Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I could use some advice.

I'm trying to decide on several Elements, one of which has 200,000 miles for $4500, others which have 150 or 160k miles for $4500-5000

Do you guys think the high mileage is an issue?

im' not sure how to evaluate mileage. If a car is well taken care of, does high mileage on the engine still just mean imminent breakdown?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The only way to be sure is to have an independent garage do a "pre-purchase inspection". Without that you are buying a "pig in a poke".

Actually, on an older high mileage car, I would worry more about things like brakes, suspension (struts & bushings), cooling system components, heat & AC, transmission etc... than I would the engine.

·
Registered
861 Posts
High mileage affects ALL cars!!! I would not buy one >200k unless I was a mechanic, and I'm not, so I wouldn't buy one. If you are extremely handy with cars, or you can get it thoroughly inspected.. this is the way to go. Many have positive experiences buying higher mileage elements, but they did it smart! A 200k car can be well cared for during its life, or it could have been heavily abused and neglected. The question is, CAN YOU TELL?!

200,000 miles for $4500, others which have 150 or 160k miles for $4500-5000
This is a no-brainer!!! Go the lower mileage, granted every thing else is equal.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,096 Posts
I would not buy any vehicle with 200k for that kind of money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The only way to be sure is to have an independent garage do a "pre-purchase inspection". Without that you are buying a "pig in a poke".

Actually, on an older high mileage car, I would worry more about things like brakes, suspension (struts & bushings), cooling system components, heat & AC, transmission etc... than I would the engine.
I would buy it, if like GaryS said it checks out from an independent inspection. I think these cars are very reliable, and you can have just about everypart replaced if it needs to be repaired. I would expect the inspection to show something that will need replaced, so maybe you're can negotiate with the seller to lower the price some to help pay for what ever is found. I had my local honda dealer inspect mine that I puchesed from Carmax (114k miles). They found several things that needed replaced, mostly suspension bushings and a recommended valve job due to the mileage at the time. At least that way you know exactly what you are getting into if you purchase the car.
Best of luck,
KSE

·
Registered
21 Posts
# of miles never really has affected me in buying vehicles, between my dad and I we've had plenty of vehicles 150,000-200,000+ miles but we usually fix our own stuff when it breaks. Didn't hesitate about mileage when I bought my '04 a couple weeks ago at 156,000 miles. It really is all how it has been taken care of and driven and a good inspection will show evidence of that. Don't expect them to be perfect but don't let miles deter you away from buying one either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm looking at a 2006 EX-P and the only thing that worries me is that it has 128,000 miles on it, 16,000 more than the vehicle I have now.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX AWD
619 Posts
Locksmith should chime in as he has many many miles on his E. He has a whole fleet of them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I went with a more expensive lower mileage Element with 126000 ($8400) and couldn't be happier. Only thing I needed done was oil and brakes so I should be set for a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2005 EX AWD. I bought it with 147k on it for $4500 and a clean Carfax.

I love the car and it runs like a top. That being said, I would get the one with the lowest mileage that you can afford.

·
Registered
91 Posts
change the trans and rear diff fluid also. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a element with 200,000 miles on it if I was in the market. im actually going to be purchasing a 2007 crv with 103k on it this week for my wife. no worries whatsoever.

we currently have 155k on our element. we purchased it with 70k. it had been nothing but super reliable and low maintenance.

I also bought a 92 accord with 378k on it 5 years ago. drove it for a while, gave it to my brother, it now has 455k on it. heater core just started leaking... but it still runs like a top.

I would never hesitate buying a high mileage, well maintained Honda.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If maintained well, and maybe even if not maintained well, Honda Elements are easy to maintain and reliable. I bought my 2006 new and have 170K on it. Tires and Brakes, also a number of window regulators. Keep up on you're oil changes. This is the best car I've ever owned by a long shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would buy if it's from a private owner with service records.

Stay away from dealerships if buying 200k plus because you never know the true history especially unreported accidents, mileage, etc

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX AWD
619 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I went with a more expensive lower mileage Element with 126000 ($8400) and couldn't be happier. Only thing I needed done was oil and brakes so I should be set for a while.

So let's now see the pics. Pictures. Pictures, pictures or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for an element myself and not really sure as to what sort of mileage would be too high. It doesn't help that family members freak any time I've shown interest towards one with more than 50k or so.

I found a 2008 with everything I'd ever want on one of these (4WD, tow hitch, roof rails, etc...) but it is also sporting 115k miles for a second owner. Based on what I've read here, it sounds like most here wouldn't think twice about the 115k, especially considering the current owner seems to have kept all service records and had recent maintenance done?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Looking for an element myself and not really sure as to what sort of mileage would be too high. It doesn't help that family members freak any time I've shown interest towards one with more than 50k or so.

I found a 2008 with everything I'd ever want on one of these (4WD, tow hitch, roof rails, etc...) but it is also sporting 115k miles for a second owner. Based on what I've read here, it sounds like most here wouldn't think twice about the 115k, especially considering the current owner seems to have kept all service records and had recent maintenance done?
See post 2 above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
265k on my 06' and still running strong. Bought it new. New clutch at 220k and new alternator at 180k other than that only preventive maintenance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts