Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed tiny blue to aquamarine specs in my E's black paint. Very subtle and very pretty. It was in direct sun and I had to look at it just right- but there is no mistake once you see it. Felt odd that I've had the E for 5 months and this was the first time I've noticed. Check it out if you have a black E and are "in the dark" like I was.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That must be the "Nighthawk" part of the color.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Interesting... black isn't "just black". More than anything else this is making me reconsider getting into another Honda.

The biggest gripe I had with my previous three Hondas was the paint. Aside from the fading and oxidation problems (early Hondas were notorious for this), even colors that didn't visibly fade were impossible to match after dent repairs. I had a mid-'80's Accord that was a patchwork of three or four different shades because nobody could get it right.

Maybe things are different now with computer color matching, but these almost-invisible little blue flakes are the kind of thing which give body shops the shivers in matching color after-the-fact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MikeQBF-I hadn't given your point about color matching a thought. I have a small bottle of touch up paint- but wonder if it is available in larger quantities for painters. Anybody know?

Noticed today that the blue specs are not visible under cloudy skies. I think full sun needs to hit the finish for the blue specs to appear.

I also have noticed a "dimple" effect in the paint. Sure ain't Earl Schibe!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Oh, no doubt that you can get the paint from Honda. But my edu-guess is that most body shops won't pay the premium and will instead go to their matching service for their preferred brand. Auto paints are pretty complicated; if your equipment is setup to favor a brand and formulation, you like to keep it that way.

I guess on the plus side, the paint matches these days are darned good, with both the manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers singing from the same paint-code songbook. Maybe I shouldn't be concerned.

You can't help but get a little bit of "orange peel" on most factory paint jobs. While the newer paint application technologies have really reduced this, the only way to avoid it completely is by buffing between every coat. Yeah, like that's going to happen. :?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:65eb81bc51="CTAuggie"]The other day I noticed tiny blue to aquamarine specs in my E's black paint. Very subtle and very pretty. It was in direct sun and I had to look at it just right- but there is no mistake once you see it. Felt odd that I've had the E for 5 months and this was the first time I've noticed. Check it out if you have a black E and are "in the dark" like I was.[/quote:65eb81bc51]

I wonder if the paint specs makes the vehicle more slightly more noticable when headlights hit it (say, when disabled on the side of the road)?

-brendan

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:2c4e90605e="Cloak"]That must be the "Nighthawk" part of the color.[/quote:2c4e90605e]

Actually, it's the "pearl" part of the color.

·
Registered
42 Posts
took me a few months to notice the fleck too(delivered Jan 24) Two things bug me though, why can't they use the same colour primer as the paint. I got white freakin' primer that really shows the stone chips and second when you're touching up, you have to shake the s... out of the touch up to get the flake/pearl distributed on the chip. Otherwise you get solid black.

Gotta agree with some of the posts though, Honda paint isn't the same quality as the rest of their car.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's my understanding that some pearlescent colors require a light colored base coat in order to look, well, pearlescent.

Perhaps this is the reason for the white primer you mention.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
[quote:21c75096c0="eMass"]It's my understanding that some pearlescent colors require a light colored base coat in order to look, well, pearlescent.

Perhaps this is the reason for the white primer you mention.[/quote:21c75096c0]
Bingo. "Deep" colors are actually transparent, and the base coat (sometimes separate from the primer, sometimes integrated) is what contributes to the "depth". If all of the color you saw was on the surface of the paint film it would look pretty much like flat-finish house paint. Yuck. :p

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Aside from the fading
How true is the fading....my husband's 1990 Civic which has spent the majority of the last almost 14 years here in St. Louis which was charcoal is now a muddy brown color....we fondly refer to it as "Muddy Waters"

For me this was one reason why I did not purchase a NBP....but to each his or her own!

Also, at least with my insurance company, if a 100% authentic Honda anything is requested I can get it, I just may have to pay the difference if it isn't the lowest of three bids/quotes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts