Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to see this in our trip to Lake Louise Banff and just wonderin if this would look good in th E....

Any opinions....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
No. I'm not sure it looks good on that van, though it's not bad. But, the Element's roof line is curved. We think of the E as boxy, but there's more curvature on the roof than most other SUVs. I can imagine mounting a roll out awning like that on the E's roof rack (or with the same brackets) but it would project back and forward a lot.

I think the Kelty Carport is about the closest you are going to come to this type of awning. Check my pbase gallery for pictures of this and other awnings.

I'm planning a trip up to Jasper and Banff next month. I'll probably take a Noah12 4 pt wing tarp to rig of the camp table, and a MSR Vista 7pt wing to rig over the side of the E if camp configuration allows.

·
Registered
669 Posts
lol. You could carry along a projector and watch movies on it after sun goes down.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
When thinking about side awnings like this, ask what's its primary purpose.

If it is sun protection, almost any surface will due - except if the wind picks up. But for rain, you have to think about water drainage. I've had drainage problems with the Kelty Carport. Parts of it are nearly horizontal when mounted on the Element in leanto fashion.

The outer ends of the Carport can be raised on poles, giving more headroom. That also eliminates some of the drainage problems - but creates others. Now some water drains toward the Element. At the moment I have a Carport rigged over my back patio at home. As sun shade it worked well, but the last few days we've had rain. I'm encountering those sorts of drainage problems.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
roof mounted bazooka, cool!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The Kelty Carport works great as long as you follow 2 simple rules. We have experience. It usually rains on us here in the northeast.

1. Make sure the roof attachment is past the plastic trim. This way the rain runs down the roof not the sides. Haven't had any problems with rain coming in with the doors open.

2. With the outer ends raised attach a tent pole to the roof attachment then attach to roof rack. I know cos the first time with this set up it rained a lot over night, water pooled by the doors & I couldn't open them. Ramblerdan had used this setup which gives extra support to both ends eliminating water pooling.

I still have an awning from my 86 chevy van. If someone could come up with a safe way to drive with it that would be awesome.

Gaily

1 - 7 of 7 Posts