Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take two weeks this winter and go backpacking with my dog. Does anybody have any suggestion? I am thinking about the North Georgia or Western North Carolina area. Looking to go about a 100 to 150 miles on a loop or about 60 on an out and back. Not really concerned about the weather. If there is snow then, oh well. Thank you for the suggestions and input.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If you've not done it before the AT in that area is awesome. It's a tad more involved on the southern end than say from the middle of NC on up through NoVa.

If you've got the basics of backpacking down, then you shouldn't have any problems. The bears aren't as bad through the area as they are out west.

No, I haven't been on the AT since the late 80's so yea, my experience is kinna dated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Can't pass on the AT, especially in the area of Hot Springs, NC to Tanyard Gap and beyond. Loads of great hiking, plenty of camping spots and those occasional "off-the-trail" evenings in a nice B&B or dive motel. Bluff Mountain is a great place to start...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shining Rock wilderness/ Cold Mt. FTW

Place is my favorite place to hike in the region. It's off the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. Lot's of "bald knobs" as they call them. Mountain tops without trees so you get a lot of great views. Friend is a photographer and I took him up there a few years ago and this is the result.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts