Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. Nice to E here.

New to me 2011 EX - dog edition 4WD. She’s a sweet rig. A few mods so far.

2” HRG Lift
New Ball joints and front CV axles
New motor mount
235/70/R16 Yokohama Geolanders
Running boards
Bug Shield
Window Vent/shades
Dash cover
Counterproductive Rear Window Panels
Trailer Hitch
Wilco Solo rear tire mount (high clearance - enroute) extra full size spare
Rear SUV tent (Napier)
Jackery 1000 battery + solar panels
Cargo net (ceiling)
+1 callejero (street dog from exico)

All this = recipe for ADVENTURE!
She’s great.

Here’s the issue:
On acceleration there is a episodic wobble. Normally appears only on acceleration from 15 to 30 mph varying in intensity to subtle wobble to shaking the house down and afraid to “accelerate through it.” CV axles, ball joints, tires, alignment, etc done AFTER lift. After reading the forum feedback on similar issues and watching top-five Element issues on YouTube replaced the ball joints and front CV axles. Carrier bushing (?) on driveshaft inspected and appears to be fine - any other ideas out there guys? Preparing for Central America road trip and trying to preempt major issues.

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
440 Posts
Some people SWEAR by OEM axles... Just from the details in your post, I suspect the axles, especially if you put in aftermarket ones...

Some folks drop the engine/transaxle with spacers to help with the alignment of the CVs ...specifically for wobble on accel potential I think??

If you do much of anything, I might suggest another alignment... (I'm hoping you got the alignment "subscription" that will allow unlimited alignments over the next X years!)

The carrier bearing on the driveshaft to the rear dif should have little force on it normally... until the rear kicks in because of the front slipping...
But I like that you're envisioning potential issues... well done!

Brad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some people SWEAR by OEM axles... Just from the details in your post, I suspect the axles, especially if you put in aftermarket ones...

Some folks drop the engine/transaxle with spacers to help with the alignment of the CVs ...specifically for wobble on accel potential I think??

If you do much of anything, I might suggest another alignment... (I'm hoping you got the alignment "subscription" that will allow unlimited alignments over the next X years!)

The carrier bearing on the driveshaft to the rear dif should have little force on it normally... until the rear kicks in because of the front slipping...
But I like that you're envisioning potential issues... well done!

Brad
Thanks, Brad. CV and axles replaced yesterday and aligned again yesterday. Was wobbling before and after cv replacement. (We thought that would be it.) Basically issues is about the same as before. Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
217 Posts
Thanks, Brad. CV and axles replaced yesterday and aligned again yesterday. Was wobbling before and after cv replacement. (We thought that would be it.) Basically issues is about the same as before. Appreciate your thoughts.
new OEM axles?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Everyone. Nice to E here.

New to me 2011 EX - dog edition 4WD. She’s a sweet rig. A few mods so far.

2” HRG Lift
New Ball joints and front CV axles
New motor mount
235/70/R16 Yokohama Geolanders
Running boards
Bug Shield
Window Vent/shades
Dash cover
Counterproductive Rear Window Panels
Trailer Hitch
Wilco Solo rear tire mount (high clearance - enroute) extra full size spare
Rear SUV tent (Napier)
Jackery 1000 battery + solar panels
Cargo net (ceiling)
+1 callejero (street dog from exico)

All this = recipe for ADVENTURE!
She’s great.

Here’s the issue:
On acceleration there is a episodic wobble. Normally appears only on acceleration from 15 to 30 mph varying in intensity to subtle wobble to shaking the house down and afraid to “accelerate through it.” CV axles, ball joints, tires, alignment, etc done AFTER lift. After reading the forum feedback on similar issues and watching top-five Element issues on YouTube replaced the ball joints and front CV axles. Carrier bushing (?) on driveshaft inspected and appears to be fine - any other ideas out there guys? Preparing for Central America road trip and trying to preempt major issues.
Follow up: Honda CV Axles replaced (original equipment) wobble solved. Honda Service Manager suggested custom axles if anything is needed in future. She’s running strong and smooth now. Just returned from Colorado, Utah and Idaho. She’s a solid runner. Thanks everyone for writing in and suggestions.

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
217 Posts
Thanks for the follow up. Glad to hear she's been running well for a while now. Any pics of the E out on adventure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts