Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been an E owner for about a week and a half and so far I can't love it enough. The stereo, unbeknownst to me, came not only with a fully-installed XM radio, but with an apparent subscription as well. I turned it on for fun and am quickly becoming seduced by all the great channels on there. Now I have Pandora, as well as an iPod and even a little pocket HD Radio I got from Best Buy on a promotional discount, but I'm wondering if I'm subscribed by mistake, or if they're going to pull the rug out from under me and I'll start getting announcements to pay up or tune out. It was never discussed with the dealer and I've just been set up on a promotional subscription to whet my appetite. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been an E owner for about a week and a half and so far I can't love it enough. The stereo, unbeknownst to me, came not only with a fully-installed XM radio, but with an apparent subscription as well. I turned it on for fun and am quickly becoming seduced by all the great channels on there. Now I have Pandora, as well as an iPod and even a little pocket HD Radio I got from Best Buy on a promotional discount, but I'm wondering if I'm subscribed by mistake, or if they're going to pull the rug out from under me and I'll start getting announcements to pay up or tune out. It was never discussed with the dealer and I've just been set up on a promotional subscription to whet my appetite. Any thoughts?
Markarian
I bought a used 05 EX in April, and did the same as you, tried XM for fun. As I do not know the history of the vehicle other than a Car Fax and some repair history, I do not know if the previous owner tried the "Free Trial" or if I was the first. After a few weeks, I signed up for a subscription and we are enjoing it! It works out to about $11.00 per month.
Below is the disclaimer from Honda;
Required XM Radio subscription sold separately after 90-day trial period. Subscriptions are governed by the XM Customer Agreement available at xmradio.com/serviceterms. Other fees and taxes apply after trial period; see XM Customer Agreement for details. Fees and programming subject to change. Service not available in Canada, Alaska, or Hawaii. © 2009 SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. SIRIUS, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries.
http://www.xmradio.com/music
Hope this helps.
Notanku

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have done the Pandora thing but it tends to drop off on my set up once in awhile. I did call xm after the free 3 months were up and many of your fellow E drivers found that xm will give you service for $77 per year. They tell you that they will only do it for one year but if you play the game and tell them your going to stop the service they have re-up service for $77. Some have done this for 3 years. If your passed 3 months I would see if your dealer signed you up! They shut me down right at the 3 month mark.

Here's the post http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46644

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
They will mail you a late letter. Could be 6 months from now. with the $150-$180. price for one year. Call and say "I can't afford this please cancel."
you will be amazed how fast the price comes down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Xm

I bought my Element June 2009.
I didn't ask for XM. I didn't contact them in any way. I have not heard a word from the company but the XM is still working although I rarely listen to it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi guys,

All new vehicle purchases with satellite radio give you 3 months for free. You will get a letter in the mail. You are not subscribed by mistake. There should be XM literature in your glove box with your manual, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My XM "Trial" lasted one year to the day I purchased the vehicle.

My 09 Element came with a "Three month trial" of XM radio, but it didn't shut off until one year after the day I bought the car. You'll know it's deactivated when it won't change to any station other than the automated message.

·
Registered
496 Posts
XM will drop their price!

As noted above I have both experienced and heard from friends how quickly XM offers to drop their price. I think my wife (2010 CRV EX) was offered $5 per month to keep her XM going.

We elected to simply go with one of our eight ipods instead. With the Genius feature and close to 30 days worth of music we can drive for hours without getting tired of the selections.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I enjoy XM satellite radio. My 2006 Element came with a 3-month trial of XM. which I extended until this past weekend. The reason I dropped this subscription is that I travel extensively around the country and only use my Element about 4 days per month. However, I still have XM in my car..

I have had an XM MyFi January 2004. I use this radio everywhere. Yesterday, I installed the car kit for the MyFi into my Element. It took about 2 hours to hide the antenna under the roof molding and wire in another power adapter.

The MyFi works great. For local driving, I use the built-in FM transmitter while on long trips I will use use a patch cord from the headphone jack to the Aux In; this way I do not have to keep finding an open FM location while driving.

BTW, I also use my Droid with MP3s, Pandora, and Slacker in the Element. Yesterday,m I listened to the Patriots whip on on the Bengals on the Droid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
so far I haven't had to pay

We bought our 2010 E in early December and have had XM/Sirius since that time. I have come to appreciate having this service and will likely subscribe if they ever bother to deactivate my car. My only gripe is that the service should apply to any radio I may own since I would like to set this up in the house too.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
you have a choice pay per month for XM or pay upfront for the HD radio jumper box for our trucks.

aparently for 219$ they have a box that goes behind your radio in place of all the xm parts. or in tandem(aux button) but the way its stated it works just like the factory xm controls on the radio and as a bonus. the one i saw added a usb port also http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260641446846&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5900wt_911

We bought our 2010 E in early December and have had XM/Sirius since that time. I have come to appreciate having this service and will likely subscribe if they ever bother to deactivate my car. My only gripe is that the service should apply to any radio I may own since I would like to set this up in the house too.
if you replace your deck. they have mobile docking stations. kinda like removing the face of your radio in the car and putting it on the radio in the house

·
Registered
58 Posts
After reading everyone's post. I think maybe I'll give my XM radio a shot. Usually I don't listen to the radio but it's free for 3 months so I'll give it a try. I tried using it this morning but all I can do is access the 001 channel (preview station). I'll read up on it though. I'm sure it's in the manual.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
After reading everyone's post. I think maybe I'll give my XM radio a shot. Usually I don't listen to the radio but it's free for 3 months so I'll give it a try. I tried using it this morning but all I can do is access the 001 channel (preview station). I'll read up on it though. I'm sure it's in the manual.
If the only thing you can tune is in the preview channel, then its not turned on
to your free preview. All new Honda's come with three months free. If you
call XM, just make sure you dont give them a CC number!!! Tell them you
want your free 3 months. There are threads here about getting it after your
free trial for $77 a year as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Getting my XM ID Number??

Hi All,

So i attempted to set up my free subscription of XM radio, but I was unsuccessful. I tried accessing my ID number but it was a no go. My manual says to hold the tuner button until you see a "0" but that never comes up. I just see dashes through the channel and category slots. Then after a few seconds, the 001 - XM Preview shows up again along with the 800 number at the bottom. Is there something wrong?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All,

So i attempted to set up my free subscription of XM radio, but I was unsuccessful. I tried accessing my ID number but it was a no go. My manual says to hold the tuner button until you see a "0" but that never comes up. I just see dashes through the channel and category slots. Then after a few seconds, the 001 - XM Preview shows up again along with the 800 number at the bottom. Is there something wrong?
I got it figured out. For anyone who might run into this issue again in the future, make sure you're on "channel" mode and not "category". The manual doesn't make that clear and I think by default you're in category mode. So once you're in channel mode, hold the "TUNE" button for about 2 seconds and then you'll hear a beep. Once you hear a beep, press the channel down button and you'll see your ID. Hopefully that helps someone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts