Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

I need a UHF antenna in my car and i'm wondering if this would fit above the headliner. I guess it could be made out of any thickness of wood. Does anyone now the exact amount of clearance between the headliner and roof?
TIA

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I actually built one of these. It works as advertised but mine kept falling apart where you screw the V-shaped coat hangers get screwed together to those other pieces, behind the washer. I didn't bother with the screen mesh behind but it does help pull in the signal. I was going to build the double version of this but I found the commercial version on Amazon and figured the 80 bucks was worth it just for my time to build it and collect the various parts. The whole thing is much thicker than you assume. I just used a 1X3 but in the video they used a 2X4 turned on it's side. That's roughly 4" deep. The one I bought is close to 4" deep also. If you want to build one for the E this is not the design for you but I have seen others that may.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking of using a 2x2 and painting or covering the hangers in something so they don't make contact to the roof and short the antenna. I'll have to think on it and pull the headliner down to see what kind of room I have.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've read on a camper forum that several people have made this and it works well....as far as it fitting between the headliner and the roof skin, I have my doubts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts