been using a suction cup shade that's about 12"x14" and it seems to do the job, but only in a Mickey Mouse way.)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Get another tinter... this one doesn't know what he is talking about.

The skylight glass has to be tempered or heat-treated in some way to be used in a motor vehicle. Tempered glass is used in the automotive industry because the breakage pattern is predictable - many small pieces that are mostly harmless. Untempered glass breaks in an unpredictable way - small and large pieces with sharp, cutting edges or points.

Either way, exactly what kind of stress can an adhesive film put on the glass anyway?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most likely the sunroof glass is tempered (look in the corner of the glass, it will say something like "temperlite" etc)

The tinter IS RIGHT that untempered glass is prone to breakage from window tinting ~ but it's not a gaurantee... that is why skilled installers know what films to put on what types of glass...

That is one of the big reasons you are not supposed to tint a windsheild ~ other than reduced visibility. A windsheild is not tempered (it's laminated annealed glass) and therefore is susceptible to heat fracture.

My guess is you either found 1. A hack window tinter who doesn't have a damn clue what he's talking about (a good 80-90% of all window tinters are drug riddled HACKS .. and that's from the mouth of a window tinter!) or 2. You found a tinter who simply doesn't like to tint sunroofs and fed you a line to get rid of you. Yeah... shocking I know.. lol.. all tinters have something they hate tinting (me, I charge $45 just to do a w/sheild visor strip, I HATE them!... I hope it scares them from doing that part... if not, at least I got paid to do something I despise doing)

Anyway... I've never seen a sunroof that wasn't made from tempered glass ~ there shold be no reason it couldn't be tinted

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have my sunroof tinted in 35%, and your right windowtint your #1 choice is mostly right. That fits most of the tinters I know. I also used to tint. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
WindowTint,

What do you think of a shield visor strip on the Element ??

??? Remember, you don't have to install it :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Simon

if you are having a problem with glare in the windsheild, a visor strip could be of great assistance

If you go shopping for one, make sure the tinter installs a CONTOURED VISOR... not the standard "eyebrow" style. The difference is that a countoured visor will have the exact same width all the way across and follow the shape of the windsheild... a standard visor (is ugly and amateurish looking) is the style that is wide on the side edges and more narrow in the middle near the rearview mirror.

It should only take the tinter about 5 minutes or so to install once he starts (a good tinter will probably be slammed with work... "time to completion" and actual total work time are completely different)

BTW... I only hate doing them because they are a total no-skill processs (IMHO) and I just feel like I'm doing something that I should be tossing off on a floor sweeper while I do something harder like a back glass... ~ but they don't look bad! ~ I have one on both of my vehicles... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a question for WindowTint. I'm going to have my sun roof glass tinted, mainly to keep my dogs from getting sunlight while they are riding back there, plus there are times I leave them in the car with reflective silver shade tarps draped over the windows.

How dark should I get the tint? Do they make such a thing as a reflective silver tint? My E is silver so it could blend in with the color.

Anything else I should ask about?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok... you got a few different questions...

First, on the tarp thing... that only really will work if you're leaving htem in there for very short time periods..... A parked vehicle will get hot in the sun no matter what you do to it... picture a cargo van.. no windows but on the 2 doors... leave it in the sun for 30 minutes and then open the back loading door... inferno.. there are a lot of other factors in heat gain with vehicles thatn just the glass... BUT.. the tarps will SLOW the heat gain (but not STOP)

Question 2: How dark you get tint is generally the consumers call, you go as dark as you feel you will be comfortable trying to look through (and will still be legal as well). If you'r wondering how dark to go on a sunroof... that's the wrong approach (but o.k. ~ only tinter's realize it :) )

~~~window films do not block more or less heat according to their darkness. Smoked 5% (limo) tint will not block any more heat than a light 35% film... what you need to look for if heat is your issue is actual construction of the film and not darkness. The best heat rejecting film are those with a heavy metalized composition ~ like films with a silvery/reflective appearance (not the black/smoke colored films)

#3 ~ Silver reflective film.. the film I know you are asking about does exist, it's called R20 and R35 (R20 is darker). R-series films are architectural films and are not designed to be applied to cars ~ and are also illegal for that use in all 50 states. If your state allows any reflective type of film at all ~ it would be a maximum of 20% visible light relectance. (some states allow no reflectance)

The R20 film is the stuff that looks like a bathroom mirror.. like chrome plated glass. It takes an VERY VERY long time to dry and does not stick very well to auto glass due to that it's adhesive is of a different type than that used in auto films. It also scratches easily since it does not have the good scratch resistant coating that automotive films have (house film don't need it, no one rolls home windows up and down 10 times a day into a gritty sandy window track!)

~~ but yes, you do see the film around on occasion ~ some people insist on it and some tinter's risk the HUGE fine and install it.

If you are interested in heat reduction I would suggest going with a SEMI-reflective film (such as Johnson ES series, Llumar Platinum Plus or Madico Kool Chrome). Those films will adhere well to the glass, last a very long time and reject a good amount of heat... but again... remember they only SLOW the heat gain, not stop it (if parked in the sun).

#4 ~~One thing about E's that you should ask a prospective tinter... the E door panels NEED to be popped off!!!! The window's dust seal has TWO dust seals to it (you see one), but the film if not tucked past the SECOND seal will eventually peel (not good). So, the rememdy is to pull the panel off ~ no big deal, it's just a few screws here and there.

also... ask the tinter if he's ever taken an E door apart before. Important... if it's the tinters first time at it, he'll break the the first door panel he does (on an E) ~ even I did it!! On the latch edge of the door, you see in the bottom corner of the window there is a triangular peice of plastic trim ~ that thing takes a certain move/gentle finesse to pop off... easy after the 1st time! It's just a weird part.... remind him that it breaks easy if not attentive and you should be ok (and if he breaks it... it's an easy fix with some super glue :shock: )

hope that helped

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Window Tint that was helpful. At this point I'm only going to do the sun roof and I'll ask about that SEMI-reflective film you mentioned.

I constantly monitor the temp in the car when I keep dogs there and park in the shade whenever possible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this is a bit much for most... but here's something I did for a hardcore dog afficianado a few years back... lol

Actually have done this install twice now... once on a Police SUV K9 unit and on another, this guy had an SUV that he carried around his two dogs with...

Pretty straight forward... I recall it cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $300/350...

(note* Automatic tranny needed for install)

Installed a temp sensor/gauge (standard version... used widely in car stereo and engines), then wired it into a relay which went to the security system and the remote start system

Basically, what would happen when the system was activated is, when the inside temperature reached a predetermined level, the windows would all roll down a few inches, the engine would start and run the A/C system. After about 45 seconds the windows would roll back up (rolling them down helped to vent hot air faster), and once the temperature dropped back below a pre-set level the motor would turn off.

If it was an extremely hot day, the trucks would/will run almost constantly of course maintaining the temperature. This system also works in reverse ~ heating the car in very cold conditions (it's basically just like your home automatic heat-a/c system)

A bit much for most I know ~ but it's a neat idea (I didn't think of it... was just the one asked to make it happen)

Totally automatic and extremely safe for the animals

(P.S. on autostart systems, the car can't be stolen... while the car is running on autostart, if someone puts the vehicle in gear and they don't have the correct key in the ignition, the motor will kill, the doors will lock and the vehicles alarm system will start to sound)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does anyone know the % of the factory tint :?: I would like to match the front windows to the rest of the windows. If it is 35%, how would I make all of the windows 20% :?: If I tint the front windows 20% and the rear windows are 35%, it would look bad. If I tint the front windows 20% and put more tint on the back windows, would the back look darker :?:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I tinted my front windows, and I wanted the same thing I used 20% and maches perfect. If you have ever tinted windows before it is a sinch on the E because of the flat glass. 8)

1 - 20 of 332 Posts