Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I'm looking for a tangerine (full body, not black fenders) 2007-2011 EX AWD with automatic transmission. I'd like to stay under 200,000 miles (obviously, the lower the better). Ideally the transmission fluid and rear differential fluids have been changed regularly (as well as the oil). Underside should be fairly rust free (photos of rear suspension coming apart are scary). Within a few hundred miles of Cincinnati, OH would be good, but I've gone as far as the east coast and Florida from here to get a car. Detailed service history is a plus.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
678 Posts
Here's one with everything you want except the AWD:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWD, we don't need no stinkin' FWD! ;) Thanks for the tip. I can search the internet; this post was more directed at a member who might be thinking about selling. I'd prefer to buy from an enthusiast who may take better care of it than the "normal" auto owner or a dealer that has little or no history of the vehicle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK, Tangerine only may be optimistic. I guess the other way members could be helpful is if they find one for sale near them if they could go take an initial look for me to see if it worth my time to travel to look and possibly buy. Looked at a 2007 with 141,000 in Indianapolis yesterday, but it looked like the transmission fluid had never been changed (light brown, certainly not red - no record of a change in the CarFax), oil pan leaked (pain in the backside to fix), with a few other minor mechanical and cosmetic issues.

Also looked at a gray one here in Cincy; 193k; cosmetically in pretty good condition, but exhaust leak and scary sounds from the transmission while driving and fluid was light brown (reportedly changed at about 153k).

Tried to ask a guy in a WalMart parking lot today if he might be interested in selling. I was somewhat surprised by his brusque "Not interested" as I was trying to introduce myself (maybe he was having a bad day). I guess I thought most Element owners would be happy to talk about them, even if not planning to sell. I've never had a similar experience when approaching owners of 90-93 Accords.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As the title states, I'm looking for a tangerine (full body, not black fenders) 2007-2011 EX AWD with automatic transmission. I'd like to stay under 200,000 miles (obviously, the lower the better). Ideally the transmission fluid and rear differential fluids have been changed regularly (as well as the oil). Underside should be fairly rust free (photos of rear suspension coming apart are scary). Within a few hundred miles of Cincinnati, OH would be good, but I've gone as far as the east coast and Florida from here to get a car. Detailed service history is a plus.
Go onto Auto trader or car fax and do a search in the 17109 zip code. You'll see several in the color you desire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm posting up my '06 in a minute...Just before the refresh yes but I've taken decent care of it, keep an eye out for my post.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone in the north Atlanta area available to look at a 2007 EX at Georgia Import Auto?

·
Registered
678 Posts
fleetw00d: Check this one out, it just appeared in the Trading Post section:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip. Sent him a private message. Darn, FL charges out of state buyers full sales tax (6%) to get a temporary tag, then I'd have to pay it again (6.5%) to title it in OH, not to mention getting down there and back.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's actually a bit worse. Lakewood Ranch is in Manatee county; so you will have to pay 7% on the first $5000. (I think it still works that way.) That means if the seller is asking $12K, your FL tax due would be $770. Ouch! : - (

What does it cost to transport a car these days? Like you said, by the time you factor in your costs to get there, it may cost you less to transport it; if indeed that's a legal way out of paying any FL taxes. (Not too sure about that either.) Check the rules in your state; you may just need to get some type of affidavit to prove what you paid for the car. Then, hopefully, you'll only have to pay the piper in Ohio.

Then, of course, the only thing left of concern is if the car for sale is indeed in the condition as described! I don't know about you, but I would be a bit nervous about relying on only some pictures to know what I am getting!

It's not getting any easier! Too bad our so called "government" keeps finding new and unique ways of reaching into our pockets! : - (

I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I passed on one in Chicago the other day with only 69k miles, but pictures of the underside were ugly - looked like the oil pan was almost rusted through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts