Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I am a previous E owner (2003 EX) and EOC member though the email I used is long since gone so I couldn't recover my username :-/

I've been without an Element since 2011. Have another daily driver vehicle (2018) and would just like a cheaper E to tool around in and work on since I loved my previous one. There's a 2004 EX MT with 205,000 miles available close to me (Northern Virginia). It's listed for $3995 but I could probably get it down a little from there.

Swung by and took a look after hours (it was unlocked) and for a 16-year old E it's not too bad. Paint and body is in good shape. Rust-wise I see some moderate on the inside of the back bumper though not out of line for the age and the rear brakes looked like rust central. History-wise it's been in this area all of its life. Didn't see anything consistent with previous paint work and the plastic panels are good except the front bumper has a small gash. The rest of it was in decent shape with the most common things for used Es- missing driver adjustment knob, light cracking on driver seat (though honestly not too bad) and the interior is consistent with age.

Of course I didn't get a chance to hear the engine and to drive it but just wondering if this is even something bothering with or should I look for something in a warmer climate? I like the idea of the MT as I have has several sticks throughout my vehicles and they're just fun to drive.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
986 Posts
Welcome back SavedByZero117! :)

The price sounds reasonable. Manual transmissions are a lot harder to find, and if that is what you really want, this one has that in it's favor.

A good set of maintenance records is also a real plus. Without records, you have to assume the worst and begin with changing all of the fluids, usual wear items, and so forth.

Pay close attention to the clutch when you test drive it. If anything is out of line there, it's an expensive job to replace it and is usually more that the average DIYer can do in his driveway.

Definitely get it up on a lift and do a thorough inspection of the underbody (wheels off, etc.). And check everywhere for rust; that would be a deal breaker. And make sure the A/C is working well, as that is perhaps the most expensive part to repair.

If everything checks out, don't be scared off by the 205K miles. Work the seller for the best price, and take it home!

But if it is going to need a lot of attention and $ thrown at it before you can even drive it daily, you may be better continuing your search.

Let us know how it works out for you. I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I see duct tape and immediately look to run the other way ... only still considering because the body is decent. But seems really shady ...

How much to replace CV Axle typically?

IMG_20200715_203749.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts