Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only 17 right now so I've never owned a car. People are saying a lot of great things about the E. plus I'm in love with it too. But does anyone think that I should get a used car for my first vehicle or the Element for my first one?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Possibly. Answer for yourself some questions like:

1. How good a driver are you? And do you have a need to speed or show off?

2. Can you afford the insurance required? If financing, you will probably need full coverage. Avoid those cheesey companies with the corny TV commercials. If living at home, you can probably get a discount by using your parents' insurance company.

3. Consider the full cost of ownership. Don't forget tax, and then the yearly registration renewal. If you live where registration costs are ridiculous like here in CA, you might be surprised what it will cost you next year (probably over $400). If in a state like NM, the cost is extremely low, unless it changed since I moved from there.

4. ....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Element a good first car? Tough question.

With any decision there are trade-offs. Here is may experience:

I got my first car after graduating from college. It was a 1983 Honda Accord hatchback - a great car - 5 star crash ratings and everything.

Because it was such a good car, whenever I test drove another car, I would have to walk back to my car, sit in the Accord and drive a away. Forcing the comparison each time made me wonder, "Can't these people just build something as good as a 1983 Accord? Is that too much to ask?"

I kept the car for 17 years... ah hum... How old are you?... anyway...

If you want to keep just one vehicle for as long as your entire life including the terrible twos, nursery school, kindergarden, fifth grade, seventh grade, nineth grade, and senior year in High School...

buy an Element.

Otherwise buy some other vehicle, used. It does not make sense to buy anything else new.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm...Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll have to see what the insurance is like in my area as well as registration. And I do hope that I have my car for a long time, since a car is a pretty big investment for someone my age.
I guess I'll have to see what else is out there and make a decision.

Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As I think about it more, I do think that this would be a good investment for someone your age. It's a fun, utilitarian vehicle. Think about the versatility of the Element. A roomy passenger vehicle, lots of cargo room, can handle some off road activities, and give you safety in handling in bad weather. Regarding that last item, no matter where you live I am a strong supporter of AWD or full time 4WD vehicles. Consider the 4WD, since it's really a front wheel drive that becomes 4WD only when needed.

And if you can swing the added cost of the EX, this vehicle will really last you, since it has lots of added ammenities as well as more safety features like ABS and EBD.

In the last year, I've looked at most all of the small SUV vehicles to replace my Ford Ranger. Nothing was right for me, providing decent gas mileage, comfortable seating for all paseengers, and utility. If you get one or two of those, the other isn't there. I looked at the Subaru Forrester (AWESOME vehicle if you want a wagon style), Escape, Liberty, XC-90, RAV 4, many others. The Element suited my needs best--even when I saw Honda's web page on it 6 months before it was released!

If you get an Element & take care of it, I think you'll have a vehicle to last you through college or whatever you pursue. Couldn't hurt to see what they release in the 2004 model, if you can wait. If you can't wait, the 2003 is an excellent vehicle for which I have no purchase regrets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are 17 and wondering if the E is a good first car? My first car was a 1969 Ford 4 dr sedan with lots of rust and body damage so I do not qualify to answer that question. It lasted less than 6 mos before it died. I got a DWI and had to resort to a bicycle for a while anyway.
Message- Be careful, kid.

·
Registered
914 Posts
This is my first new car. Had a Mazda P.O.S. and a isuzu truck. Love my E, i think this is the perfect new car. Its easy to clean, and you just want to clean your car all the time. It instills good car habits also.

·
Registered
155 Posts
was a 1962 Pontiac Le Mans. I paid $100 bucks for it. It had been painted with house paint. That was grey paint over a black car. The paint was peeling off in long strips. I called it The Leper.

I sold that car 4 years later for $100 bucks.
Point of the story?
If you can get a nice new car - go for it. I could never get my kids brand new cars, but did try to get them decent ones. Although they might argue that point.

Yes, get that car, and drive carefully!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Of course it is a great first car!! It offers excellent reliability and modern safety features. Mine was a '72 Cutlass with brakes that were burning up and home-made white racing stripes! Man I loved that piece of crap!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great first car--as long as you realize every car afterwards will have to live up to the first and the Element is going to be hard to beat.

My first was a 1965 Datsun 411PL, couldn't tell teh difference between the front end or the back. My next car was after I graduated college and I bought a brand new Honda Civic sedan with CVCC engine and I drove it for seven years. Then I strayed, Jaguar, Jeep, Suburban, Subaru and more, none of whom really fit what I wanted.

Ask me again in 10 years and we'll know if the Element makes the top of the list, but its already got a head start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great first car--as long as you realize every car afterwards will have to live up to the first and the Element is going to be hard to beat.

My first was a 1965 Datsun 411PL, couldn't tell teh difference between the front end or the back. My next car was after I graduated college and I bought a brand new Honda Civic sedan with CVCC engine and I drove it for seven years. Then I strayed, Jaguar, Jeep, Suburban, Subaru and more, none of whom really fit what I wanted.

Ask me again in 10 years and we'll know if the Element makes the top of the list, but its already got a head start.
Hey, did it make it? its been about 17 years now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts