Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to get new tires for my 08 EX before I do some traveling. My original Goodyears have about had it. After reading several threads, I hit the streets and got a few quotes - all 225/70/16:

Michelin LTX M/S $750 at local chain
GoodYear Fortera Silent Armor $750
Firestone Destination LE $506 at Tires Plus (buy 3 get 1 free)
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza $699 at Tires Plus (not including hazard)
Cooper Discoverer $550 at small shop

The guy at Tires Plus also quoted me about $750 on a set of LTX, but was convinced that the Duelers were a better tire due to their "technology" and something about them staying black longer (not fading???).

Anyway, found it kinda tough to make a good decision as everyone seems to have a rather subjective favorite (or they make more money).

I really had my mind set on the Michelins, but ouch.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
wOw!... wHERE DO LIVE ????

I paid 64.00 ea. for my Geolanders... 356.00 + 28.00 (for the install and stems)... 384.00 +tax... that was about 18 months ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Omaha, NE - I've never bought tires before so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Tire Rack has a recommended shop in town. I'm considering purchasing from them and having them shipped. The Geos are on my list, as well as the Nokians. I'm really not that picky, just wanna make a good buy. Like many members, I'm not real happy with the stock GYs as they seem really squishy even on dry pavement. Just today I squeeled on the way to the tire store a couple times (35k on em).

Tire Rack rates the LTX high and the Duelers, too. But I'm not sure if I'm willing to drop $700 plus if I can get good rubber for ~$500

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
tire rack or discount tire direct or even summit racing has good prices.

Welcome to paying for your car on top of paying for your car.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Holy cow, you're not kidding. I checked locally, too, with similar results. Yikes! :shock:

Tire prices have gone nuts for some reason. The current set of Michs I bought nearly 60K ago came in around $500 and change. Good thing they're lasting forever, yes?

FWIW, Michelin has a $70-off promotion going right now. Was that figured in any of your quotes?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was kinda wondering if it that pricing was normal for these parts or an affect of the "summer driving season" coming on.

No one mentioned anything about the Michelin rebate. I got the impression from 2 shops that they didn't really want to sell me Michelins period - perhaps they just sensed that I hadn't made up my mind.

I think I'vedecided that I want to buy the best set for no more than $600 out the door. Tires are important and all. My driving is pretty tame, but I do hit lots of gravel when heading to the Northwoods, and I'm usually pretty drunk (just kidding!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
the great thing about Tire Rack is that you can really research different tires there, and if you decide to buy you have a huge selection in your size, while any local shop will be lucky to have 3 or 4 choices in your size. I bought tires for our Crv and Element both through Tire Rack - just got the set for the Element last month -General Grabber HTS - $91.00 per tire, [225x70x16] -plus shipping,before a special offer of $50.00 rebate in the form of Visa gift card.
FIW, I love these tires, and they were a Consumer Guide best buy. Paid $75.00 to a quality local shop for mounting and balance. After the rebate, that's a great set of tires, for about $450.00.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tires

Michelins are the best tires out there overall and you pay for it.
Next are Yokohama and Toyo
Followed by Pirelli Nokian
Then Continental and Bridgestone
BFg crappy quality control
General, Uniroyal are near the bottom

Kumho

At the bottom Goodyear and Firestone.

Staying black longer what a load of crap.

Michelins are better tires than Bridgestones by far.
Try Toyo

Remember after about 50k miles all the tread compounds that made the tire something besides a just a pice of rubber have heat cycled out.

Fred

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Check local prices on the General Grabber HTS. Some areas they are 1/2 the price of the LTX, some areas nearly as much.

I like mine. I got 'em last Fall for arount $70 each mounted & balanced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rank at Tire Rack and consumer reviews put the General Grabber up there on my list - also because of the price. Any reason why you put General at the "bottom", Fredmertz?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
In my opinion it is very hard to rank tire manufacturers in general. Yes Michelin tires are great no doubt but the ranking of the others is kind of flawed. Firestone tires are also Bridgestone as they are the same company. I think every manufacturer make such a wide range of tires and at different prices that with maybe a few exceptions, you could find a poor tire and a great tire for your needs from each company. I have had a set of Kumho tires that were awesome on my old sports car and a set on my wife's old Saab 9-5 SE that were great as well but I have also driven a car with the cheaper Kumho tires and they sucked!

The best way I have found is to research the tires you have narrowed your search to on sites like Tire Rack where there is a lot of reviews from customers. Look at the reviews from customers who drive similar cars to what you have and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Any reason why you put General at the "bottom", Fredmertz?
It isn't really fair to "generalize," (no pun intended) when it comes to quality and brands. General does have some really crappy tires, but so do GoodYear and other bramds. Some Michelins are great, but some Michelins cost 2x as much as Generals, Coopers, or Firestones, and aren't even a little bit better.

The stock Generals on our 1/2 ton Chevy work truck were crap, but the Grabber HTS on my E are great, as are the Firestone Destination LEs we put on the truck as replacements.

Check out a few of the Grabber HTS threads/comments you'll find here on the EOC. Everything I've read has been positive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Decided to get new tires for my 08 EX before I do some traveling. My original Goodyears have about had it. After reading several threads, I hit the streets and got a few quotes - all 225/70/16:

Michelin LTX M/S $750 at local chain
GoodYear Fortera Silent Armor $750
Firestone Destination LE $506 at Tires Plus (buy 3 get 1 free)
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza $699 at Tires Plus (not including hazard)
Cooper Discoverer $550 at small shop

The guy at Tires Plus also quoted me about $750 on a set of LTX, but was convinced that the Duelers were a better tire due to their "technology" and something about them staying black longer (not fading???).

Anyway, found it kinda tough to make a good decision as everyone seems to have a rather subjective favorite (or they make more money).

I really had my mind set on the Michelins, but ouch.
Thanks for starting this thread Ephraim. Tires are such a trixy animal. Its good to get some solid advice and options. I'm a bit of a tire freak. The car I just sold to get my new "E" (delivery expected this week) had 3 sets of rims and tires. Now I have a new list to create :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I think I'm gonna give the Generals a go. Place just down the street will install them for $460 and there is a $50 rebate - and they've got them in stock. Funny that they don't carry a black letter HTS, so they'll turn 'em around.

Woot!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Usually tires with white letters have black on the other side so there is no need to stock or produce two different sets of the same tire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it's a done deal.

New set of General Grabber HTS for $506 out the door (Marion Tire here in Omaha). The rebate I mentioned before is actually a pre-paid Visa card which expires 06/25/2009.

I asked the guy why some people may have issues with Generals, and he told me that 6 years ago they were one of the worst tires on the market. According to him (and apparently lots of others) this is no longer the case.

My 2.5 mile road test back to work yielded quieter and and just kinda different. I noticed that there is less thump when driving over the expansion seams. Gonna hit the interstate after work.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow! Thos preices you qouted originally did seem pretty steep. I just priced out a pair of Yokahama Geolanders at Town Fair Tire, and I think it was about $400.00, out the door. That was also with their price protection, they were willing to bear tirerack.com by a buck or two. And I'm told they also have a AAA discount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, it's a done deal.

New set of General Grabber HTS for $506 out the door (Marion Tire here in Omaha). The rebate I mentioned before is actually a pre-paid Visa card which expires 06/25/2009.

I asked the guy why some people may have issues with Generals, and he told me that 6 years ago they were one of the worst tires on the market. According to him (and apparently lots of others) this is no longer the case.

My 2.5 mile road test back to work yielded quieter and and just kinda different. I noticed that there is less thump when driving over the expansion seams. Gonna hit the interstate after work.

I just got the same size tire on my wifes E at Marion I got the Kumho's Solus KR21 for $360 installed and balanced.
Marion is the cheapest in town.
Do not be afraid of the General HT's those are good tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just so happen that I'm shopping for tires as well. Here's what I'm looking at:

BFG long trail t/a for discounttiredirect.com. Free shipping + $70 rebate per set + $50 discount if you apply for their card + installation at local discount tire store = $386 total.

Geolandar from the same place is $421 installed. The $50 discount still apply but no $70 rebate.

Bridgestone dueler from a local shop for $487 installed.

General Grabber isn't even in my radar so I'll have to do some more research on them.

Between the Long trail, Geolandar, and Dueler, what's everyone's opinion of them?

·
Registered
225 Posts
In a week or two I will be ordering some 225/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S for my E, I can't wait. All the reviews on them are great. I will be ordering from Tirerack.com, I think about 420 bucks after shipping.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts