Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my E for less than a month and got a quick reminder that I'll need some winter gear for it.

E owners seem to be gearheads, so tell me whatcha got! :grin:

So far I have a long-handled Hoppy scraper/brush combo I used on my old Civic. I also have an old 16oz water bottle full of winter-grade washer fluid in case the reservoir runs dry.

I also had a square-bladed spade for digging in hard-packed or iced-over snow (had to dig my own street parking spots in grad school) but I think it's more shovel than I really need in the car. I'd like to find something lighter (and collapsible) to stash in the back.

On the fence re: snow chains/cables, but I'm tempted.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Don't really know of any advice about snow chains for your area but could prove handy if you do encounter a fair bit of snow in hilly areas.

A blanket is always good for extra warmth in case you find yourself stuck in traffic jams and need to conserve fuel.

I saw a great collapsing snow shovel at TJ Maxx a few weeks ago for $20 bucks. I need to get back over there and see if they still have it. Very light but sturdy, perfect to stash in the pack for those times when you need to clear some snow drifts.

Glad you have found the club.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,525 Posts
..... I also have an old 16oz water bottle full of winter-grade washer fluid in case the reservoir runs dry.

On the fence re: snow chains/cables, but I'm tempted.
One better (and probably cheaper) than washer fluid is just plain isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Less than $1 and doesn't freeze...... :roll:

I run with studded tires, so chains aren't an issue, but, I have a box with long underwear (not the wool ones, polypro's (fast drying)), heavy duty mittens, tow straps, and a wool blanket. Think that'd do me for a bit.... :razz::razz:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep a duffel full of supplies for search-and-rescue (food, ziploc bags, batteries, etc) so there's a lot that stays in year round.

Solid copy on isopropyl, but man it stinks when you actually use it! I think my washer fluid (bright orange Rain X) is cut with some iso.

The blanket is a good idea though. Waay cheaper than the OEM cargo cover (even though I'm sketching out a DIY cargo cover).

I found this Hinja shovel online for $30 and is kinda what I had in mind for a snow shovel ... anybody have any experience with it?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've got an aluminum shovel similar to that and it has been priceless. I too carry a lot of gear, EMT jump kit, recovery gear and cold weather survival. Among the top of my list are...
Water bottle with built in filter, I don't want beaver fever again.
Energy bars, they last forever and if they did expire you won't notice cause they taste like crap anyhow!
Several cheap fleece blankets since they are warm even when wet and they are cheap so if I don't get em back I don't care.
Two full sets of dry clothes, trousers, shirt, socks.
Thirty foot snatch strap and 3/4" shackles, always secure the strap and never ever use one with attached hooks, very dangerous.
E-tool or entrenching spade, in a pinch you can use it like a sand anchor for self extraction.
Half ton cable tugger, have used many times to pull my truck out of mud or old snow, slow and painful but better than walking home.
LED flashlight, batteries last forever and it is visible from over a mile away.
And don't forget TP or at least a fist full of McDonald's napkins, going #2 in the snow sucks enough without having to wipe with Rand McNally.
I carry a lot more stuff but ya get the idea.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Mins is close to the same but I have one of those vacuum packed down survival bags in there also as its only the size of a football and great when needed. Even here we have had people die in their cars from freezing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got a collapsible snow shovel and ice scraper/snow broom (both by Hoppy) from Auto Zone. $30 for both. Not too shabby. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts