Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting pretty frustrated with my XM lately. It seems that I can be running down the interstate at 80mph and when going under a small underpass I STILL lose reception for about two seconds. I guess im just wondering because I never saw these types of issues with my aftermarket Sirius system that I had before. I understand if im in a tunnel or sitting under a gas pump cover. However, while running under a bridge im not under it for more than a fraction of a second. Its like the buffer is not working like it should be.

Also, about once a week after I change the channel the signal will come in-out-in-out-int-out....and so on until I "reboot" the radio.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I do get that from time to time but only under the lower clearance bridges that carry 6+ lanes. There is also a section on the highway I frequent that is just a dead spot with a hill/mountain cut through that seems to block the signal. I do remember a few years ago XM was having some satellite issues and the signal would go out on tree lined streets. It is always possible they are having some issues again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mine loses the signal in almost all underpasses, roads with overhanging trees, and in areas where the road surface is between very close and steep hills. It's done this since I bought the E new in 2007 and this being my first experience with satellite radio, I thought it was normal.

I have since added an XM radio to my Miata and, while it has the similar issues, they don't seem as severe.

Of course, in some of these same places, cell phone reception is lost as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Similar...

But not quite that severe for me.

I, too, have another vehicle with an after market Sirius Radio. I drive the same roads with both vehicles and NEVER have any dropout with the Sirius (Except for the noted parking garages and gas stations).

I had posted a question about this also when I first started listening to my XM. I recall one response being that XM has fewer satellites and and therefore less adequate coverage. I seem to recall mention of Sirius having some repeaters for better coverage.

I can not state these things as fact, just what I recall being told. It doesn't seem as bad lately... But my XM certainly does cut out with greater frequency than my Sirius.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
XM has geosynchronous satellites that orbit near the equator, so you will lose signal if something comes between your antenna and the southern horizon. Sirius has asynchronous satellites; there's no south bias, but satellites are always coming and going, so the signal can fade with no obvious reason until the next bird comes into view.

I couldn't say which service (yes I know it's all one company now) has more terrestrial repeaters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It happens to me on some highway underpasses, and random streets in my town with big trees. I think it just happens to be the direction you are going at the time of day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just traded my Kia Soul for an 06 with XM radio and really have noticed the difference between the sirius in the Soul and the XM in the element. Never dropped the signal in the Soul unless in a tunnel or underpass and with XM it seems to drop fairly consistently. Oh well.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
My XM has never given me a problem.

I don't pay and it don't let me down.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got my E today and noticed on the way home that the signal was lost several times, this while out in the country...wondering if I should even spend the money on a subscription

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
as mentioned above, XM uses geostationary satellites that orbit the earth at the equator. therefore, the further you are away from the equator, the more likely your antenna will be shaded by mountains, trees, buildings, etc.
this contrasts with Sirius which uses highly elliptical orbits that positions satellites mostly over north america. both services supplement the satellites with terrestrial
transmitters, especially near populated areas.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
I'm still not paying!... I did get a free 2 month trial offer. Yep same old boring music played back to back. Still cuts out under overpass or under large trees.

And they sent a reminder to renew 1 yr for $200.00 are you kiddin me?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Never used it before but just got mail for the 2 mo free trial without giving XM your credit card. So I guess I'll try it, but I don't see paying $200 for it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just looked up the offer that Sirius has for 2 free months, entered my E's radio ID and got the subscription without having to enter my credit card number.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I have had Sirius/XM in two cars throughout the last 5+ years, and notice that
1) certain antennas seem to perform better than others. I had to replace one (the flat, pancake sized type) once due to a pinched wire, and found that the replacement (more compact rectangular type) was not as effective. The cut-outs got so annoying that I bought the pancake type again, and the signal was lost much less frequently. In my latest SVX-200 kit, I received the lesser-desired type, and lo and behold, it cuts out easily.
2) indeed, when line of sight is lost between the receiver and the satellite, the signal does drop-out.

Overall though, it's still

·
Registered
229 Posts
"No Signal" on XM radio

So... for the last 24 hours now, the XM radio in my '08 SC has indicated "No Signal" when trying to utilize it. Parked in the driveway is my wife's '14 CRV in which the XM radio has a signal just fine.

I'm currently at a loss. My payments are up to date. Besides, even if you are not subscribed you get a signal that plays the "preview" channel. Any ideas or suggestions?? I have a long trip at the end of this week and would like the XM to be working....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you called XM? I seem to remember this happening before and XM had to refresh my number in their computer and it then worked.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not yet...

Have you called XM? I seem to remember this happening before and XM had to refresh my number in their computer and it then worked.
I have not yet called. I may just have to do so and see it that cures what ails me.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
The combination of an underpass blocking line of site with steel girders causes loss of sync. Unlike an analog signal, a digital signal will break completely until synch is re-established. Digital broadcast TV viewers see loss of synch as pixelation or frozen frame with no audio.

The degree and duration of a break depends on the position of the satellite and the direction of travel. A southern satellite and a vehicles traveling NS may maintain synch due to reflection off the road surface, where a EW traveling vehicle would be solidly blocked.

Add to this the early 2000s design of the Element antenna . . .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts