Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello EOC members-

I'm new to the E scene and i'm thinking of selling my Honda Civic HX to get the E just for functionality sake.

I test drove an E today, '03 EX with AWD, green with all the trimmings. It was Auto and I dont really care for that. (Prefer a manual, but i'm selling the HX because it's a manual and my wife doesn't like it) .

Todays test drive was good. There was no weird noises coming from the engine, AC blew hard, mechanically, it looks sound. From the looks of my initial search, it looks like the E is now with a Timing Chain? correct me if i'm wrong..

However, there were some flaws that i found and I wanted to ask what everyone's advice is on here. (some of these are just things i noticed)

1) Tires going bald (1 needs replacement, the other 3 are okay for another 20k or so)
2) Interior plastic had a lot of scratches here and there(probably from the owner having a dog)
3) Windshield is cracked (looks like it's a common issue on the 03 and 04s)
4) Driver seat is starting to tear (another common issue)
5) Opening the passenger door leads to a weird creaking noise.

Since there are some things that need to be fixed (mostly maintenance), how much would you offer ?

Advise needed,
Thanks
kit:)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Seats, windshield, scratches are all common and expected with a higher mileage E.

Yes the K series 2.4 has a timing chain. Will need spark plugs at 110K plus a valve adjustment. Bulletproof motor otherwise.

Check the hinges- may need some lube-or the door was damaged and repaired.

The tires--probably needs new struts front and rear, plus a complete alignment.Doubt they have been replaced yet- so with a strut job ($800 to $1600 depending on where and who) and new tires $400 to $600 for good ones-that $9000 isn't looking to be such a great deal.

If you came from a stick and must have an auto E- I'd opt for an 07 with the 5 speed auto. Way more $$$'s than an 03-but in the long run you will be much happier.

Sounds as if the owner is selling or traded this E in to avoid a bunch of maintenance/repair items.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The price will vary from one part of the U.S. to another. You did not tell us what part you are from. So it's tough to give you an accurate assessment of your local pricing.

In this part of the country, an 03 E sells for some place around 5,700, to 6,500$. Depending on condition. That's high for a 7 year old car. However, People pay it readily.

As for the issues you sited, they should be fixed before you take delivery.

At least the tires, and windshield. I would not take the car without those items being fixed.

Dom

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
Just curious to know where you're located. I'm in the process of trying to sell my '04 SOP. My aksing price may be a bit high (but negotiable). I've posted describing everything I have in it (and only 50K miles).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning folks-

Thanks for the very helpful responses thus far. That gives me some leway to negiociate the price.

Forgot to mention that I live in San Francisco, CA so the prices around here are much higher.. KBB has mentioned that the value of this car should be in the range of 8200 - 9300.

Current owner says they have about 6 cars and selling one since they have a new kid.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that the brakes were squeaking softly during the test drive braking..

On the other hand, there is another element for sale nearby with only 53k, 2003 DX auto and single owner, and they are asking for $9500.. i'll have to check that out today.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My '03 Element EX AWD 5MT was $9,000 in southern New Hampshire. It's in immaculate condition for 6 year old car, with only a tiny ding above the back window and a small dent in the rear bumper. Transmission is perfect - the previous owner definitely babied this car...I'm a lucky man.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it only had 89,000 miles on it when I bought it. Already up to 93,000, in only two months:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
What the others have said pretty much covered it, but you do live in a higher priced area. There are a ton of E's here in the PNW, and we bought our '03 SOP last Sept for $10K w/72K miles. Remember that the AWD is going to need all four of those tires replaced together. I could not speak for the struts. Also, remember that from what you said about the second potential E is the even more spartan version (not that there are a lot of bells and whistles to begin with) so make sure you are taking all that into account.

Good luck on your search - as I have stated in other posts, I looked (and waited) for a little over two years looking for exactly what I wanted. Life is too short to drive cars you do not enjoy, and I've done too much of that already. Besides, everyone on here knows the SOP are the sexiest and fastest. They may disagree, but deep down they know the truth.

CoolE'sRule!

jeff

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wouldn't

That is about half of what a lot of people have been picking up new 08's for lately. I wouldn't pay it.

Assuming the 03 E does last until 200,000 miles or more (which it very well may) the first 100,000 are the new nice maintence free miles. The next 100,000 are bound to be rougher all the way around.

+ The older transmission gearing and refinements that have been made over the years.

With that said it often amazes me how much people pay for used cars with high milage that may blow at anytime:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the second E was already sold.. damn.. found someone nearby that is selling OEM rims and tires in pretty new condition on Craigslist for about $450 ... i'll probably make on offer on the E or just sit on the next one to show up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious to know where you're located. I'm in the process of trying to sell my '04 SOP. My aksing price may be a bit high (but negotiable). I've posted describing everything I have in it (and only 50K miles).
I might be interested in what you have. Send me a PM or link with your ads

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kit,

Last December I traded in an immaculate 2005 EX Auto, with 78,000 miles, for $9500 (Which was the best offer by more than $500). Just to avoid getting scammed by a dealership, I would have happily sold my car outright for $10,000. I think you can do better for that price, and I would recommend going with a newer model year (2005+)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kit,

Last December I traded in an immaculate 2005 EX Auto, with 78,000 miles, for $9500 (Which was the best offer by more than $500). Just to avoid getting scammed by a dealership, I would have happily sold my car outright for $10,000. I think you can do better for that price, and I would recommend going with a newer model year (2005+)

Is there a lot of difference between the 2005+ modes compared to the 03-04 ones? Someone just posted another E on craiglist for $9k it's an 04 with 95k and the ad said it's well kept. Only minus right now is I'm not a fan of the blue color.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I might be interested in what you have. Send me a PM or link with your ads
You won't find a better cared for Element anywhere than The Rubes..........

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
You won't find a better cared for Element anywhere than The Rubes..........
Hey Thanks O - Its nice when people notice how I've taken care of my E. I take a lot of pride in it (as most of us do). Only wish I could find that right person to take it off my hands. Its been rough trying to sell it but I'm not giving up. Still enjoy washing it and shining it up, then going for a drive with all the windows, moon roof open. I've been watching more DVD's lately. Go figure - I'm trying to sell it and at the same time I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Goes to show you the power of "The Rube". . . . . . . . . :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys-

I have an update.. the 2004 E that I was going to look at today had a really bad carfax (not actual millage). and 3 owners.. lame.

There was another ad today that was a 2005 E EX AWD asking for $9500 . 106k miles, but from the pictures, it looks brand well kept. Carfax showed one owner. AND it's SOP color (YES!)

I'll be checking it out tomorrow and making an offer if it looks good. (I have high hopes).

Actually, several of you guys were mentioning that they prefer 2005+ models. Just curious what were the refinements that made you guys say that?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys-

I have an update.. the 2004 E that I was going to look at today had a really bad carfax (not actual millage). and 3 owners.. lame.

There was another ad today that was a 2005 E EX AWD asking for $9500 . 106k miles, but from the pictures, it looks brand well kept. Carfax showed one owner. AND it's SOP color (YES!)

I'll be checking it out tomorrow and making an offer if it looks good. (I have high hopes).

Actually, several of you guys were mentioning that they prefer 2005+ models. Just curious what were the refinements that made you guys say that?
Argh, looks like the 2005 E i offered to buy at asking price sold for $11k .. :p .. gotta keep being patient! :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
I went to KBB.com and did a search of 100 mile radius of 94040 for elements $14,000 and under and got a list of 22, many under 12k. Try them, cars.com and other auto sites. I think you will find you a good one. the one listed seems not to be all that clean.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Seats, windshield, scratches are all common and expected with a higher mileage E.

Yes the K series 2.4 has a timing chain. Will need spark plugs at 110K plus a valve adjustment. Bulletproof motor otherwise.

Check the hinges- may need some lube-or the door was damaged and repaired.

The tires--probably needs new struts front and rear, plus a complete alignment.Doubt they have been replaced yet- so with a strut job ($800 to $1600 depending on where and who) and new tires $400 to $600 for good ones-that $9000 isn't looking to be such a great deal.

If you came from a stick and must have an auto E- I'd opt for an 07 with the 5 speed auto. Way more $$$'s than an 03-but in the long run you will be much happier.

Sounds as if the owner is selling or traded this E in to avoid a bunch of maintenance/repair items.
? timing chain:confused:... we just hit 100K in ours and did full tune-up which included serpentine belt... no mention of timing chain! Question: if it's a chain, does it need to be replaced or tightened over time? TIA.

OH, and not to jack the thread with selfish questions.... we got our Auto '04 EX AWD w/55K exactly 2 years ago for $12K w/every factory option and an extra set of steelies w/mounted winter tires. hope this helps and good luck finding your E. You wont be disappointed if you find one that was well maintained. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
? timing chain:confused:... we just hit 100K in ours and did full tune-up which included serpentine belt... no mention of timing chain! Question: if it's a chain, does it need to be replaced or tightened over time? TIA.
Hey, dont think there is a replacement of the timing chain to do.

OH, and not to jack the thread with selfish questions.... we got our Auto '04 EX AWD w/55K exactly 2 years ago for $12K w/every factory option and an extra set of steelies w/mounted winter tires. hope this helps and good luck finding your E. You wont be disappointed if you find one that was well maintained. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm well well well, looking for one now. I've just sold my Civic a few hours ago so I'm eager to get an E now to replace it.. I miss the Civic already :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm well well well, looking for one now. I've just sold my Civic a few hours ago so I'm eager to get an E now to replace it.. I miss the Civic already :(
I'm familiar with the adds for both of the E's you mentioned. So in a round about way thanks for saving me 3+ hours driving time of going to look at them.

If you're willing to look at a DX there's a guy in Daly City that has an 03 Manual AWD with 69k miles on it. He's asking $9800 I believe. I can't find the craigslist add to link you, but if you're interested PM me and I can send you his contact information.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts