Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a little more horsepower and gas mileage and I have heard mixed things about new intakes. I definitely do not want a cold air intake because if it gets wet it will mess up everything. I have heard from some people that short ram intakes do nothing and some claim that the 03 element does not have an air flow sensor and thus a new intake will not affect it. I thought that all elements have an air sensor and can be improved with a short ram. I need to know if this is true and also if I get a new intake, will I still need to replace the air cleaner on the stock intake?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yes it does have a sensor as all OBD2 systems have that and the CAI seems to add just a little bit to mine and water does not affect it. The good thing is you can clean the filter a lot without replacing it saving money. The bad is its noisy under a heavy throttle. The CAI has a hole to put the intake temp sensor into and the whole thing is a quick bolt on.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Spend the extra $ and buy a a full CAI, its effects are better, are generally quieter due to the longer track, and pull in colder air for better performance and gas mileage. If you want to get some cheap increases that are close to a Short Ram, just take off the stock resonator tube from the air box and buy a k&n filter, its gonna help, and it pulls the air from the engine bay like a SRI, I did that and noticed a difference in throttle response and a growl when in upper rpms, but when I ever have enough money, I will get a CAI.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I am convinced that a full cold air intake is the way to go. The only thing is that I live on long island and there is generally a decent amount of snow and the winters are cold. Will this be a problem for a cold air intake compared to short ram? Also, should I be safe and get a pre-filter or something to take an extra precaution? The only manufacturer that carries a full CAI system is AEM. Is this intake a good one to buy? I can probably get one for about $200 on ebay.
http://www.aemonly.com/air-intakes-1/honda-37/aem-cold-air-intake-for-honda-element-2003-2006-1182.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I gambled on the AEM cold air intake for my 2003 AWD auto Element and I can detect no performance improvement, just more noise. Before that, I saw a magazine article claiming significant torque increases from the Injen RD series cold air intake. Either they're really different, or they all exaggerate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

·
Registered
478 Posts
maybe you just crave MORE POWER!! then even an intake can offer.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So you get it....

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
:lol::lol::lol:

One more if you didn't get it.

YES!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ok, I am convinced that a full cold air intake is the way to go. The only thing is that I live on long island and there is generally a decent amount of snow and the winters are cold. Will this be a problem for a cold air intake compared to short ram? Also, should I be safe and get a pre-filter or something to take an extra precaution? The only manufacturer that carries a full CAI system is AEM. Is this intake a good one to buy? I can probably get one for about $200 on ebay.
http://www.aemonly.com/air-intakes-1/honda-37/aem-cold-air-intake-for-honda-element-2003-2006-1182.html
That AEM intake seems to have a bypass valve on it(the black circle around the piping closer to the filter. In case the filter is submerged while driving through a big puddle or whathaveyou, it opens up and prevents water from being sucked into the engine. Winter is no problem for a CAI!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Something you and others may want to think about if you plan on going with a Cold air intake,it is that whenever the air filter needs to be cleaned,you need to pull your front bumper off just to access it. Even though it's not difficult,or very time consuming to do so,it might be a concern to some people.Also,with the filter hidden you can't really monitor it and take notice as to when it needs cleaning. I had a cold air intake kit on my E' before my current K&N Typhoon intake kit and the difference between the two was minimal,it was mainly a difference in sound,not actual performance. So personally I really like a S.R.I. kit's over the cold air kits,because I like to monitor the condition of my filter for cleanings,the fact that I don't have to remove my bumper everytime a filter cleaning is due and last I don't really have to worry about injesting water into my engine.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts