Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 EX AWD MT, looking for some snow tires to go on old steel rims. ( New England ). I see General Altimax Arctic are very well rated, as well as Blizzak WS60's - but these are in 215-65-R16. What are implications of this lower profile, other than less ground clearance (which doesn't sound like a good thing in snow!)

The only winter tires I see in 215-70-16 are Firestone Winterforce. CR gives these OK review.

Now the TPMS - I have read the threads, and I do not want to spring for new sensors / programming. I look at my tires every day and I don't care about seeing the TPMS light on. Now, to my understanding, the motion control system will still work fine, and be able to be switched off and on? And, come spring, the computer will recognize the sensors in the alloy rims and TPMS light will go off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Tirerack lists 4 models in the 215/70/16 size: Bridgestone, Firestone (same company), Michelin, Perelli. Cooper has well regarded snowtires (also under their Mastercraft brand) in this size as well. The Bridgestone TA KO model in this size (AT category) also meets the
'severe snow service requirements (and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol),'

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I can personally recommend Firestone Winterforce tires in a 225/70/16 mounted on steel rims. That's what I'm running, and they're awesome.

TPMS....don't worry about it, Just put a piece of blue masking tape over the light. Check the thread I made about saving your money by skipping the TPMS sensor thing. Wish I would have.

I got the sensors in the wheels, just never coughed up the money to have them programmed to the car, and more than likely won't.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Firestone Winterforce for the win!!! I got to use mine yesterday and with the traction contol on and being a fwd, I could not loose traction. Also, I do not run tpms sensors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Avon Ice Rangers?

Does anyone have experience with the Avon Ice Rangers? They are available for $109 each mounted, not the cheapest but not the most expensive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I definitely recommend sizing up to 225

I did it on 07 and have never looked back. Buy good tires, the best you can afford. I just drove around in 22" of snow on unplowed roads with my two month old Triple Treads. The only problem was when I went fast enough to go up steep hills here in the WV mountains this dry snow would fly back on my windshield causing whiteout with zero visibility. The E did great. I would have made it with more ground clearance too, the deep snow created drag on the chassis/frame.

ET

·
Registered
122 Posts
put on Yokohama Geolandar GO72s on 2005 OEM rims on my 2008 GGM, picked up TPMS sensors while i was at it, and they're awesome!

I've only driven her about 2000kms so far, but these tires are quieter than the Badyears, and track much better.

I'll get pictures up soon, they're a pretty mean looking tire though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts