Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed an unused connector in the spare tire well for connected to another part of the harness. Is it for a trailer brake light connection? I have a 2006 LX AWD.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Is it for a trailer brake light connection? I have a 2006 LX AWD.
Yes. (Unless a previous owner has already done it)...you'll need to add the appropriate trailer wire harness kit to make it functional.

I'm mostly certain the '06 system is the same as the '05 system. I know its not the same as the '07 up.

Here is an old thread on the '05 installation.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
There are a bunch of threads, with Photo's that show the connector for the trailer harness. From your description, I would have to guess yes. However, without more specific information, I would be reluctant to give you a positive reply. I suggest you browse some of the threads on this topic, and see if the photo's look like what you have in your E.

That's the best answer I could give you.

Search.....

The search function is your friend!
A quick search revealed this thread !

Dom

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad I asked. Was going to have U-haul do the wiring install, but sounds like I'm better off installing the factory hookup myself.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another dumb question. Where can I get the best price on the factory setup? I'm sure my local dealer won't be it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
H&A wiring harness

+1 for H&A -- I've bought a ton of stuff from them over the years for our Accord and Element. They are a great company from my experiences, and very affordable for OEM stuff.

I bought the wiring harness from them in December along with a Class3 hitch from etrailer.com -- both of which are sitting here in my office untouched! The weather here hasn't cooperated so I've not been able to install either of them yet, but maybe this weekend we'll get out there. We bought a pop-up camper trailer in November and can't wait to take it out for it's maiden voyage, so we need to get the Element all wired up!

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Looked all over H & Sa site and didn't see it. Must have had the blinders on.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
It's on this page. Look at trailer hitch, next item under it.

Dom

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I looked at the site before your posting and didn't see it. Got it now, though, thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It seems that $120 is pretty darn expensive...for what I ask?
In the "old days" one would simply tap into the brake light lens wires, add a fuse and you're pretty much done.
I presume its because the tail light wiring circuit is too thin and cant handle the extra 7.5 amps?
Or is it just too make it look nice and tidy by adding the fuse to the underhood compartment? :)~

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
In the "old days" one would simply tap into the brake light lens wires, add a fuse and you're pretty much done.
I presume its because the tail light wiring circuit is too thin and cant handle the extra 7.5 amps?
Or is it just too make it look nice and tidy by adding the fuse to the underhood compartment? :)~

Obviously, You have not looked at the threads that discuss this in depth.

It's all about no splicing, an Isolation box, and warranty preservation!

Your solution ( although I have done that for years ) is not acceptable to me on the Element.

Dom

·
12,179 Posts

One way to look at it is by using the proper Honda kit you can avoid potential problems like what the OP has in this thread.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61419

The after market kit has yet to be proven as the culprit...But i would not be surprised if it was.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Take it from expensive experience, get the Honda harness and let the dealership install it - especially if you're talking about the two-part harness that runs from behind the driver's seat-to-wheel well, as well from the wheel well-to-hitch.

All told, our friend's Element was laid up for over two weeks and he's still fighting the local U-Haul dealership in regards to a $1300.00 electrical meltdown when the hitch-hangers fried his electrical installing their "approved" harness on his 2005.

There are dozens of nightmare posts on this forum in regards to folks using non-Honda harnesses or letting the U-Monkeys install their "tap-in" electrical connectors.

I consider myself pretty handy when it comes to basic wiring, but I also know when to holler "Uncle!"

I installed the eHitch on our '05, but I left the wiring to Honda when I read all the horror stories about the two-part harness install - sure, it cost me $85 for the labor, but Honda backs the components and installation...I promise you are not gonna get that from U-Haul...they fry it, you buy it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
honda wiring harness

We finally had a day to spend working on the hitch and wiring for our element and it all went very smoothly. We installed the OEM wiring harness from H&A and a class3 Hidden Hitch from etrailer. The directions for the wiring harness LOOK more complicated than it really is, and we appreciated how specific and clear each step of the process was. Start to finish, we installed the harness and hitch in about 3 hours -- not bad for total novices.

Yes, the Honda wiring is expensive compared to some aftermarket applications, but I thought it was totally worth it to NOT have to stress about something shorting out or causing problems down the road. It's all truly "plug and play" and there's no splicing involved. It all just clicks into place. Still, I can't help but feel like this is something that should have been done at the factory...particularly the section of wiring from the driver's seat to the dash. How much could that possibly add to the cost of manufacture for Honda just to do that on all of them? It seems silly to omit that section, but then include the section from the driver's seat to the tailgate.

All wired up and ready to tow our new pop-up camper!

Brian

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We finally had a day to spend working on the hitch and wiring for our element and it all went very smoothly. We installed the OEM wiring harness from H&A and a class3 Hidden Hitch from etrailer.
Could you post some pics of the hidden hitch? I'm interested in seeing how that looks.

I haven't bought one yet (too many other projects), but I did get my wire harness in the mail from H&A. I figure I'll get the hitch once it's all wired. I was still leaning towards the U-haul, but if the Hidden Hitch is more subtle, I might go that route. Price is about the same, except U-Haul will include installation.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Obviously, You have not looked at the threads that discuss this in depth.

It's all about no splicing, an Isolation box, and warranty preservation!

Your solution ( although I have done that for years ) is not acceptable to me on the Element.

Dom
You're right Dom I havent. I dont get on here often anymore :-(
I was looking for a summary from someone who had. Thanks for posting the main points!

In general, I've found many threads on this site to be a real PIA to read through as they stretch many pages and its hard to sift through the people who have auto knowledge and those that seem to just post to up their post count!

Anyone with any know how should be able to splice or tap a wire safely and I was just wondering if the Honda wiring is up to the task. (No I dont have a book with any schematics!) But ,I've noticed Honda seems to cut many corners and do the bare minimum and seem to think differently in their engineering then I'm used to with the Vette and other American or German cars so its always appreciate you "E"nthusiasts so I dont have to figure stuff out!

The isolation box seems a logical measure. :)

As for warranty preservation...thats always been a sore point with me as Honda is well known for scaring customers into using their overpriced service people and parts. This is evidenced by some posters fearing tackling it themselves despite some REALLY excellent instuctions at H and A I just read.
Overall, I wish everyone would get together individually or at "clinics" and install parts for fellow members rather than pay exorbitant Honda prices! I'd do it for trading skills, or some pizza and comradary!

·
Registered
282 Posts
We finally had a day to spend working on the hitch and wiring for our element and it all went very smoothly. We installed the OEM wiring harness from H&A and a class3 Hidden Hitch from etrailer. The directions for the wiring harness LOOK more complicated than it really is, and we appreciated how specific and clear each step of the process was. Start to finish, we installed the harness and hitch in about 3 hours -- not bad for total novices.

oooh! then maybe you can help me with mine?! i'm in elk grove! :D

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
The issue with trailer light connections is both simple and complex at the same time. I will contradict Dom.five's statement that Honda's wiring is not up to the task of merely spicing from the lights by telling you I did it on my Element seven years ago, regularly pull a trailer, and have never so much as burned a fuse. I've also added additional quartz halogen back up lights and "third" brake lights by merely tapping, with the same consistent no-problem results.

That said, I have no problems because all my trailers have separate amber turn signal lights, plus back up lights! Also note, I have never done Shen's infamous turn signal mod (which messes with the ground circuit in those lights), leading to direct failure in trailer light schemes which don't use the official Honda trailer pigtail. I added my own amber turn signal repeaters to my front fenders specifically to avoid that problem, and because I think they look great besides.

It's a tossup as to whether it cost me more to add the amber lights and wiring to my trailers vs. the cost of the Honda pigtail. BUT - you have to choose one approach or the other. You can't mix and match or be lazy about it.

I prefer the consistency of all my turn signal lights being amber, so as not to confuse the horde of moron drivers behind me. I also have absolute faith in my ability to perform reliable and safe 12 volt DC wiring. Lacking said ability, it's cheaper in the long run to have it done professionally.

I chose the additional turn signal lights for my trailers when auto makers first began adding "third" brake lights, separate amber turn signals and circuits in the first place, knowing I would be keeping my trailers for years beyond any car I had at the time. I also chose a scheme whereby the plugs on my trailers can also be used with vehicles that don't have separate brake and turn signal circuits because each trailer retains its original (cheap-ass) American combination tail-brake-turn signal lights.

Bottom line: If you choose to not invest in adding turn signal lights and wiring to a trailer, you had better not do Shen's turn signal mod, and you absolutely should use the Honda harness pigtail. If you don't know how to do this kind of wiring (and panel removal to get at it), be prepared to spend more to fix your mistakes than what it would have cost to have it done professionally in the first place.

This forum is great for information and hand-holding, but not very efficient at fixing a botched wiring job after the fact. Think hard before beginning to do a project like this yourself. I'm ashamed to have used the word "you" in this reply in a grammatically incorrect fashion, but it was much simpler to do so. However, please understand that "you" does not refer to anyone specifically in this thread; it simply refers to "any generic person".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts