Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid Question... I want a XM radio for my E. Can I buy one and run it off of the Aux plug? I don't want to lose the stock radio and sounds. I just want to be able to connect it to to the existing plug and go. Possible? Help! I'd like to know brands and models if possible too...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, there are several threads with very good pictures on this site. The model that would probably suit you the best is the Delphi Sky-Fi.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Theyre good at selling them, but I wouldn't even send someone I hated there for an install, I have too much respect for cars. :wink:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
[quote:094e3de6e9="vegasbaby"]Is Best Buy and Circuit City any good at these things?[/quote:094e3de6e9]

i used to work there... the worst days of my life.

whatever you do, don't give in to their "accessory" pressure or any of the "buy our product service plan" (aka, extended warranty)!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
My experience has been different. I've bought XM radios at Circuit City and had them do the installs multiple times (my husband's truck, my dad's, my old car, and now my E). I have had excellent service and they have done a good job on the installations.

With my E, I bought the Delphi, so the install was really just running the antenna wire and fabricating a bracket for the receiver. I've got that mounted just in front of the AUX input, and I've just got it plugged in to the power there too, no hard wiring.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I will have to interject my 2 cents here....my husband (a full time MBA student) works part time at Circuit City....first off the discount is incredible! Second off, the guys in the back who do the installs are worshipers of their cars....and when I brought my E in for them to totally upgrade my stereo syatem and get a Viper alarm installed....man did they ever go crazy over the E....they truly babied my baby!

One of the guys even thinks his next car will be an E!

I am not saying that all Best Buys and Circuit City's have excellent installers, but in all honesty neither do all Honda Dealerships.....I seem to remeber some posts about jagged cuts, but I may be mistaken. Either way who ever does the install is fully liable for any damage.

Also, on a side note as far as the extended warranty goes....I didn't buy it for my car components, but we did just purchase a new $600 digital camera, and you better believe we bought the extended warranty on that.....but then again I am one of the few who bought it in the E as well, if a few extra bucks can save me a major headache or two down the line then I am in.

Just my 2 cents of course!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So say NO to extra none needed accesories and be careful if they do the install. Is the Delphi the way to go? There is also a small Pioneer out, I want to check out. Any word?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I haven't seen a new Pioneer, but my husband has a Pioneer that's over a year old. He wants a Delphi like mine. The main reason is the nice big bright display, which gives entire song names, etc. The Pioneer truncates the names. Plus, I like the versatility of the Delphi...I hope I'm getting the boom box for my Delphi for my birthday this weekend. (I've hinted enough.) :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
I haven't seen a new Pioneer, but my husband has a Pioneer that's over a year old. He wants a Delphi like mine. The main reason is the nice big bright display, which gives entire song names, etc. The Pioneer truncates the names. Plus, I like the versatility of the Delphi...I hope I'm getting the boom box for my Delphi for my birthday this weekend. (I've hinted enough.) :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just came back from Circuit City and Best Buy. They both say I can't use my AUX plug and need to install it using an FM modulator ($50). There has to be a way to do it. I would think. Best Buy $220 and Circuit City $230 total incl. install.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would look at the new Sirius portable units, I prefer the commercial free music stations in my bros car with Sirius. The XM service does not have as many commercial free stations, if I'm paying money for the music I don't want to hear commercials. I don't have sattelite radio yet, but that my two cents.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Vegas, they are absolutely wrong. Many of us are using the AUX without a FM modulator for XM. I bought the connecting cable from Radio Shack for a couple of dollars. It's just an audio cable that connects two 1/8" miniplugs. The only problem I had was finding a short one so I didn't have wire all over the place.

Kristi

·
Registered
61 Posts
Think I'm getting the Delphi system and wire into the aux for both power and audio. I want to be able to move into my other vehicle easily. Think I may also get the portable delphi boom box too. Anyone have suggestions for easy mounting on on delphi unit wired to the aux?

:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what I thought. Goes to show you what they know... I'm going to go to an audio place up the street from me and see what they say. I can find the whole package on Ebay for about $150 or so. Maybe I can have someone install it.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You just have to find a place that someone you know has had good luck with. I like to do it myself if it is a small custom job only because I know I will be extra careful about not scratching or maring anything. I had a bad experience with The Wiz years ago when I bought a Kenwood deck and had them install it into my Celica I had at the time. The guy wired 2 of the friken speakers out of phase. I did'nt even bother to bring it back, I just fixed it my self. Yes like any place though I'm sure there are some Circuit City's with good guys there doing installs but unlike the small shops that speacialize in car audio, most chain stores get you in and out quickly and leaves more room for error as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think where the biggest misconception here is how the XM connects to the stereo itself.

With the 'E' having an AUX plug-in and power supply located in a prime area, there is no need for a modulator. What you need is the vehicle adapter kit. This kit includes a power adapter and a cassette adapter. The only thing you really need to do is plug in the power and use an auxiliary jack (male-to-male) wire instead of the cassette adapter.

The only wiring I see this sort of install requiring is the antenna itself. Otherwise, we 'E' owners have it made in the shade with an almost professional looking install at a very low cost.

If anyone is doing it different than this, please correct me. I have not done it yet, but after reading how easy it was, I am very much concidering it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Delphi is coming out with the "Roady", similar to the Skyfi, but it doesn't require a car kit and comes with a very small antenna. http://www.xmradio.com/roady/ The Skyfi is better if you plan to use it at home but the Roady is cheaper about $120 for the whole thing.

Also the XM commander is coming out:

·
Registered
59 Posts
After reading the posted page, I think it is best to assume that the Roady would fit most 'E' owners needs for a non permanent install. The Road Commander states very plainly that it is a modulator unit.

However, it is nice to see that Delphi is thinking of us and producing more products. I am thinking that I will buy a Roady now, as opposed to the SkiFi. I love the new antenna :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm holding out til this comes out!!! The Roady is exactly want I've been looking for. I hope the reception is the same as the SKYFi. No dates on when its coming out?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts