Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's with the wafer thin "chip o matic" windshield on these things? I have had this car less that four months and already have two chips (dings) in the windshield. I have never even heard anything hit the windshield and do not drive out in the boonies or cross country. It just seems that the glass is rather fragile. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't think it's so much the glass, but rather the angle of the glass. The E windshield is much like a bus windshield. Rocks blast straight into it, rather than glancing off it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yes the glass is wafer thin and attracts rocks like a magnet but, there is more.
If you ever drive through mist or heavy fog watch where it hits the windshield, about midway up. There is a lack of aerodynamics to be sure. I would like to hear from someone with a bug deflector, if it helps redirect or disrupt the airflow hitting the windshield. The rock chips I've had have not turned into cracks though. I'm on windshield number four and all of them were victims of stress fractures. Honda actually paid for one of them under a TSB. Oh well that's what comp glass coverage is for, cheaper than going through engines and transmissions in a Chevy or Dodge.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
...I would like to hear from someone with a bug deflector, if it helps redirect or disrupt the airflow hitting the windshield. ...
There is a fair amount of discussion on this on the boards as well. IME the bug deflector makes little difference except for keeping bugs and rocks off the leading edge of the hood. I have one of the aerodynamic ones, however. If you got one of the old style flat ones that stands perpendicular to the hood it would probably work better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts