Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide if the Element would make a good work vehicle for me. Most of the time I don't really need truckness and the largest thing I haul is plywood (4'x8'). Most of the furniture I make looks like it would fit inside; if not a friend with a larger vehicle can help me make the delivery. Right now I have a small pickup and only use the bed once or twice a month. Has anyone hauled plywood, I know it'll stick out the back, or do I have to cajole the dealer into letting me test an Element with a sheet of wood (or maybe insulating foam.)?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, I don't have mine yet (still waiting for me at the dealer), but I've read on the board here that the tailgate plastic can be a little prone to damage, so if you plan to drag heavy objects out of the car you might want to get a rug or something to keep in there. Also, it's only about 8 inches longer than the VQ bug, so if you're carrying long pieces of wood you're definitely going to have it hanging out the back!

:)

Drew

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, i'm an interior designer, carpenter and painter. I have yet to try the 4x8
sheet but just today loaded for the first time a 6' ladder, several gallons of paint, 5 gallon buckets,and tool bags with my dog and room to spare AND with NONE of the seats removed. It is true that some of the plastic surfaces do scratch easily but who dosn't have some tarps around to drape and pad sensitive areas? Oh, and the dog pen bungeed to the roof rack.

MT

·
Registered
493 Posts
I can answer that for you. You can haul a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, but it will not lay flat and you will have to lay one seat down and fold the other one up to get it in. Tailgate width is not wide enough and it will definately hang out the back, not too bad, but use a red flag. Top tail gate will not close either.

Ger

"Flamer" E

·
Registered
914 Posts
You can always get a roof rack and tie it down on top. Don't go too fast though, you might take off :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody, I think the solution is to purchase the hitch option and get a small utility trailer. Then I can haul all kinds of shop materials as well as that occasional load of horse manure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Even before I got mine, I was thinking how perfect the E is for some types of work service vehicle. I can see how one might take out one rear seat and find a toolrack or toolbox to fit and have a lot of options as far as flexibility. But I think you've hit upon the best solution for hauling materials: ie. a small utility trailer. I note that Honda claims the E can handle up to 1500lbs total trailer & contents weight. That's actually quite a bit higher than I would've guessed. I don't think I'd want to push it that far. But a small utility trailer and a few sheets of plywood, or a reasonable load of mulch shouldn't be that big of a stress.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was just looking at these little trailers at home depot- Hum, so the work pretty good with the E?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts