Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first problem I have had with my E since delivery (Feb '03). I recently had the windshield replaced due to a golf ball sized rock coming off a gravel truck. The glass company did a good job I thought, even removing and replacing my State Park sticker on the new windshield. But about a week later when washing it I found one side of the trim piece on the side of the windshield was loose. I removed it and reattached it securely after several tries. Later when I was going on a trip after about an hour of highway driving, the first since the windshield replacement, it flew off. I was able to retrieve it luckily. After another hour the other side flew off also, it had not been loose as far as I could tell, as I had checked it when I put the fist piece back on. The clips do not appear to be damaged but who knows? Any thoughts on this? is there a good technique for puting these trim pieces back on for good? The glass company doesn't seem to know it. Should I take it to the dealer? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
926 Posts
It seems that many, 3rd party, installers don't know how to remove the trim on the Elements windshield. They try to pry off the trim, like they do with the trim on other cars, thinking that it will easilly come unclipped. They then blame the trim as being a defective design. IT ISN'T DEFECTIVE IT IS DIFFERENT. It seams that this only leads to breaking the clips. What you need to do is unhook the trim at the top from the roof garnish and then slide the trim upward to unhook the A-Pillar trim. Then, when you replace the trim, from my understanding, you can just snap it back. Unlike other cars this trim is NOT to be pryed off.

If someone gets a broken windshield they should try and have their HONDA dealer replace it. If your dealer doesn't do windshield repairs, which many don't, and they refer you to a 3rd party, make sure you give the installer a copy of these instructions and point out that this trim does not get PRYED off. Maybe a phone and letter campaign to HONDA is in order. They should tell their dealers to contact their 3rd party contractors etc. and teach them the proper procedures. If HONDA Dealers are going to refuse to do the work they should assure that the people they are referring their customers to know how to properly remove this trim.

·
Registered
516 Posts
For what it's worth: I spoke with a glass guy who was doing someone else's car here. He said he's done quite a few E's personally, and he said to insist that the side mouldings and clips are replaced with new parts whenever the windsheild is replaced.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Re-reading your post I found it didn't go all the way in the direction I had thought. I guess I should have read it all first. If the trim doesn't look damaged, look at the clips in the frame. See that those are all intact as well. If you still have trouble it wouldn't hurt to take it to your dealer and have a service person look at them and make sure they are OK. In your case, it might just be that you are having trouble putting them back. I have read places in the past where installers had broken them and just glued them back.

Read the quoted posts anyways. Especially the first one where instructions are attached. It might give you a clue to reattaching the trim. I thought though, that it said to just push and snap the pieces back into place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, the links are helpful. I had tried a search without success. They definately didn't know what they were doing as there is a scratch next to each clip where they inserted a screwdriver to pry off the trim. I don't think the clips are broken but it is just a matter of getting them to snap back on and stay attached.

·
Registered
926 Posts
From the sounds of it there could be a possibility that while the clips look intact they could be cracked, damaged or deformed in some way that they don't hold. It could be that you need to replace those clips to make sure that they hook and hold properly. I would point out the problem that you are having to your dealer and to the person that installed the windshield. Point out the proper method for removal and the indication (Scratches) that indicate that the trim was removed improperly. I would push for the installer to either correct the problem by getting the parts and fixing it or have the dealer fix the trim and send the bill to the installer. You may not get it paid for but I would try, none the less.

I have not had any problem with my windshield yet, (knocking on wood), but I am glad that these topics caught my eye. Should I have a problem I would definately present print outs of the important parts of these posts to the installer to direct him to the proper procedures. This illustrates a problem that might exist when a manufacturer pursues an uncommon new method for assembly of their products. Mechanics and other service people who attempt to apply normal standard practices for installation of parts may go into jobs doing the wrong things and cause more damage in the end. Then they blame the part as being defective when it was really their procedures that were defective. My guess is that 3rd party installers like those who do windshields can't have manuals for every car out there on hand. Thus, unless specifically directed otherwise they just have to assume that the assembly is the same as what is standard. That is until they mess up their first Element and get called on it. Then they will have to learn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Windshield Trim Removal

Just want to confirm before I go do this and break something. Just getting aquainted with the Element - we've had it for a week.

I need to remove the piece that the red arrows point to:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=212950239&size=o

The windshield appears to have been changed, and this piece was put on wrong (too low - you can see the gap at the top where it meets the roof). I searched the board and found these instructions elsewhere on the site that seem to be referring to the same piece, but I'd like a quick confirmation that what I'm about to do is relatively safe:

"First remove the windshield side trim. Pull out the top end and you'll hear a pop. Then slide the trim straight up."

Is that accurate for this piece? If so, I will probably be able to "pop" the top of it, slide it into place, and snap it back down where it should be.

Also, check out the beautiful mess under the dash the dealer neglected to mention when we purchased our car (used):
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=212950240&context=photostream&size=l

:mad:

I asked them to clean it up under there and return it to stock. First they refused, then they appear to have cleaned it up. Unfortunately, none of the inside lights work now, though (fuses are OK).

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yep those directions sound accurate for removal of the trim piece.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Can it be moved now? I would think that the new windshield has somethng to do with the location. I think that the mounts are in the adhesive. I had my windshield replaced yesterday. I has had a crack for over a year and I did not want to replace it but the crack is getting worse and I now have more chips. So, it was replaced and now it fits like dodo. Moldings were not put back correctly, headliner has black marks on it and is deformed and the best is that the glass is crooked. I knew that I should have left it alone. Called the installers and waiting for a return call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
calvin13 said:
Can it be moved now? I would think that the new windshield has somethng to do with the location. I think that the mounts are in the adhesive. I had my windshield replaced yesterday. I has had a crack for over a year and I did not want to replace it but the crack is getting worse and I now have more chips. So, it was replaced and now it fits like dodo. Moldings were not put back correctly, headliner has black marks on it and is deformed and the best is that the glass is crooked. I knew that I should have left it alone. Called the installers and waiting for a return call.
It was not glued down. I lifted the top up slightly to get it over the two tabs on the gray piece it connects to, then pushed up from the bottom. It was a little tough, but it moved. Pushed back down on the top of the black trim (it has two tabs that go under the gray piece), then slid it a bit more until it was snug.

Took less than 3 minutes, but would have been even easier if the dealer hadn't soaked everything in Armor All.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Replacing windshield trim (left and right)

So about 1000 miles into my E journey and I got a cracked shield, which seems pretty common.

Well I had it replaced, and not there is a horrible rattling noise that only goes away when I press on the top of the windshield from inside...

I know the trim on the outside left and right sides have some strange 3 piece clips on them, where one clip goes on the car (green) another clip goes on the trim piece (gray) and then there is another piece (white) that holds those two together.

Well anyway.. besides the design being flawed. Has anyone had any experience with getting these to stop rattling? The "windshield repair guy" said that they are just hard to get right...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
"The Windshield Guy" is lazy and doesn't want to do his job. Thousands of windshields have been replaced on E's and it is possible "to get it right" if you know what you are doing, or are willing to learn. Ask him if he put on NEW clips or tried to re-use the old ones, that is usually their 1st mistake. You CANNOT reuse clips, you MUST use new ones - betcha he didn't (saved himself $5, created a potentially $500 problem). Tell him that when the two side trim pieces blow off on the hiway (and they will) he is gonna be buying you two new ones and paying for someone who "can get it right" the 1st time to install them. I'd be right back at his shop - or have him come back out ASAP - I love the so-called service people telling you that they can't do it right because it's too hard or too difficult - isn't that their JOB?

Bottom line - he goofed and it's HIS responsibility to keep working at it till he can fix it properly. If it was my car I would have insisted he keep it until he could fix it properly or refund the money. The bottom line---the job isn't done till the trim is re-installed properly - didn't rattle before, shouldn't rattle now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What is the process of putting these back together? I was messing around with them while the windshield "repair" man was going to get the 3rd shield (he cracked the 2nd one pulling it out).

Did you assemble the whole 3 piece clip onto the molding then mount to car?

Mount the green ones to the car assemble the two to the molding then combine?

You get the picture.

Thanks for the help.

I am always amazed at the things I can do with a car, and it takes a $2 clip to get me stumped :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Replace the CLIPS first.

Dom

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,897 Posts
Yep, every time one of those panels comes off (e.g. to replace a windshield), clips break. If the shop doesn't ensure that all the clips are good before reinstallation, you're likely to run into this scenario. Note that a while a new garnish includes a set of clips, the ones for the body side are sold separately.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are replacing clips mandatory? Anyone know the part number

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,897 Posts
> Are replacing clips mandatory?

Yes if they're broken, no if they're not!

> Anyone know the part number

Clip A, fr. side garnish, p/n 91521-SCV-A01 (also included with a new garnish)
Clip B, fr. side garnish, p/n 91519-SCV-A01 (two pieces, single part number)

Each side takes five sets of clips.

Installation instructions here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My passenger side A pillar rattled in the wind as well. I ordered replacement clips from Majestic (10 each piece) in ramblerdan's post and in a few minutes, fixed. Presto!

I dunno why the windshield repair shops don't replace 'em when they break 'em.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting... I too.. had a similar situation.
I had my windshield replaced right after I bought my car.. (dealership expense) .. my first long trip with my E was to be a trip from Oregon to California.. Disneylad for christmas.. whoot..
anyhow.. while driving. I kept hearing this freking tapping sound from the front of the car.. It really sounded like it was from the windshield but . nothing was loose.. or so it seemed.. When I stopped for stretching breaks I would do the normal walkaround the E.. nothing but dirt hahah.
well.. on the return.. while driving North on I-5 the tapping resumed.. just around Harris ranch area.. south of Sacramento etc.. damn.. well still driving north.. tap tap tap.. pshaaa.. then Nothing any longer.. well... hour or two go by and time to do the fill up.. hmmm. get to wash the windshield.. hahah and ohhh .. I found out.. what possibly was the tap.. augh... no garnish on the window..on passenger side.. hahaha. I stood there laughing.. .. . my SNL was soo confused.. till i said.. come here and look.. hahah. he was like ohhh my im soo sorry.... .. I just laughed.... my poor E.. has its first booboo..

well upon return to Portland.. I contacted the Honda dealership.. due to the Snow storm that occured here in Portland. the Honda warehouse had a accident and in the snow the roof to the warehouse collapsed.. so.. my part would have to be ordered... only a few days .. right.. well.. 3 weeks later the part has arrived..
I was quoted.. part + clips for $40 for part + $2 a clip x5 .. I gave them a quote that I found online.. and they matched. the price.. no questions.. that was $35 part and $1 a clip.. ..
Picked up the part yesterday.. a was only charged $32 for all.. whoot..

Now I am looking at it trying to figure out how to install it..
I figured out how to take off the old clips. and install the new clips.. but please.
can someone tell me how to put on the garnish onto the new clips..
is it a simple slide on? .. I dont wish to screw it up and lose this one on another drive hahaha.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts