Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had good luck on this site with feedback and info when my beloved Element has needed care so I thought I'd try this again. {even my mechanic is reading it now} I've had her for 10 years now and lately I've been investing on a few things underneath the hood to keep her in good running order with 210,000 miles. So now it's time to fix the outside and give her a new windshield. After trying to repair the rock chip with a mobile local glass guy a few months back {who only made it worse} I'm now shopping for a glass shop. After reading some threads on this Forum I'm realizing there are good and not so good windshield repair shops and it's not something I want to gamble on. My questions are: should I find a shop that uses Honda replacement windshield glass or does that make a difference and also if anyone lives in the Portland/Salem Oregon area that may have a referral I would really appreciate it! I'm not planning on putting it through my insurance, with the estimated cost I've seen online it wouldn't be worth the trouble with my $500 deductible. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honda has never made any glass. They contract it out each year. There is a great chance that more than one other company made the windows in your E. Find a shop that does nice installs and let them use their glass. The install is the important part. Pilkington makes nice aftermarket glass, but the install is the important part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also need my windshield replaced. The third party shops I've spoken with all say they use OEM-equivalent quality, although I've read some reviews from people who say that non-Honda glass can have a bit of distortion. As mcfarton wrote, the distortion may be from poor installation...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I also need my windshield replaced. The third party shops I've spoken with all say they use OEM-equivalent quality, although I've read some reviews from people who say that non-Honda glass can have a bit of distortion. As mcfarton wrote, the distortion may be from poor installation...
Yeah, installation is key. I would ask for advise from a reputable body shop in your area. I have replaced window glass (not windshield) in my Element three times. Last time the guy replaced the window because it shattered and I had to intervene because he wanted to leave all the broken glass still left inside the passenger door.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The cost difference between oem and aftermarket is going to be a lot. It’s probably 3 or 4 times more expensive for the Honda labeled glass. I would make sure that they have all the replacement clips and side moldings if needed. Also make sure they replace and not reuse the upper molding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts